2014 Chevy Silverado V8 beats EcoBoost Fuel Economy

whats missed here, and what seems to be missed a LOT, is the eco-boost engine wasnt designed for out and out mileage, its an alternative to the 6.2....tow ratings people TOW ratings, name an engine that can tow as much as the eco with similar mileage....THATS its strength..capability WITH competitive mileage in everyday driving....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Good to see the pickup and pony car wars heating up big time. Now fan boys on each side can vomit all over each other in their absurd claims and counter claims. The winner is the buyer who gets better vehicle because of the intense competiton, and more choice as both take risks that comes along with gobs of profit.

• Like 1

Good to see the pickup and pony car wars heating up big time. Now fan boys on each side can vomit all over each other in their absurd claims and counter claims. The winner is the buyer who gets better vehicle because of the intense competiton, and more choice as both take risks that comes along with gobs of profit.

Well said, FordBuyer. I have no doubt that Ford will improve real world fuel-efficiency and reliability of its turbocharged V6 engine in response to GM's new powertrain lineup.

whats missed here, and what seems to be missed a LOT, is the eco-boost engine wasnt designed for out and out mileage, its an alternative to the 6.2....tow ratings people TOW ratings, name an engine that can tow as much as the eco with similar mileage....THATS its strength..capability WITH competitive mileage in everyday driving....

Evidently, the new 5.3 can plus 200 lbs and gets 1 mpg better hwy.

Edited by chevys

How nice, an engine that is less powerful and less capable than another engine manages to get better gas mileage.

See what I mean about vomiting all over each other. The new Silverado V8 has 355hp and about 385 pounds of torque, and gets 1mpg more than Ford's EB in 2wd and 4wd. So the power numbers are close and the fuel mileage numbers very close. Really neglible, but the fan boys start up with the nonsense. Both are good engines and give the buyer some choice...a turbo V6 or a more conventional V8 that is powerful. Take your pick and be happy.

• Like 1

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright......................anyways , the competition is good....

Im just playing devils advocate like the Ford camp does when Ford pencil whips tow ratings. The only difference is Chevy did it this time.

It's not that the actual numbers are bad - they're pretty good actually. It's just the advertising and comparison used that are misleading. And if Ford does the same thing (which they probably have at some point) I'd say the same thing.

At the end of the day, this will have hardly any effect on the sales of the Ford F-Series or Chevrolet and GMC pickups.

The Ford and GM pickups both have legions of loyal buyers, and they will keep buying their preferred brand, unless something really awful happens - such as the wheels falling off at 70 mph on a regular basis, or the engines exploding just after the warranty ends.

The media doesn't get this.

This is not about stealing F150 Ecoboost sales, this is about convincing estranged Silverado buyers back into the showroom

a lot of Silverado and GMC buyers refused to purchase another truck until GM did significant upgrades.

Traditionally, the bulk of silverado sales are the 5.3 version, so this update goes to satisfying the needs of those customers.

Does anyone here think that Ford is at all worried about F150 sales, after announcing an increase in Q2 production.

Edited by jpd80

How nice, an engine that is less powerful and less capable than another engine manages to get better gas mileage.

While being less expensive and less mechanically complex. It's all a trade-off. GM intends their new 5.3L to compete directly with the Ford 5.0L. Their answer to the Ecoboost is still a ways off.

Edited by 7Mary3
  • Like 1

Exactly. But they'll compare the 5.3 to the 3.5EB when and where it suits them.

I get that, I get why they'd make a big deal of that in their press release. However, I'm not such a fan of people snarfing that up and not applying those critical thinking skills that we, theoretically, are taught in school.

• Like 1

And will they address the Vortec's piston slapping issue as well, its amazing how I have dinner at a restaurant with outside dining and they start their Gm trucks and I just stop "oh thats a GM Truck"...then when you hear power steering whine "Oh thats probably an Aerostar/Windstar"...