Diesel F-150 rumor/confirm?

Didn't Ford originally only predict 30% for the 35 EB in the F150? Ends up being in the 65% area IIRC.

My point being, that Ram 30% number is a guess at best.

Point well taken. It's also dependent on how desperate with incentives GM goes this year (since Ram will probably not want to go as incentive heavy on the diesels), and how well the new F150 launch does of course. Would be interesting to know how many cross-shop the Nissan Cummins model too. (That one still has an American built chassis too I think, so I suppose in some ways it's perhaps "more domestic" than the Ram, in the fwiw category).

A lot of guesstimates are involved, imho (Note to Richard: I am not asserting Ram will definitely sell 30% diesels this year.)

Didn't Ford originally only predict 30% for the 35 EB in the F150? Ends up being in the 65% area IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it's closer to 45%; IIRC, its take-rate is about the same as the 5.0, and they accounted for ~90% of the F150's mills. It's quite a bit better than projected, but not double.

Copy/paste on mobile:

GM has announced that starting in the 2016 model year, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-size pickups will offer the 2nd generation Duramax four cylinder diesel in a 2.8 liter turbocharged version and the company is considering offering a diesel option on the the regular duty versions of the Silverado and Sierra. It’s not clear if either of those engines will be assembled in Moraine. A 2.5 liter version of GMs new diesel is currently assembled in Thailand.

Copy/paste on mobile:

GM has announced that starting in the 2016 model year, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-size pickups will offer the 2nd generation Duramax four cylinder diesel in a 2.8 liter turbocharged version and the company is considering offering a diesel option on the the regular duty versions of the Silverado and Sierra. It’s not clear if either of those engines will be assembled in Moraine. A 2.5 liter version of GMs new diesel is currently assembled in Thailand.

Ford better get into the game, or get left behind. Too many want a diesel not to offer one.

Ford better get into the game, or get left behind. Too many want a diesel not to offer one.

Or maybe the competition should get into the game with direct injection turbo gasoline engines because they have clearly been left behind by Ford in that area.

If they need a small diesel the 3.2L is ready to go.

Wanting one and buying one are not one in the same.

For instance. I want another diesel truck when it is time to replace my Super Duty. However, when the time comes, I will probably buy a gasser because diesel doesn't make financial sense for me any more with the diesel fuel premium and smaller fuel economy difference.

From where I sit, Ford IS in the game, big time. There are many options for powerplants, and many ways to meet CAFE. Diesel is just one. Lets wait and see how the Ram diesel half ton sells. Sure, the die hard diesel fans will love it, but it is a mass market out there, and Ford is aiming for that, not the niche.

When it comes to pick ups, Ford IS the game. I'm sure Ford is watching very closely.

Bear in mind that Dodge offered the 5.9 turbo Cummins starting in 1989. Ford did not up the 6.9/7.3 to turbo until around 1996. When the 1997 SuperDuty came to market it began it's domination. It's the whole truck that matters, not just the engine.

Wish I had a $1 for everytime I heard: "It's a great engine; unfortunately it comes wrapped in a Dodge truck"

I think diesel in F-150 is going to happen... one day. Sure.

But the theme of this thread seems to be Ford is going to be "left behind" if they don't get in the diesel game right now! - nevermind that all these diesels are a response to Ford's dominance due to its first mover advantage with Ecoboost powertrain. Everyone else is doing diesel because they don't want to take Ford head on with a direct injection twin turbo gasoline V6.

I'm of the opinion that diesel light duty pickup will play a role for post 2017 CAFE but it will remain a small slice of the market due to higher operating costs. Ford will have an EPA and CARB compliant diesel for sale in the F-150 by 2017 model year but the likely scenario is that F-150 Ecoboost will continue to be the 800 lb gorilla that everyone is trying to avoid competing head on.

Chester, that needs to be edited....Too many want a diesel, but DONT want to pay for it but constantly bleat......for sure it will be interesting to see the take rate, and I would lay money on ford and GM watching those numbers like a hawk. Me, I really dont think it will account for too much, but having the option is a plus regardless....

I'm looking at Ford increasing SD production by another 55,000 this year with Ford saying it's due to increased demand.

If most of them are F250s, then that's a healthy portion of diesels being sold and I can understand Ford making

buyers choose between efficient Ecoboosts in F150 and an $8,000 diesel premium in F250.

No doubt, Ford has done its home work on diesels by benchmarking its new EB 27 against its available diesels like

the 3.2 I-5 and the J/LR 2.7/3.0 V6 diesels I Iagree with the notion that Ford is watching closely and letting other

truck makers like Ram test the water while it offers alternatives like the EB 27 and offering buyers the F250 diesel.

A diesel half ton would probably sell between 2,000 and 4,000/mth tops, you can bet that Ford wants EB 27 sales

to be far in excess of that, I recon its looking at a three way split between 5.0 V8, EB 3.5 amd EB 2.7 that ultimately

results in the EB 27 growing the F150 truck market by another 8,000 to 10,000 a month.

The above plan would still allow Ford to add a diesel if needed at a later date, talk about covering bases...

Edited by jpd80

My olny comment since I'm hard core pro-diesel is, (and I've said it before) if ford builds a 4 door one ton (or half ton now that the rating are so high) with a 8ft box and a small diesel, I'll buy it. My N/A 7.3 is only 175hp and 320lb's of torque and it's plenty. A smaller diesel with better milage but has 2-300hp and 3-400lb's would be awesome.

Been gone for a while so I should mention the wife just picked up a loaded 2013 edge in November. Love it so far..well that's not true..it's done everything it's supposed to, but it's new so I don't have a "relationship" with it yet. Heck I just changed the oil for the first time last weekend! LOL Turn key and go and has all the bells and whistles..meh, it's the wifes so I don't even drive it, I guess I'm more of a "old vehicle with charecter" kind of guy.

I'd buy a new little diesel though...and run veggie oil through it! hehehe.

• Like 1

I think diesel in F-150 is going to happen... one day. Sure.

But the theme of this thread seems to be Ford is going to be "left behind" if they don't get in the diesel game right now! - nevermind that all these diesels are a response to Ford's dominance due to its first mover advantage with Ecoboost powertrain. Everyone else is doing diesel because they don't want to take Ford head on with a direct injection twin turbo gasoline V6.

I'm of the opinion that diesel light duty pickup will play a role for post 2017 CAFE but it will remain a small slice of the market due to higher operating costs. Ford will have an EPA and CARB compliant diesel for sale in the F-150 by 2017 model year but the likely scenario is that F-150 Ecoboost will continue to be the 800 lb gorilla that everyone is trying to avoid competing head on.

Ford did say at the launch of the new F-150 that it will be CAFE positive for the first time. Also according to a tweet by Mike Levin Ford will have a RWD hybrid system ready later in the decade.

Ford did say at the launch of the new F-150 that it will be CAFE positive for the first time. Also according to a tweet by Mike Levin Ford will have a RWD hybrid system ready later in the decade.

in which case could make Diesel redundant....I have wondered what was going to become of the Hybrid truck idea once Ford left Toyotas table...

in which case could make Diesel redundant....I have wondered what was going to become of the Hybrid truck idea once Ford left Toyotas table...

CAFE positive means that Ford can play a more expansive game with F150 without fear of building the wrong versions

and falling foul of tightening CAFE regulations, can GM and Ram claim the same comfort zone with their half ton trucks?

The redesign makes the new F-150 "CAFE-positive" for the first time, meaning the truck will help Ford meet those standards instead of lowering the average gasoline mileage of its lineup, Chief Operating Officer Mark Fields said....LINK

It also clarifies what is driving the increased fuel economy...CAFE, not a strong push from half ton buyers for increased fuel economy...

Edited by jpd80

^^this.

Did we all forget about that part? An effective hybrid powerplant for the F-series could make the whole diesel argument for CAFE purposes completely irrelevant.