Ford Announced 4 Recalls, 1.4Mil Vehicles Affected

The steering issues of course need to be handled. The tag light problem. Eh less important but should be looked at.

Floor mats on old cars? Most of them will be either wore out and nasty or covered by $10 plastic autozone specials. At what point do you think a owner should take time and make sure the vehicle is safe to drive. That includes everything from tires to floor mats.

My 13 F150 has all weather factory mats. They have dual retainers, the car wash some times doesn't get them hooked in. So as a person operating a vehicle I make sure if the mat gets loose, I fix it. I have owned a 06 fusion and a 2012 fusion. I never saw any floor mat issues.

I just say take all the mats out and make them a owner installed accessory. Take the liability away. Better yet rhino line the floor because people are too lazy.

Just a note to "help ease the pain".

"...May 2014 Safety Recall Alerts: Import Vehicles

So far the month of May has given us several interesting safety recalls for domestic vehicles, carefully filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). There are also many safety recalls associated with imported vehicles. In the news for this past weekend, the Hyundai Motor Company announced that they will recall approximately 140,000 Tucson crossover SUVs manufactured between 2011 and 2014. The Korean automaker stated that they had notified the NHTSA of the impending recall but there has been no official recall number posted, as of yet. Since the recall was not announced until Saturday, May 17, it is probably a matter of the NHTSA updating their website and that should be done on Monday..."

Read more: May 2014 Safety Recall Alerts: Import Vehicles | Best Ride Midnight Oil Auto Blog http://bestride.com/blog/2014/05/may-2014-safety-recall-alerts-import-vehicles/#ixzz33CSwIYID

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the Escape steering recall is a simple software update or some longer process that might result in leaving the vehicle fora day or as so? Our closest Ford dealer is over 44 miles away.

Edited by bdegrand

Does anyone know if the Escape steering recall is a simple software update or some longer process that might result in leaving the vehicle fora day or as so? Our closest Ford dealer is over 44 miles away.

"Dealers will perform one of three service fixes, depending upon what diagnostic codes are shown when the vehicle is taken to the dealer," Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker wrote to Autoblog in an email. "They will either update software for the power steering control module and the instrument cluster module; replace the torque sensor; or replace the steering column, which includes upgraded power steering control module software."

Everyone who bothered to read the article knows.

Oh my...if we called the dealer would they be able to tell us which one we need? We would have to rent a car being so far away and Ford probably won't pay for that.

Nope, they will have to hook it up. Maybe the dealership will give you a loaner for a day. Mine usually does.

My advice: wait for the recall notice, then call and make an appointment with the dealer. When you call to make the appointment, see if they will give you a loaner.

Nope, they will have to hook it up. Maybe the dealership will give you a loaner for a day. Mine usually does.

My advice: wait for the recall notice, then call and make an appointment with the dealer. When you call to make the appointment, see if they will give you a loaner.

Ok. Maybe wait a few months to see if they have more recalls....since I read it involves over 800,000 plus vehicles, but less than 15 had issues...I think it results in only loss of power steering resulting in manual steering...rather than COMPLETE loss of steering? I use to drive my old Mercury Comet 202 with manual steering. Great car....came standard with one outside driver mirror and no carpeting.

I think it results in only loss of power steering resulting in manual steering...rather than COMPLETE loss of steering?

Correct. Not really THAT dangerous of a recall unless you go into panic mode pretty easily.

My MIL has an Escape that will probably fall under this. She is one that should go in and get it taken care of immediately! If not for her safety, then for my sanity so she isn't bugging me about it. Maybe this one will finally push her over the edge (no pun intended...she wanted to get an Edge next) and back into Chevy so I don't have to field the non-stop questions about 'my car does this' and 'my car does that'.

New and improved to come soon.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/05/29/ford-to-launch-advanced-steering-technology.html

May 29, 2014 | Dearborn, Mich. Ford to Launch Advanced Steering Technology to Help Make Vehicles Easier to Maneuver, More Fun to Drive
  • Ford’s Adaptive Steering – a new generation of steering technology – will be available within 12 months
  • New technology improves steering feel at all speeds, making any vehicle easier to maneuver and more enjoyable to drive
  • Housed entirely within the steering wheel, Ford’s newest steering technology is a smart solution that will benefit drivers in all driving conditions

Ford Motor Company is bringing to market a new generation of steering technology that will help make vehicles easier to maneuver at low speeds and in tight spaces. At higher speeds, the new technology will help make the vehicle more agile and fun to drive.

“First and foremost, all Ford Motor Company products have to offer a great driving experience,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “This new steering technology can make any vehicle easier to maneuver and more fun to drive.”

I use to drive my old Mercury Comet 202 with manual steering

And you think that's the same as losing the power assist without a moments notice> The mid 1990 to mid 2000 era model Crown Vic's killed four along with other accidents because of undersized power steering puimps befoe losing a few lawsuits got them changed.

And you think that's the same as losing the power assist without a moments notice> The mid 1990 to mid 2000 era model Crown Vic's killed four along with other accidents because of undersized power steering puimps befoe losing a few lawsuits got them changed.

If you can't handle the loss of power steering, then you really shouldn't be driving. Seriously, cars are mechanical items that sometimes fail, and you really need to be prepared for failures while driving. What if a tire blows out? What if the truck in front of you loses something off the bed? What if your accelerator gets stuck under your floor mat? What if your steering wheel suddenly gets harder to turn?

Now, I'm not trying to lessen the loss of those 4 people, nor the severity of this recall, but really, $hit happens, and you need to be prepared while while piloting a 4000+ pound vehicle down the road at 60, 70, 80 MPH. As long as turning the wheel still changes direction of the car and the steering wheel is not locked, a driver should be able to handle the loss of power steering with relative ease.

• Like 1

That's idiotic tryoing to gloss over the problem. So why was the wiring issue with GM such a major issue. Pulling over to the side is so difficult? Losing a major system with zero notice can and had caused injuries and death. That's not a problem? Turning the wheel with the force of a pound or two and them upping that the 40 or 50 pounds is a significant issue, expecially for smaller drivers.

Losing it while going straight ahead isn't a big issue but they go out during turning manuverers and then you have a mva or worse. A recall that may involve the replacement of a steering colume doesn't sound that insignificant. Unfortunatly my two Ford Escapes that at one point were trouble free are not developing issues one after another and neither had over 50k on them. Once again I seem to think cost cutting from vendors is biting a car company in the ass. I good design powered by cheap parts..

Edited by rscalzo

That's idiotic tryoing to gloss over the problem. So why was the wiring issue with GM such a major issue. Pulling over to the side is so difficult? Losing a major system with zero notice can and had caused injuries and death. That's not a problem? Turning the wheel with the force of a pound or two and them upping that the 40 or 50 pounds is a significant issue, expecially for smaller drivers.

Losing it while going straight ahead isn't a big issue but they go out during turning manuverers and then you have a mva or worse. A recall that may involve the replacement of a steering colume doesn't sound that insignificant. Unfortunatly my two Ford Escapes that at one point were trouble free are not developing issues one after another and neither had over 50k on them. Once again I seem to think cost cutting from vendors is biting a car company in the ass. I good design powered by cheap parts..

I specifically said that I wasn't glossing over the problem. It's an issue that needs to be fixed, but drivers should be prepared to handle something like that. Don't panic, remain calm, turn the wheel, and pull over as soon as possible. Also, at speed, it doesn't take 40-50 lbs of force to turn the wheel without power steering. PS is much more of a help at low speed than at high speeds.

GM's was a major issue because it locked the steering wheel when the key shut off. If you can't see the difference there, then nothing I say can help you. Unless there is a different GM recall that I am not remembering...there's been a bunch lately.

So why is my 2012 Escape not affected? What changed in that last year of the last gen?

Never had an issue with floor mats in my '11 Fusion. I don't get why floor mats are so complicated to understand for some people.

***Edit****

Nevermind, found the answer in the Detroit News. The part was updated in late 2010 so likely only some of the MY2011 copies are affected.

Edited by baggs32

Oh NO license plate lamp corrosion!!!!

Also, after what seems like a hundred years of issues with this, why are we still having floor mat/accelerator issues?

This one affects more than the Taurus.

My 2011 communter Focus had the lamps replaced 2 months ago due to this.

Its about time Ford learnt from these recalls and concentrated on building better cars with better components and better materials, this seems to happen over and over again. Here in Europe they are losing interest from buyers due to reliability and build quality and the germans especially VW are tapping into this. Ford has appeared right at the bottom of most recent surveys for this, with Skoda right at the very top! Who would have thought that Skoda is now perceived as a slightly up more market brand than a Ford. Ford is left fighting for territory with Koreans.

http://www.ky3.com/news/business/the-top-10-auto-recalls-ever/21049046_26191318

• Like 1