A Lincoln Wish List

Not much of a "wish list" in that article. Well written, but not much substance. All I read was pieces of old Lincoln catalog copy, and that some people want a Lincoln version of the Mustang. Does the author have no better veiw of what he wants than FoMoCo?

Here's my wishlist from Lincoln;

A new Rear Wheel Drive replacement for the Town Car, something with an IRS and some real power, maybe styled like the Continental concept from not too long ago.

A new Roadster and Coupe like the Mark X concept, based on the recently canceled T-Bird. But for christs sake, give it some balls! Why not borrow the Jaguar V-8 with it's supercharger??

Give the Zephyr and Aviator some real power, the new 3.5 DOHC V6 is promissing at 250 hp, but it's not leading the pack, it's safely near the back. Why does Ford shoot for mediocrity?? These models need closer to 300-325 hp.

And for the love of pete, don't give us any rebadged 500 clones. The 500 is a fine car, but it's not the right replacement for a Lincoln. The only Lincolns with AWD should be the Zephyr, Aviator and Navigator, all the others should be RWD with traction and stability control.

I disagree with the Lincoln Mustang also. If a clone of the Mustang should be built, it should be a Mercury Cougar with styling taken from the 1967 model.

http://www.myforddreams.blogspot.com

My two cents...

1. Lincoln has to quit being the dressed-up Ford and become the division that trickles its excellence down to Ford and Mercury.

2. I have no real problem with the Five Hundred platform launching Lincoln models, but the platform's potential must be exploited far more than in the lower cost variants. Power, handling, braking, styling, and interior appointments must all be closer to Audi than to Mercury.

3. I agree that the Town Car-all the Panther siblings, for that matter-have served long and well, and should get a new platform with the same time-tested qualities (rwd, V8, can survive ramming brick walls) that the customers have come to expect.

4. Make the Mark LT a real model (rather than an F-150 with styling and interior updates), or dump it. No side curtain air bags? No more power than the F-series? Come ON.

5. The Lincoln coupe is an interesting thought, but the Lincoln roadster concept from a few years back would be bolder and the kind of market shocker that could reap many different kinds of rewards.

6. Lincoln must claim its part of the market, which should be up to maybe $70K. Still downhill from the top German makers, but finally climbing to a level decisively above Mercury.

I look at the older Lincolns of the 70's and see this all American bad-ass image. They defiantly lost that somewhere along the way. The Euro lux cars are going for gadgets and wind tunnel styling. The Asians imitate the Euro with a bit more conservative approach. Lincoln should be all American badass. This approach worked well for Caddy whose image on commercials and tag line (Break Through) pitch the cars as bullies.

Lincoln can achieve the same result, not by imitating caddy, but be doing what American brands do best. Lincoln should have a lowered, hunkered wide look; something reminiscent of a hot rod, with a low up-front windshield and a taller rear end. This would be a good antidote to the tall current Caddies and the very boxy Chrysler 300.

How could they do this? Start by building up on the Mustang platform. A Mark IX would be nice, but why stop there? Stretch the platform 10" and add a sedan. While smaller, this would be a great medium sized car to fit between the Towncar and Zephyr.

I also say keep the Towncar, but dramatically change the styling. Make it reminiscent of the 70's Lincolns but lower, and with little wheel overhang on the ends. And for god sakes, add some power! That thing should have a 400hp option.

American Luxury was never a sophisticated ride. It was a comfortable ride and an intimidating image. This is where Lincoln should go. After all, how intimidating are the Audis and BMWs out there? Its time for a change.

How could they do this? Start by building up on the Mustang platform. A Mark IX would be nice, but why stop there? Stretch the platform 10" and add a sedan. While smaller, this would be a great medium sized car to fit between the Towncar and Zephyr.

Enough with the Mustang platform dreaming. D2C is a VERY limited platform in how it can be modified (stretched, widened, etc.) How many times does this need to be said?

Lincoln simply is not going to be seeing any new RWD-only architecture for a LONG time, as much as we all want it. The sustainability model just isn't there for it. There's no room in the Ford lineup for a RWD car and it would be too expensive to share a platform with Jaguar again. Let's face it: Lincoln's future is D3. We should embrace that model and see what we can do with that, because that's what we're going to GET.

Kill this orphan brand!

Jaguar is the new Lincoln

and so is Land Rover and Volvo

Lincoln is the Town Car and that means Granpa's land yacht

Other Lincoln products cannot refelect Land Yacht, its driving people into Lexus and Acura

Waterfall grill!?!? a beaudet (french toilet) is a waterfall grill!

quit beating this dead horse

And what to do wih the thousands of dealers? It's easy to kill things whan your posdting from your mom's basement. Nasser treid to kill Mercury and did nothing but bring down the entire dealership body... Without dealers you don't sell squat. Wihtout a happy dealership body you look as bad as the dealers are pissed off.

• 3 weeks later...
Kill this orphan brand!

Jaguar is the new Lincoln

and so is Land Rover and Volvo

Lincoln is the Town Car and that means Granpa's land yacht

Other Lincoln products cannot refelect Land Yacht, its driving people into Lexus and Acura

Waterfall grill!?!? a beaudet (french toilet) is a waterfall grill!

quit beating this dead horse

Oh good grief. Owned by Ford or not- be a cold day in hell before I own a Jaguar or a Land Rover. Volvo i might- and have in the past. Kinda gotten over my import years though- age will do that to you.

• 3 years later...
Thought I would reach waaaaaay back and drag up an old blog thread...amazing how as much as things have changed....they really haven't changed much at all.....

And I think that Lincoln is just doing fine with its coming product catalog. The only thing that I'd add to a "wish list" is a hybrid MKZ.

Everytime I see one of these headings I just roll my eyes and think "Oh great, paragraph after paragraph of...I want I want I want" from people, but I'm seeing very short lines... I think we all I have a vehicle or 2 we would like to see, but at least whats out there, seems to fit the bill for many and thats what counts. Lincoln wont be reinvented overnight, but the slight steady improvements helps. Lincoln has accomplished many positive comments and reviews in relation to technology and interior fitment. I believe performance should be their next focus.

I just ask for a RWD sedan and coupe, not asking for much ;)

...I just ask for a RWD sedan and coupe, not asking for much ;)
see below

RWD MkR =HRL (LincStang/coupe)

RWD MkS = Continental

RWD small car based on MX-5 Platform NO just NO

RWD 5+2 crossover (inbetween MkX and MkT) = Territory perhaps

3.0 Hybrid for MkZ...3.5 Hybrid for the bigger ones. = OK

Edited by 2b2

I look at the older Lincolns of the 70's and see this all American bad-ass image. They defiantly lost that somewhere along the way. The Euro lux cars are going for gadgets and wind tunnel styling. The Asians imitate the Euro with a bit more conservative approach. Lincoln should be all American badass. This approach worked well for Caddy whose image on commercials and tag line (Break Through) pitch the cars as bullies.

Lincoln can achieve the same result, not by imitating caddy, but be doing what American brands do best. Lincoln should have a lowered, hunkered wide look; something reminiscent of a hot rod, with a low up-front windshield and a taller rear end. This would be a good antidote to the tall current Caddies and the very boxy Chrysler 300.

I also say keep the Towncar, but dramatically change the styling. Make it reminiscent of the 70's Lincolns but lower, and with little wheel overhang on the ends. And for god sakes, add some power! That thing should have a 400hp option.

American Luxury was never a sophisticated ride. It was a comfortable ride and an intimidating image. This is where Lincoln should go. After all, how intimidating are the Audis and BMWs out there? Its time for a change.

Right on... The designers need to look back at the lines of the 70's Continentals to develop a similar design for this day and age. I'm so sick and tired of the flat details in all of these cars fenders, quarterpanels, sheetmetal, etc. It makes me sick.

Right on... The designers need to look back at the lines of the 70's Continentals to develop a similar design for this day and age. I'm so sick and tired of the flat details in all of these cars fenders, quarterpanels, sheetmetal, etc. It makes me sick.

So you hated the 2002-2003 Lincoln concepts then? (most notably the Continental?)

Like the sig picture, by the way.

So you hated the 2002-2003 Lincoln concepts then? (most notably the Continental?)

I really liked the Continental concept. I have it on my screen saver. Ofcourse I really love the old 60's Contonental.

They do have alot of character. I thought the LS was a good start, but was poorly handled.

Lincoln will have to get the marketing to make it popular again. I think they are slowly starting in the right direction. The MKS is beautiful, but its just lacking something.

Also, I think that when they went into that retro look of the Navigator and the MKZ interior that it looked cheap. I always hated the Zypher/MKZ dash. It reminded me of a Versallis.

With the right marketing, I think they could start selling some stuff. Its hard to sell something if your customers don't know you have it.

I think maybe update the TC for limo use. I think the TC is still one of the better looking limos compared to a fugly deville. The DTS is not a bad car when a sedan, but as a limo that thing is YUCK.

Actually I liked that one. But we need to lose these oversized rims on these new cars. The bigger the rim, the more money it costs. Simple math Same thing with these weird tire sizes that go with them. Just go back to 15" rims, as well as 215,225,235/75R15 sizes on tires and I'll be just fine.

Hear is an idea,

Make Lincoln a Global brand. All Lincoln-Mercury cars that would only sell in the US would be sold as a Mercury.

Gran Marquis is to big to sell in Europe so keep it as a Mercury. A luxury C-Max could sell in Europe, make it a Lincoln. Next gen MKZ sells Globally as a Lincoln and the cheaper Mercury Milan sells only in the US as a Mercury.

I am not sure what to do about trucks. Maybe Ford trucks will sell in Europe as a very low volume luxury Lincoln? Does Hummer sell a few vehicles in Europe?

Hear is an idea,

Make Lincoln a Global brand. All Lincoln-Mercury cars that would only sell in the US would be sold as a Mercury.

Gran Marquis is to big to sell in Europe so keep it as a Mercury. A luxury C-Max could sell in Europe, make it a Lincoln. Next gen MKZ sells Globally as a Lincoln and the cheaper Mercury Milan sells only in the US as a Mercury.

I am not sure what to do about trucks. Maybe Ford trucks will sell in Europe as a very low volume luxury Lincoln? Does Hummer sell a few vehicles in Europe?

The Grand Marquis is dead anyway...