Is Ford's 2015 Global Mustang a Risky Bet?

I have to say though...I'm all in favor of a 3200 pound Mustang even if it means tighter trunk and less rear seat room for kids only. You just can't be all things to all people with potent sport coupe. And Mustang GT is getting into price range where light weight carbon fiber and aluminum can be used more liberally.

I think the Mustang is now too expensive, but then again most vehicles are. They really need to find a way to keep that pricing between $28-$35k.

Seriously? $22K for a 305HP V6 is too much money? The GT has risen in cost, but the V6 offers just about the same performance that the 2005-2009 GT did and the current GT has 425HP which not too long ago was Super Car power ratings.

You can option out a GT for about $35K if you don't go crazy with the options.

As the article inferred, and Detroit has proven, in business if one isn't changing and evolving one is slowly dying. As an engineer I think Ford shouldn't be afraid of changing the Mustang, but relishing in the challenge. As such I'm looking forward to seeing how Ford evolves the Mustang into the future, and don't fear the idea.

Uh. Was there anything in that article?

I cringe even more at the idea of alienating both markets by creating something too big and inefficient for Europe, and too Euro-inspired for the U.S. market. Martin Smith, chief of Ford Europe design, admitted that the challenge represents a fine line to walk. "That is a really interesting challenge," Smith said at the Geneva auto show. "What will emerge from that whole process is one of the best sports cars in the world and one that is still affordable."

• Like 2

IMO, the Mustang is a global icon and does not need to be reinvented. Just IRS and decent interior materials are needed to meet the Euro customers requirements.

And by the noise on forums in Europe, Ford best offer a V8 option as well, or no sale for the die hard Mustang fans.

Edited by MKII

Cabin size on the Mustang is about as small as it can be without alienating buyers.

I think Ford can shrink the footprint simply by looking at the current footprint and saying, 'can we move this?', etc. Likewise, substituting lightweight materials where cost effective can be done.

This is roughly the same challenge facing the F150 team.

The top people on those programs are motivated by more than just their paychecks, so one hopes that there is a keen sense of *what* these vehicles are that will be defended against excessive demands from outside the programs.

For me, the Laguna Seca model really gave me a new found respect for what the Mustang could be. Going global, Ford might as well complete the transformation into a sports car that even Euro road racing enthusiasts can lust after. With V8 still available, Mustang will still be fast in straight line, but with Euro roots be an even greater road racing machine. And also create small displacement turbo that puts out delightful racing sounds that gets your attention, not just a whoooosh.

Cue Ford Jellymoulds in 5...4...3....2.....

Where has he been? LOL

Smaller = Better

Get it closer to the original size.

How much smaller do you want to make it? Its roughly the size of a mid-sized car...if you want a smaller car, get a Focus ST. The car fits people like me at 6'2 just right (along as no one is in the back!) and making it the size of a Fox/SN95 is going to be a major detriment to the car.

Where has he been? LOL

How much smaller do you want to make it? Its roughly the size of a mid-sized car...if you want a smaller car, get a Focus ST. The car fits people like me at 6'2 just right (along as no one is in the back!) and making it the size of a Fox/SN95 is going to be a major detriment to the car.

Uh, where ya been? Ford has already said it would be lighter and smaller. Smaller on outside doesn't necessarilty mean smaller on inside, at least front seating room. No one wants to sit in back of Mustang...I know as I owned one also for 17 years. So in all essence back seats of Stang are basically jump seats for short stretches and/or small people. Not a vehicle you are going to take to Costco/Home Depot either. So it is what it is...make it a true sports car with great power, handling with sophisticated suspension, and great brakes that don't fade after one lap for those who want to race it out of box. These can all be options for those who want to spend the bucks. For those who don't, there are base models or wait few years and buy used. Thje Laguna Seca is not cheap to buy, or at least when it was offered. Mustang GT should benchmark it and improve on it with 6 piston Brembos up front and 4 piston in back. Four hundred pounds lighter, more power, better adjustable suspension, and you have something fans on either side of Atlantic would lust after.

• Like 1

Where this gets really interesting is the increased porkage in the BMW replacement for the 3-series 2-dr. coupe, replaced by the 4-series, with a rear track that's about 3" wider at the back, and about 2" wider in the front. With the Mustang's IRS and a 3.5 EB package . . . :)

Uh, where ya been? Ford has already said it would be lighter and smaller.

a difference of 2-3 inches (maybe 6 inches overall) isn't going to make much of difference!

Difference between the Focus sedan and current Mustang is 10 inches...which is what maybe a whopping 5 inches on each end?

Actually, I'm surprised that it's taken Ford this long to take the Mustang global on a sales basis. Ford's totally messed up the design and marketing of other long established models (Thunderbird, Lincoln Mark, etc.) but they've done a pretty good and consistent job with the Mustang over the years. They fully understand it being an iconic model, with important market and marketing roles.

Sure the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang the past few years but consider the pent up demand for the Camaro which was shown at the car shows for nearly 5 years before the car finally went into production. Ford re-established the Mustang with the 1st next generation "Retro" version with the 2005 Model Year and has continued to refine the car further every year since. When Ford announced that the all-new next generation 2015 Mustang would be sold globally they stated that they would be getting away from the "Retro" styling in order to make the car more appealing to the global market. The market has changed and the buyer demographic along with it. As such, Ford's faced with the dilemma of recreating an iconic model that will appeal to a wider demographic and on a global basis.

Ford is not going to mess up with the 2015 Mustang. They'll provide the V6 & GT powertrains that are established and expected and add an EcoBoost option to help with the global markets as well as EPA and/or CAFE requirements. What's most important to anyone that understands and appreciates the Mustang's iconic status is that the next generation have enough styling clues to identify it as a Ford Mustang, no matter where it's seen!

It's time for an all-new, next generation Mustang that will move the model into the future, still be instantly recognizable as a Mustang and appeal to a wider audience!

I see the next generation Mustang as being a bit shorter, lighter, a bit wider track, and a lower profile as in better aerodynamics. It will of course keep the pony car long roof and short deck look, and other Mustang styling cues that will identify it as Mustang only.

Exactly. I didn't realize that Daniel Miller was a noted car tester/reviewer who commanded respect. I never even heard of the guy until this afternoon.

Dang, most of you guys don't like any auto reviewer no matter how influential they are and experienced. This is a tough peanut gallery only with barbs on end. At least this guy drives a nice looking Stang, and loves cars. So that makes him as good as anyone on here, that's for sure, and he doesn't sound like a know it all which is a character flaw.

Dang, most of you guys don't like any auto reviewer no matter how influential they are and experienced. This is a tough peanut gallery only with barbs on end. At least this guy drives a nice looking Stang, and loves cars. So that makes him as good as anyone on here, that's for sure, and he doesn't sound like a know it all which is a character flaw.

Actually I have a lot of respect for car reviewers who have spend their lives reviewing and testing cars. Some are quite good and I do listen to their comments and opinions. I like Tony Swan as well as Mark Phelan. I also liked the late David E. Davis Jr.

I have little respect for some bloke who writes part-time for an investment company who, for some reason, feels compelled to tell us what he thinks. Like who cares?

Really??

How about we keep it to the last thirty years....

Some here are reading way too much into the intended changes, it's still an evolved S197 with IRS

so the body length and proportioning will be the same, styling will be up to date but with strong Mustang cues.

The fact that Mustang is going global does not mean that America is not lead engineers on the car,

styling considerations will also come from Europe and Asia but that's weighted against it's potential sales in those regions.

• Like 1