Is Ford's 2015 Global Mustang a Risky Bet?

Really??

1974_00017_01.jpg

Keep the Mustang ll in context of the times please. Not exactly happy camper times for muscle cars as Mustang V8 didn't make reappearance until 1982 or so. Those times were the Dark Ages when it came to high performance vehicles. Speedometers and speeds didn't go much beyond the double nickel.

Keep the Mustang ll in context of the times please. Not exactly happy camper times for muscle cars as Mustang V8 didn't make reappearance until 1982 or so. Those times were the Dark Ages when it came to high performance vehicles. Speedometers and speeds didn't go much beyond the double nickel.

Wrong! In 1975, the 302 V8 was fitted to the car....1974 was the only year a Mustang was not available with a V8 in the US marketplace.

The Mustang II wasn't a bad car for the time. I like the styling of the Mustang II, Granada, Gran Torino, and other Fords of that era. I wouldn't mind the return of a Mustang notchback coupe.

With today's trick suspension parts, an EB 2.0 with a 6-speed could be an interesting ride. :)

With today's trick suspension parts, an EB 2.0 with a 6-speed could be an interesting ride. :)

A 3400 lb coupe with EB I-4 and 6-speed Auto or manual transmissions,

a car that can really put it to GM's Alpha based compacts

be that ATS or next Camaro

Every time I look at Alpha, I think yeah you've done good technical work

but was there a much better more simpler solution to weight reduction.

Edited by jpd80

I prefer the larger size. If I wanted small I'd get a Mazda Miata. While it has its drawbacks the Dodge Challenger is big, comfy, and plenty fast!

Remember, lighter weight does mean greater power even with no hp increase, and better fuel mileage too. So those auto companies that can lighten their vehicles most effectively will have upper hand going forward. As fuel prices continue to rise with state and federal tax increases almost assured along with tighter emission controls, fuel mileage concerns will only become greater. And that is where Chrysler is weakest...fleet fuel mileage. Rumored Barracuda coming.

I've always been interested in a Mustang convertible, but the Mustang itself has never appealed to me because it's just a cheap and crude car. The new 'worldly' Mustang might be my first.

Edited by BORG

I've always been interested in a Mustang convertible, but the Mustang itself has never appealed to me because it's just a cheap and crude car. The new 'worldly' Mustang might be my first.

Obviously it's been many years since you've looked at a Mustang convertible! It's neither cheap or crude!

the irony is that the genesis coupe has more room than the mustang while being lighter than the mustang.

At 3433 lbs for the V6 Genesis, I doubt there's much in it at all..

What Genesis coupe shows is the better utilization of space on a longer wheelbase versus the Mustang.

Imagine the Mustang with 4" more wheelbase and built on a variation of Falcon's platform.

Edited by jpd80

Really??

1974_00017_01.jpg

Say what you will about the Deuce, it was the right car for the times and sold well. It also kept the Mustang alive, something that would not have happened if Ford had kept building the same car it sold in '71, like Chevy and Pontiac did.

1974-1978 Sales (Source unknown)

Mustang/Camaro

1974: 385,993/ 151,008

1975: 188,575/ 145,770

1976: 187,567/ 182,959

1977: 153,173/ 218,858

1978: 192,410/ 272,631

1979: 369,936/ 282,571

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/mustang-vs-camaro-yearly-sales-totals-reference-needed-7419/

• Like 1

Say what you will about the Deuce, it was the right car for the times and sold well. It also kept the Mustang alive, something that would not have happened if Ford had kept building the same car it sold in '71, like Chevy and Pontiac did.

1974-1978 Sales (Source unknown)

Mustang/Camaro

1974: 385,993/ 151,008

1975: 188,575/ 145,770

1976: 187,567/ 182,959

1977: 153,173/ 218,858

1978: 192,410/ 272,631

1979: 369,936/ 282,571

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/mustang-vs-camaro-yearly-sales-totals-reference-needed-7419/

Geezus, it's even brown and tan. Gah I hate the 70's.

All it needs is a school teacher with matching shoes and teeth...

My 11th grade History teacher, Mr. Green had a light green '76 Coupe DeVille with a dark green padded half vinyl top. He always found some way to work the fact that he had a Cadillac into any conversation. The funny thing is that he was afraid to park the Caddy in the Teacher's lot so he drove a '64 Nova to school.

My 11th grade History teacher, Mr. Green had a light green '76 Coupe DeVille with a dark green padded half vinyl top. He always found some way to work the fact that he had a Cadillac into any conversation. The funny thing is that he was afraid to park the Caddy in the Teacher's lot so he drove a '64 Nova to school.

Sounds like FB :)

Geezus, it's even brown and tan. Gah I hate the 70's.

Know what's worse than a poop brown and tan 70s Mustang II?

A poop brown and tan 4 door 70s Maverick. In high school I could drive that or the Orange 74 Hornet Station wagon with plaid seats. Let's just say I knew there was no way any of my dates were into me for my car.

Know what's worse than a poop brown and tan 70s Mustang II?

A poop brown and tan 4 door 70s Maverick. In high school I could drive that or the Orange 74 Hornet Station wagon with plaid seats. Let's just say I knew there was no way any of my dates were into me for my car.

The 1970's make me seriously wonder what they hell they where thinking....nothing that came out of that decade style wise was a good idea and all of it has aged really badly for the most part.

The 1970's make me seriously wonder what they hell they where thinking....nothing that came out of that decade style wise was a good idea and all of it has aged really badly for the most part.

Except for that most excellent harvest gold and avocado green appliances and shag carpeting.............

recreational drugs were in their infancy back then - science has made remarkable strides since the 70's

biggrin.gif