Ford ratings in Consumer Reports, below average reliability

perhaps Im just a tad jaded due to the fact that the rest of the vehicles are pretty much flawless, I have basically ZERO complainta about everything BUT the MFT / sync system....so, sorry if what Im stating is coming off as a rant....

Understandable...but the real issue is that I think people think things in cars should be flawless (most items are because they've been perfected over the past 40-50 years) and when the MFT has a hiccup, people bitch about it. Mine has done some weird stuff, but with my background in tech, I understand why its happening. We are at the DOS/Windows 3.1 level of computer tech from the 1990s (and its reliability) with MFT, whereas every is used to "it just works" with Windows 7/8 or OSX when it comes to nearly everything else.

Ford's troubles are further exasperated by Cell phone manufactures not conforming to standards, or there not being any standards to conform too. I'm sure that Caddy is going to run into the same problems with its system.

Ford's troubles are further exacerbated by Cell phone manufactures not conforming to standards, or there not being any standards to conform too. I'm sure that Caddy is going to run into the same problems with its system.

FTFY. ;)

And CUE/MyLink/(whatever the Buick and GMC names are) according to the reviews are especially rough to use at first. No one talks about them as much because (1) their system is still new and (2) all eyes are still on Ford. Also, like Ford, the GM system is said to have a considerable learning curve.

Understandable...but the real issue is that I think people think things in cars should be flawless (most items are because they've been perfected over the past 40-50 years) and when the MFT has a hiccup, people bitch about it. Mine has done some weird stuff, but with my background in tech, I understand why its happening. We are at the DOS/Windows 3.1 level of computer tech from the 1990s (and its reliability) with MFT, whereas every is used to "it just works" with Windows 7/8 or OSX when it comes to nearly everything else.

Ford's troubles are further exasperated by Cell phone manufactures not conforming to standards, or there not being any standards to conform too. I'm sure that Caddy is going to run into the same problems with its system.

ironically its REALLY interesting how many people have no idea where to find Bluetooth on their own beloved Cell Phone....lol...... Edited by Deanh

Actually CU did not say well below avg., just below avg. which JD powers confirms, albeit only one point..

1.27 flaws per vehicle vs 1.26 flaws per vehicle is not below averate. It is a statistical variance and/or anomaly.

Most all averages are given a range. However, to make themselves relevant, all of the guru's of what is reliable have determined that average is an absolute number. Thus, the difference between below average (Ford) and above average (Chevy) is .02 problems per vehicle. BS

Frankly, that is a crock of poop.

FTFY. ;)

And CUE/MyLink/(whatever the Buick and GMC names are) according to the reviews are especially rough to use at first. No one talks about them as much because (1) their system is still new and (2) all eyes are still on Ford. Also, like Ford, the GM system is said to have a considerable learning curve.

I have used CUE and its overly complicated, over kill and a general pain in the ass. Its probably better than MFT but thats not saying much. I would not give you 30 cents for CUE. Technology is supposed to make our lives better not worse. Mulally has even stated once that he thought of Ford as a technology company now. Sales are good but the hits keep on coming from the media and owners. Where this will all lead to is unknown. Sometimes you need to just get back to basics with any company and do what you know how to do best.

There are plenty of blue oval kool aid drinkers on this site that think Ford can do no wrong just like there are GM kool aid drinkers ect. MFT is an absolute deal breaker for some people like me. This is why it needs to be a stand alone option be damned the bean counters. When something can get this messy its going to turn people on Ford like a pack of wolves. Those people may never return as a customer ever. We have seen that through the 70's and 80's with shoddy quality. So if you wonder who all of the idiots are every month that buy Corollas its probably those who have one that gave them good service for years before. Despite its shortcomings it a good basic car for point A to B.

If you like MFT buy it but dont force it down my throat.

• Like 2

I have used CUE and its overly complicated, over kill and a general pain in the ass. Its probably better than MFT but thats not saying much. I would not give you 30 cents for CUE. Technology is supposed to make our lives better not worse. Mulally has even stated once that he thought of Ford as a technology company now. Sales are good but the hits keep on coming from the media and owners. Where this will all lead to is unknown. Sometimes you need to just get back to basics with any company and do what you know how to do best.

There are plenty of blue oval kool aid drinkers on this site that think Ford can do no wrong just like there are GM kool aid drinkers ect. MFT is an absolute deal breaker for some people like me. This is why it needs to be a stand alone option be damned the bean counters. When something can get this messy its going to turn people on Ford like a pack of wolves. Those people may never return as a customer ever. We have seen that through the 70's and 80's with shoddy quality. So if you wonder who all of the idiots are every month that buy Corollas its probably those who have one that gave them good service for years before. Despite its shortcomings it a good basic car for point A to B.

If you like MFT buy it but dont force it down my throat.

:runaway::runaway::runaway: The infotainment systems absolutely ruin the cars! Oh noes! It's just like four decades ago, except... not! :runaway::runaway::runaway:

BTW, Toyota has Entune, and there are reviews of it being insanely glitchy in the new Avalon. And you will see the Entune system in "A-to-B" Corollas in the next generation, I'm almost 100% positive.

• Like 2

Phones used to be analog with wires and a dial. Now we have wireless smartphones.

Phones?

Pshhh.

In my day we went down to the telegraph office and the man sent our messages using good ol' Morse Code. And we waited until he was finished. And we said "thank you" because we appreciated having to wait.

• Like 3

Phones?

Pshhh.

In my day we went down to the telegraph office and the man sent our messages using good ol' Morse Code. And we waited until he was finished. And we said "thank you" because we appreciated having to wait.

Shoot, in my day, we had to send the letter with some guy riding a horse across the country! They called it 'express', but it took forever!

• Like 1

Horse?

Pfft. Back in MY day, you drew something on a rock and waited for someone else to walk by and see it.

Thats nothing...back in MY day....you waited for the large explosion and hoped someone from a neighboring galaxy just happened to be looking in their version of a telescope...

• Like 1

Thats nothing...back in MY day....you waited for the large explosion and hoped someone from a neighboring galaxy just happened to be looking in their version of a telescope...

They were looking, they just haven't seen it yet since they were 10 billion light years away. Dam, you're old! :)

yes I do...there should be no need for individuals to constantly need "refreshes"....YOU may retain, a majority do NOT...or cant be bothered...so in your mind the system is fine no?....welcome to the 1% Nick....it IS A) overly complex B) overkill C) demands a steep learning curve D) is NOT going away irrespective of commonly voiced complaints.....

You still haven't said what about the system itself is overly complex, overkill, or demands a steep learning curve. ALL of the commonly used functions are easily located on one of 4 screens, which are all accessible with ONE touch. How would YOU make it LESS complex? If people can't figure out how to get to any of the controls they need to use regularly, then hey, maybe they shouldn't have bought a car with MFT. They likely shouldn't own a cell phone, home theater system, or computer either but they probably do. Are you suggesting all of those products should be dumbed down for older consumers too?

This is why it needs to be a stand alone option be damned the bean counters.

The bean counters probably (correctly) determined that the number of lost buyers who hate MFT costs them less in lost profits than it would to design a completely different IP and center stack for top-trim vehicles with everything sans MFT.

Do you then also offer a separate nav system for buyers who want navigation and no MFT? :runaway:

Phones?

Pshhh.

yeah, but smoke signals were simpler...

You still haven't said what about the system itself is overly complex, overkill, or demands a steep learning curve. ALL of the commonly used functions are easily located on one of 4 screens, which are all accessible with ONE touch. How would YOU make it LESS complex? If people can't figure out how to get to any of the controls they need to use regularly, then hey, maybe they shouldn't have bought a car with MFT. They likely shouldn't own a cell phone, home theater system, or computer either but they probably do. Are you suggesting all of those products should be dumbed down for older consumers too?

Nick..LAST time...a system should NOT take 1 1/2- 2 or so hours to demonstrate to Fords satisfaction...if Im unclear about that I can send you a card in hand writing...DONT get me started on the 2 page delivery for an Energi....I can accept that this is the way things are going, and comparitively speaking I think MFT may be as simple as its going to get, my gripe.... is the complexity and all the "features" a "good" thing?...I CRINGE everytime I demo the system knowing full well I will have multiple messages the very next day...but APPARENTLY you dont think the system is "complex" and hard to grasp at all....GEEZ man...we apparently will never agree on this so its my last response...its going no-where...

Nick..LAST time...a system should NOT take 1 1/2- 2 or so hours to demonstrate to Fords satisfaction...if Im unclear about that I can send you a card in hand writing...DONT get me started on the 2 page delivery for an Energi....I can accept that this is the way things are going, and comparitively speaking I think MFT may be as simple as its going to get, my gripe.... is the complexity and all the "features" a "good" thing?...I CRINGE everytime I demo the system knowing full well I will have multiple messages the very next day...but APPARENTLY you dont think the system is "complex" and hard to grasp at all....GEEZ man...we apparently will never agree on this so its my last response...its going no-where...

If it takes that long to demonstrate all the features in a vehicle, then it takes that long to demonstrate all the features in a vehicle. If your customers think that is too complex, then you sold them the wrong vehicle.

That said, the delivery demo when I got my Edge took all of about 20 minutes and I wasn't left cursing at anything or scratching my head. And frankly, I'm the more typical buyer these days than the ones you seem to be complaining about.

Edited by NickF1011

If it takes that long to demonstrate all the features in a vehicle, then it takes that long to demonstrate all the features in a vehicle. If your customers think that is too complex, then you sold them the wrong vehicle.

That said, the delivery demo when I got my Edge took all of about 20 minutes and I wasn't left cursing at anything or scratching my head. And frankly, I'm the more typical buyer these days than the ones you seem to be complaining about.

incorrect...like I will say again, you are definitely more tech savy than most, thus i wouldnt grade you as a more "Typical buyer ".... sadly we REVOLVE around Fords expectations regarding CSI, so corners arent cut ( although I will fess, I DO now )....Ive also mentioned that as "extensive" as fords system is ...it PALES in comparison to Audis new system....So, its the way things are proceeding, doesnt mean I have to like it....

Nick..LAST time...a system should NOT take 1 1/2- 2 or so hours to demonstrate to Fords satisfaction...

Ford is a huge corporate organization. That means that any subject to which they devote their huge corporate resources is likely to have a huge corporate checklist of things to do and steps to take.

Demonstrating MFT to Ford's satisfaction is probably no different than the dozens of things they expect service managers to ensure happen on every service visit.

Bah to all of you.

In my day, you sent holographic messages via a droid in the hopes that it would reach it's intended recipient (usually a princess with hair done up to look like cinnamon buns).

Of course, that was a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

• Like 7

did they create a Syncmyride account for you and register your vehicle?, tell you how to get a vehicle health report? Explain what doors Sync services supplies? ...20 minutes right there, BEFORE getting to the car......Sirius Traffic link?....how much MORE did you discover after the actual delivery...my bet ...quite a bit.....sorry Nick, its a pretty steep learning curve....

Ford is a huge corporate organization. That means that any subject to which they devote their huge corporate resources is likely to have a huge corporate checklist of things to do and steps to take.

Demonstrating MFT to Ford's satisfaction is probably no different than the dozens of things they expect service managers to ensure happen on every service visit.

agreed, sad thing is, the cars and their features have become so mindbogglingly daunting to demonstrate that its quite a regular occureance to see even the dealer staff confused or UNABLE to answer legitimate questions....I will even raise my hand there, theres NO way I can retain all the intricacies of ANY vehicle in fords lineup anymore...and , sadly, I have NO interest anymore in attempting to memorise/ find out..I literally get headaches....its even worse if mentally I cant justify a certain features existance....$hit, maybe Im becoming an anti tech geezer....

• Like 1

incorrect...like I will say again, you are definitely more tech savy than most, thus i wouldnt grade you as a more "Typical buyer ".... sadly we REVOLVE around Fords expectations regarding CSI, so corners arent cut ( although I will fess, I DO now )....Ive also mentioned that as "extensive" as fords system is ...it PALES in comparison to Audis new system....So, its the way things are proceeding, doesnt mean I have to like it....

In terms of using MFT I'm about as tech savy as anyone who owns a smart phone and an iPod, which is pretty much every new car buyer under the age of 50. Having IT degrees doesn't make me any more keen than those people on the functionality of touch panels.