OFFICIAL: 2015 Lincoln MKC EcoBoost 2.3

Just looked at this on the site. Really nice ! Anyone know or know of a place to see the tow limit ? Kind of looking at something like this but with the ability to maybe tow say a small boat. I know vehicles like the Mazda CX5 can pull about 3 K - thanks

Probably the same as the escape.

There looks to be a few new colors:

Silver Sand Metallic

Tahitian Pearl Metallic (Purple)

Karat Gold Metallic

Midnight Sapphire Metallic (Darker blue)

That Tahitian Pearl Metallic is my favorite. I'm a 21 year old male and I'd buy an MKC in purple, I'll admit it. Best color on the car, though I predict it'll be gone after 2015 just like the Escape's best color (frosted glass) was.

Make mine Midnight Sapphire Metallic and I am IN!!! I want one of these so badly I can taste it....Hope the "Black Label" customization process will let me look at two tone options!! I always loved the two tone "Bill Blass" editions of Lincolns of days gone by...My 1976 Montego is a deep blue metallic too with a white vinyl half roof...I don't want a vinyl top mind you, but a nice tasteful painted pinstripe along the body and a cream color interior with dark blue stitching and Lincoln logos on the headrests....

I WANT IT...I WANT IT....I WANT IT.....you will be mine MKC

I have a question, after reading bits from all the MKC stories:

if this 2.3 EB motor is supposedly going to be Lincoln-specific, what does that mean for the very-rumored Mustang version, and wouldn't this engine be a logical upgrade for other Ford vehicles in which the 2.0 isn't specifically impressing?

It's a double-edged deal, here, because while Lincoln needs more differentiation...the Fusion and Escape could certainly use it. Plus, it's maybe the longest-rumored engine for the forthcoming Mustang.

I'd say that as much as Lincoln needs differentiation, it's better served higher up the food chain...say, a special EB V6 for the MKS and Navi.

• Like 1

if this 2.3 EB motor is supposedly going to be Lincoln-specific, what does that mean for the very-rumored Mustang version, and wouldn't this engine be a logical upgrade for other Ford vehicles in which the 2.0 isn't specifically impressing?

It's a double-edged deal, here, because while Lincoln needs more differentiation...the Fusion and Escape could certainly use it. Plus, it's maybe the longest-rumored engine for the forthcoming Mustang.

I'd say that as much as Lincoln needs differentiation, it's better served higher up the food chain...say, a special EB V6 for the MKS and Navi.

Lincoln specific was in the context of similar Ford vehicles (MKC vs Escape, MKZ vs. Fusion, Navigator vs Expedition, etc.). Fords would get the 2.0L eB while Lincoln gets the 2.3L.

Since Mustang is a performance vehicle and doesn't compete directly with other Lincoln vehicles it makes sense to give it the new engine. Same for F150.

I also expect there to be a 2.7L EB option for MKC and the 2.3L becomes the base engine. And a hybrid option. But none of that is confirmed.

Zan...by rolling the engine out in a Lincoln first, then the claim for lesser cars (i.e. Fords) can be, "It has a Lincoln motor in it."

i was pretty much set on going down the road of buying my wife an RX350 or 450H early 2014.

Maybe we'll wait & drive the 2014 MKC before pulling the trigger on a Lexus.

I hope it shows up "in the flesh" sooner than my MKZ did...

The RX and the MKC are two pretty different size vehicles. If the RX is the size you are looking for, you might want to hold out just a bit longer for the next gen MKX.

Christ people, do you really think that the MKC needs a 2.7L engine in it? You're basically going to make it a Focus RS on stilts! The 2L EB in the Escape has ALOT of power to it...I was pretty impressed by it being able to snap the front wheels loose using it.

I have a feeling that 2.3L is going to have alot of Torque mitigation in it like the SHO does and its not going to "feel" as fast as the 2L EB engine. Just ask anyone that has a tune on their SHO about much of a difference it makes with shift points and basically puts more "edge" on the car so it feels like your going fast...

Another thing also, is 2.3EB only going to be in AWD variants due to the Torque?

• Like 1

Christ people, do you really think that the MKC needs a 2.7L engine in it? You're basically going to make it a Focus RS on stilts! The 2L EB in the Escape has ALOT of power to it...I was pretty impressed by it being able to snap the front wheels loose using it.

I have a feeling that 2.3L is going to have alot of Torque mitigation in it like the SHO does and its not going to "feel" as fast as the 2L EB engine. Just ask anyone that has a tune on their SHO about much of a difference it makes with shift points and basically puts more "edge" on the car so it feels like your going fast...

Another thing also, is 2.3EB only going to be in AWD variants due to the Torque?

I am thinking a 2.0L Ecoboost FWD variant will be what I get....I don't "need" AWD...the added expense and weight penalty plus the MPG hit you take is a big negative for me...I have done quite well with my 2012 Fusion 2.5L SEL with snows on dedicated rims all the way around....have General Alti-MAX Artic snows now...may move to Blizzaks with the MKC....no real complaints about the Generals...just want to try the Blizzaks next time around.

I am thinking a 2.0L Ecoboost FWD variant will be what I get....I don't "need" AWD...the added expense and weight penalty plus the MPG hit you take is a big negative for me...I have done quite well with my 2012 Fusion 2.5L SEL with snows on dedicated rims all the way around....have General Alti-MAX Artic snows now...may move to Blizzaks with the MKC....no real complaints about the Generals...just want to try the Blizzaks next time around.

On TireRack, the new Michelin Xi3's are highly rated. I'm trying to find some rims for my Mercury Montego and buy a set of those tires for my winter driving.

• Like 1

Well if you have decent tires and good ground clearance, you'll do fine in the snow. Not sure what part of the country your in, but seriously if your out in a couple of feet of snow before its plowed...I'd say home if I was you!

I think it really depends on where you live and where you plan to take it. If you live in a relatively flat area and don't plan on regularly going into mountains, then FWD with snows is more than enough to avoid getting stuck. I love winter performance tires (Michelin PA4) for stopping distance and controllability while on throttle, but I probably drive a little more aggresive than most.

I don't think Ford AWD will hurt your MPG too much, the haldex like AWD controller won't route power to rear wheels unless it's needed, so you don't pay for added drivetrain loss, like you would with Subaru S-AWD or Audi quattro (torsen type). The weight penality is there, but it's probably marginal, maybe 80 lbs extra?

I agree, a 2.3 engine with 270lb ft peak and 300 hp (must hold torque decently to redline) is more than enough. This engine should be awesome in the S550 mustang, since you will actually rev it out to redline, unlike a CUV. Only other powertrain that might make sense on a small SUV like this would be some kind of diesel engine with gobs of torque. But a 2.7L ecoboost (assuming V6TT?) would be overkill for the MKC. Only something silly enough for the German's to do, like the Audi SQ5, Porsche Cayanne Turbo or BMW X6M.

Would you mind expanding on the torque mitigation problems in the SHO? I've never heard of something like this. Are you talking about throttle maps, shift points or early traction control nannys? The tune makes the car feel more raw by allowing a higher redline? To my knowledge, usually tunes on FI engines seem to change boost control in the high RPMS by preventing the ECU from opening the waste gate on a turbo or bypass valve on superchargers.

Would you mind expanding on the torque mitigation problems in the SHO? I've never heard of something like this. Are you talking about throttle maps, shift points or early traction control nannys? The tune makes the car feel more raw by allowing a higher redline? To my knowledge, usually tunes on FI engines seem to change boost control in the high RPMS by preventing the ECU from opening the waste gate on a turbo or bypass valve on superchargers.

All of the Transverse 3.5LEB vehicles limit the torque to prevent damage. That's why the torque curve is so flat.

I keep reading about the new steering wheel debuting in the MKC that will eventually be available in all Lincolns. It looks the same as the MKZ's steering wheel. Is it a different diameter? Thicker in cross section? Different leather?

I was wondering the same thing. It looks very, very similar, but looking back to back with MKZ photos, I'm guessing it's smaller diameter and has a thicker rim, as is current fashion generally.

I'm somewhat disappointed they still went with the generic Ford turn/wiper stalks you'll find on a Fiesta or Focus (especially considering the concept had slick bespoke pieces), and still haven't changed the MLT graphics from the Ford counterpart.

That said, I'm super impressed by everything else. I think it was the NY Times article on it that said that the MKC actually makes the MKZ "look better" since it contextualizes and reinforces the Lincoln design language, and I agree. I'm doing a 2 year lease on my MKZ Hybrid order that should be done in a few weeks, so by the time I'm ready to turn that in around late '15, I'll potentially look to move to what will be a year 2 production of the MKC (maybe hybrid by then?). Niiice....

Wolff's excellent detail work with this model and the Lincoln design themes makes me excited to eventually see an MKS concept...

Here is my 20 second analysis

For the money they spent, the exterior still looks a lot like an Escape from the side. Front and rear are definitely Lincoln.

Making a wider stance and all the additional expense of redesigning the suspension, will likely have ZERO IMPACT on sales. It was just money spent to make the MKC more unique, but it was spent in an area that no one will notice. And does your Grandma really want to roll on super-low profile 20s ?

The 6F35 transmission is the weak link. It is a good thing that few Lincoln owners ever really "get on it" because I'm sure the engine torque is limited during shifts.

I wish Ford had invested in an upgraded AWD unit, possibly something full time. Also, upgraded the front and rear differentials, or at least offer these 3 upgrades in a package.

• Like 1

I wish Ford had invested in an upgraded AWD unit, possibly something full time. Also, upgraded the front and rear differentials, or at least offer these 3 upgrades in a package.

I'm kinda surprised that no companies but Honda/Acura and Mitsubishi currently implement a full-time transverse AWD system. (to my knowledge)

Edited by papilgee4evaeva