Official 2015 Mustang Info!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/12/04/ford-mustang-2015-styling-chassis-engines/3820457/

The 2015 Mustang's underpinnings amount to an "all-new" platform, says Raj Nair, Ford's vice president in charge of global product development.

The original idea was to evolve the current chassis. But once Ford decided that the new car would have independent rear suspension (IRS) — a first for mainstream Mustang models. "We started having some trouble with the steering and proportion of the vehicle," Nair says. "We decided fairly late in development to widen the vehicle."

IRS improves handling, ride and steering precision, but is more costly and complicated than the solid rear axle that Mustangs have had since 1964.

The engine selection also didn't work out as planned. The intent was an EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder as the base engine and the V-8 as the up-level engine. But a less expensive V-6 was added to be the base, says chief engineer Dave Pericak. "We added the V-6 later in development, as a value item; Mustang's always had a value element," says Pericak.

Thus, the engine lineup will be:

Base: 3.7-liter V-6, about 300 horsepower.

Optional: 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder. Ford says it'll have at least 305 hp and significantly more torque than the V-6.

Top-end: 5-liter V-8, rated "more than 420 hp," he says.

Less dramatic, but likely endearing, new features you might overlook:

• Front roof pillars are realigned, and nearly 1.3 inch thinner. Combined with a new location for the outside mirror, the 2015 has better front visibility.

• Passenger's airbag is in the glove box door, smoothing the look of the dashboard by eliminating the seam for a separate panel. Ford assumes — this remains to be verified in real life — that people won't drive around with the glove box open, which would interfere with bag operation.

• Tires, which now sit flush with the outside edge of the sheetmetal, have "rub" ribs to minimize the chance you'll get curb rash on the expensive alloy wheels most models will have.

• The middle roof pillar is hidden behind the door glass to avoid interrupting the silhouette.

• The convertible, coming at nearly the same time as the coupe, will have the fastest top in the business — up or down in seven seconds. And it'll operate up to 5 mph.

• Front seats — none too soon, some might argue — have "memory recline," so they return to your preferred setting after tipping them forward to let passengers into or out of the back seat.

• New colors to address owner requests, including Triple Yellow (literally painted three times, instead of one or two, to eliminate the "dirty" look of gray primer that yellow has trouble hiding).

"There's actually a Yellow Mustang Club, and boy, do we hear from them when we don't offer a yellow," says Susan Lampinen, the chief designer in charge of color, among other things, for all Ford and Lincoln models.

Really precise. 'More than 420 HP'... :rant2:

• Front seats — none too soon, some might argue — have "memory recline," so they return to your preferred setting after tipping them forward to let passengers into or out of the back seat

My '92 have that feature... Always thought it was stupid that my dad's '11 didn't.

Edited by 92LX302

I'm betting the actual HP spec hasn't been finalized as of yet, they probably don't want to show their cards too soon. Keep the competition in the dark as long as possible. One would hope with the design changes they've made which seem extensive it'll be at least 450hp.

I'm betting on 5 hp more than whatever the Camaro has at the time.

I cant believe I am saying it but 420 hp is plenty in this car. I must be getting old. This is the most exciting Ford I have seen in the last 7-8 years. I just hope the launch goes well!!!

My guess is they'll tune the torque curve to yield just enough hp to beat camaro for bragging rights. 420 is way more than enough power.

• Like 1

My guess is they'll tune the torque curve to yield just enough hp to beat camaro for bragging rights. 420 is way more than enough power.

Yep, just enough to be ahead of the Camaro. 420 is more than plenty, especially since it's losing 200 lbs. Can't wait to see how this thing handles compared to the current model (and, of course, the Camaro and Challenger, that it should blow away on the handling course).

• Like 1

The rear "hips" on the convertible (I can't see them as clearly on the gray car pictured above as on the red one in the video in the original post) look amazing. Tight. Clean. Great design language. The wheels flush with the sheet metal. Great integration of the tri-bars. Could it be that the Mustang's best feature is from the C-pillar back? Dat a$$!

Will the 3.7L be "detuned" to ~300HP in-order to make the 2.3L more appealing?

Doubt it. It did say "about 300", so it could be 305, could be 310 even. People shopping for them will know the differences between the two when looking at the torque. Just hope it's not too much of a price hit to upgrade for a modest gain.

Will the 3.7L be "detuned" to ~300HP in-order to make the 2.3L more appealing?

No, 3.7 will gain some power but will probably still get left in the dust by the 2.3. The torque on the 2.3 will come on early and stay through out the rpm range.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/#continued

Ford assures us that both the V6 and V8 engines will be more powerful than their counterparts in the 2014 model. But the automaker also provided projections for each, showing figures identical to the current outputs, so it's a fair guess that horsepower and torque figures for the six and eight won't jump by much. The 2.3, meanwhile, is estimated to put out 305 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 300 pound-feet of torque between 2,500 and 4,500 rpm (Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T owners, take note). We'd take these numbers with a suitably large grain of salt, as they are subject to change as certification carries on. What we do know for sure is that the EcoBoost Mustang will slot above the V6 model, just like the EcoBoost engine on the Ford F-150.

Just for reference, the 2014 stats:

3.7 V6: 305 hp @ 6,500 rpm / 280 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm

5.0 V8: 420 hp @ 6,500 rpm / 390 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm

vs.

Estimated 2.3 I4: 305 hp @ 5,500 rpm / 300 lb-ft 2,500-4,500 rpm

I'm sure the final tune will see a few horsepower bump.

Edited by bzcat

It would seem to me that a Performace Pack 2.3 will be the affordable performance Mustang with crossover appeal to the tuner/import crowd, were as the 3.7 will be relegated to fleet sales, and entry level buyers. The Performance Pack will be the chassis basis for the GT 5.0 model.

I have not been this pumped about a new Mustang design since the '87 GT/LX 5.0 HO. In both cases mainly because of the interior (ok and the rake of the rear glass on the '15), were as inside the current model is as long in the tooth as a CV or Ranger (even when it first appeared in '05).

Edited by Project-Fairmont
  • Like 1

Just saw a video on Fox News with the chief engineer on the project and he is mentioning that they have one more surprise coming on the vehicle....wonder what that could be?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2897489942001/secrets-of-the-2015-ford-mustang/?intcmp=HPBucket&playlist_id=931078438001

I think the vehicle looks great and could be the answer to my mid life crisis! Think the details are excellent and it shows all around. What I found odd was they are showing the convertible with that stupid antenna in the back along with the pod on the trunk-any insight on that?

• Like 1