Edmunds on the 2016 Taurus

The rumor is that the next gen Taurus is only fractionally heavier than the current Fusion.

A good comparison can be drawn between the older CD3 Fusion, the early Mazda 6 and the latest larger version of it.

Three vehicles all with very similar weights, depending engines chosen and trim level.....

Whatever they do I hope they a.) make the interior width wider, b.) rear seat legroom better, c.) drop the freaking faux-stickshift shifter and go to column mounted shifter, d.) because of c., get 2 usable cup holders up front. Other than the space and usability constraints, our '12 Taurus was a nice ride!

Edited by chucky2

Whatever they do I hope they a.) make the interior width wider, b.) rear seat legroom better, c.) drop the freaking faux-stickshift shifter and go to column mounted shifter, d.) because of c., get 2 usable cup holders up front. Other than the space and usability constraints, our '12 Taurus was a nice ride!

What do you want a Town Car L with rear leg room? I have no problem fitting into the back seat of a D3 platform car at 6'2. The cup holders are fine on my 2013 SHO, but then again I don't drink 64 oz Super Glups either.

The biggest issue is the foot wells in the damn car...they have no room for your feet and if you have the seat all the way back, what I'm guessing is a floor pan stiffner doesn't allow me to keep my feet near the seat conformably when i'm using the cruse control on the car.

The car doesn't need to be any wider, they need to narrow the center column a little bit, but I also don't mind the cockpit feel of the car either.

• Like 1

No way they go back to a column shifter on the consumer model. I can however see them moving to a push button / rotary gear selector to save room.

• Like 1

There is no way they're going back to a column shifter. Get over it.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

If not column then pushbutton or dash mounted rotary dial. Anything is better than the fake 'I'm sporty because I've got this fake stickshift wannabe gear selector here needlessly taking up room'.

What do you want a Town Car L with rear leg room? I have no problem fitting into the back seat of a D3 platform car at 6'2. The cup holders are fine on my 2013 SHO, but then again I don't drink 64 oz Super Glups either.

The biggest issue is the foot wells in the damn car...they have no room for your feet and if you have the seat all the way back, what I'm guessing is a floor pan stiffner doesn't allow me to keep my feet near the seat conformably when i'm using the cruse control on the car.

The car doesn't need to be any wider, they need to narrow the center column a little bit, but I also don't mind the cockpit feel of the car either.

When you put someone in the front seat and move it backwards enough to not have their knees and feet be cramped, the person in the back suffers. I've made many many many trips to the hospital, and hour and a half away, with my dad in the front passenger seat, halfway forward with his 5'10" frame almost up against the dash, so my 5'8" mom behind him could have some semblance of rear legroom. If you have no problem fitting in the back at 6'2" you either have an exceptionally long torso or whoever was in the front seat (if anyone) was a small kid or pretty damned uncomfortable.

As for wider, for us larger Americans, the car really isn't that wide. For normal sized women up front, one big one small, it's fine. For two full sized men up front, the center column needs to be an inch or two wider, not narrower. Men don't like having their arms and elbows touching the guy next to him. From your comments it sounds like you like the cockpit concept. That's fine, it's all personal opinion. I myself do not. Paying $40k for a faux fighter concept interior of a Taurus isn't what I view the Taurus as being. At least the Thunderbird sloped the real transmission tunnel so your right leg rested on a properly planed piece of plastic. In the Taurus, you get the pleasure of knee just resting on a set point, needlessly for your money, as the Taurus isn't RWD and as such doesn't need a trans tunnel cockpit. To each their own.

No way they go back to a column shifter on the consumer model. I can however see them moving to a push button / rotary gear selector to save room.

That would be acceptable. What they have now as a usability car for more than one person, heck, for even one person actually spending any real time in the ride, is less than ideal.

Edited by chucky2

If you have no problem fitting in the back at 6'2" you either have an exceptionally long torso or whoever was in the front seat (if anyone) was a small kid or pretty damned uncomfortable.

In my parents 2008 Sable I was able to sit in the back seat and even cross my legs with my 5'7 mom in front of me

as the Taurus isn't RWD and as such doesn't need a trans tunnel cockpit. To each their own.

What about routing the exhaust or AWD drive train? When was the last time you saw a perfectly flat rear seat floor area?

In my parents 2008 Sable I was able to sit in the back seat and even cross my legs with my 5'7 mom in front of me

2008 is a lot different than the new ones. Once I checked out the inside of a 2010 Taurus I knew I wouldn't be replacing my '05 Five Hundred with one. 2010+ is form over function IMHO.

2008 is a lot different than the new ones. Once I checked out the inside of a 2010 Taurus I knew I wouldn't be replacing my '05 Five Hundred with one. 2010+ is form over function IMHO.

Well, nobody liked/bought "function over form," which were the Five Hundred/Taurus/Montego/Sable, so they went more the other way.

I'm sure the new model will strike a nice balance between form and function.

Changing platforms on the Taurus is going to have a big ripple effect.

Ford has conquered (?) the sedan police interceptor market, but not everyone is completely happy with the current PI. "Jumbo" sized cops (over 6'2" and 300+ lbs.) do not fit behind the wheel, even with the seat in the rear most position. "Bad guys" riding in the back behind the cage have all most ZERO leg room.

Ford has (more or less) abandoned trying to sell MkT "livery" cars and approved "Qualified Vehicle Modifiers" to add 6" to the wheel base and still maintain the 4-year/150,000-mile extended warranty. These people won't be happy with any downsizing.

You guys would be ok with a rotary knob? BLECH!!! Like the new dodge trucks? Call me old fashioned but a rotary knob to put it in gear?? F^&* NO! That's as bad as these freaking "push buttons" to start/stop the engine.

You wonder why cars are being built more like appliances with no "car guy" thought put into them?? You guys are the answer! And this on a car forum, imagine how much less a person who doesn't even go on car forums thinks of their "appliance"?

Get your transit pass and read your i-pod while you go to work, then you don't need your appliance.

Changing platforms on the Taurus is going to have a big ripple effect.

Ford has conquered (?) the sedan police interceptor market, but not everyone is completely happy with the current PI. "Jumbo" sized cops (over 6'2" and 300+ lbs.) do not fit behind the wheel, even with the seat in the rear most position. "Bad guys" riding in the back behind the cage have all most ZERO leg room.

Ford has (more or less) abandoned trying to sell MkT "livery" cars and approved "Qualified Vehicle Modifiers" to add 6" to the wheel base and still maintain the 4-year/150,000-mile extended warranty. These people won't be happy with any downsizing.

The PI and PIU are going to be around for a while...I don't see Chicago getting new product till after 2018. The Explorer will carry the development of the PI and PIU till then, since its due for a MCE in the next year or so. The MKT and Flex aren't long for this world, so I don't see Ford worrying about selling to that market till they have the CD4+ Explorer ready with a Lincoln varient

Why in the hell should Ford worry about obese cops? Seriously a "healthy" weight at 6'2 is about 171-209 (maybe this is a little on the low side) but if you weigh 300lbs+ at 6'2, your ass needs to go on a diet and cut back on the donuts or something...because its seriously unhealthy and you'll drop dead if you have chase anyone. I have no issue fitting behind the wheel on my Taurus SHO at 6'2, even if i had to wear pistol belt..and I'm a bit chubby at 225-230.

You guys would be ok with a rotary knob? BLECH!!! Like the new dodge trucks? Call me old fashioned but a rotary knob to put it in gear?? F^&* NO! That's as bad as these freaking "push buttons" to start/stop the engine.

You wonder why cars are being built more like appliances with no "car guy" thought put into them?? You guys are the answer! And this on a car forum, imagine how much less a person who doesn't even go on car forums thinks of their "appliance"?

Its a beautiful thing to be able to start and stop your car without taking your keys out of your pocket..thats one of my favorate things on my SHO.

The Mustang GT I have is a dinosaur vs the SHO when it comes to tech, and its fun to drive on the weekends, I'd rather have a much more confortable car (thats as fast, if not faster) then the Mustang to drive every day or do long distance trips in.

What I want is a clutch and a shift lever, but that ain't happening. If I'm stuck with a slushbox, WTF does it matter how I get the bloody thing into gear or get the engine started?

The PI and PIU are going to be around for a while...I don't see Chicago getting new product till after 2018. The Explorer will carry the development of the PI and PIU till then, since its due for a MCE in the next year or so. The MKT and Flex aren't long for this world, so I don't see Ford worrying about selling to that market till they have the CD4+ Explorer ready with a Lincoln varient

Why in the hell should Ford worry about obese cops? Seriously a "healthy" weight at 6'2 is about 171-209 (maybe this is a little on the low side) but if you weigh 300lbs+ at 6'2, your ass needs to go on a diet and cut back on the donuts or something...because its seriously unhealthy and you'll drop dead if you have chase anyone. I have no issue fitting behind the wheel on my Taurus SHO at 6'2, even if i had to wear pistol belt..and I'm a bit chubby at 225-230

I agree with everything you said, especially abiut timing of a new product and obese cops !

One thing I wish Ford would consider is building the MkS on a longer wheelbase. It would help demarcate MkS from Taurus. It would also make a better base for the PI.

One thing I wish Ford would consider is building the MkS on a longer wheelbase. It would help demarcate MkS from Taurus. It would also make a better base for the PI.

Lincoln has already demonstrated with the MKC that they're willing to alter the base platform (increasing track in the MKC's case - not sure about WB), so that wouldn't surprise me at all. Assuming the MKS stays FWD and shares CD4+.

Get your transit pass and read your i-pod while you go to work, then you don't need your appliance.

Push button start is bad? I love it in my Edge. And what exactly is so un-"car guy" like about a push button start? Their roots are in race cars for crying out loud.