Front Drive Designs Almost Became the Mustang

I was part of a letter-writing campaign against the rumored fwd Mustang back then. The idea of a Mazda-based fwd Mustang was really vile to a great many people.

I will say this, though: the second-gen Probe GT was a very fun car to drive. Not Mustang fun, but fun. Also a pretty little coupe in my opinion.

• Like 4

I did enjoy driving a friends 2nd generation Probe, it was a very good package overall and for a FWD it handled pretty well. I do not think they were the most reliable things out there though, they didn't age well. That same friend bought a 2000 Cougar of how well he enjoyed it.

I see those Probes around for small money, and I admit some temptation...but I had heard about some reliability issues as well, and I know having a 2-door anything while my teenage son is driving will make my insurance terrifying.

As is typical of Ford's of that era, the transmission was the weak point. They were known for going out.

And the reason Autoblog is dragging this up?

That's what you do when there's absolutely nothing to report....

It's part of Ford's media blitz ahead of Mustang reveal. They've been at it since the beginning of 2013. Remember those threads here about Mustang II? Part of the same series. You can go back and read all of them at media.ford.com

I now have a 1991 Ford Probe LX 3.0 5-spd with 160,000 miles on it and I am surprised what an awesome well built reliable car it is. It's zippy and handles extremely well. Because the car was built by Mazda it was well constructed.

Or are completely rusted to death.

I see those Probes around for small money, and I admit some temptation...but I had heard about some reliability issues as well, and I know having a 2-door anything while my teenage son is driving will make my insurance terrifying.

1st gens had turbo issues with about 100/120K on the engine. 2ed gens were the distributors and plug wires with the V6 (Spark plugs are a PITA to change) The bad thing with them was typical Ford Decontenting in the 90's. The First Year (89, 93) had the most features/options then as the years went by things like the EQ, and glovebox lights got removed.

Cougar like all CDW127 were horrid in reliability. (Mondeo, Contour, Mystique, Cougar, X-type)

1st gens had turbo issues with about 100/120K on the engine. 2ed gens were the distributors and plug wires with the V6 (Spark plugs are a PITA to change) The bad thing with them was typical Ford Decontenting in the 90's. The First Year (89, 93) had the most features/options then as the years went by things like the EQ, and glovebox lights got removed.

Hard to tell which went first: the sales or the content. Probe was trailing Mustang considerably in sales its final few years.

I don't believe that all of those were meant to be a front-wheel-drive Mustang. Some of them look like the competing proposals for what became the 1994 Mustang.

May be the Schwarzenegger and Stallone concepts that have been mentioned over the years when the SN95 design was being finalized.

May be the Schwarzenegger and Stallone concepts that have been mentioned over the years when the SN95 design was being finalized.

I remember that I bought a car magazine special "30 years of Mustang" issue back in 1994. If I remember correctly it was from Mustang & Fords. It featured an article on the development of the then new SN95 and the "Bruce Jenner", "Arnold Schwarzenegger" and "Rambo" concepts were shown. I hadn't seen those photos ever since.

I remember that I bought a car magazine special "30 years of Mustang" issue back in 1994. If I remember correctly it was from Mustang & Fords. It featured an article on the development of the then new SN95 and the "Bruce Jenner", "Arnold Schwarzenegger" and "Rambo" concepts were shown. I hadn't seen those photos ever since.

Whew. I'm glad they didn't go with the "Bruce Jenner"!! He didn't turn out too well. :hysterical: