5 things Mark Fields will have to do

I think the article is a little behind where Ford actually is, and probably stating the obvious..

1. A replacement for Sync and replacing microsoft is already well underway

2. Lincoln product pipeline is full and redy to go in China, dealership upgrades are happening

3.Last year, Ford increased sales in China by 50% and Ford is looking at 1.3 million sales there this year.

4. Europe is recovering slowly and Ford's restructuring will be completed later this year further reducing losses.

5. This is the acid test because Ford now has a great team that also remembers what business was like before Mulally, no one wants that again.

I think Fields needs to have that big overarching forward vision of where the company heads next, it's no good just keeping to what Mulally did

as he was setting up strong foundations that Fields could build upon, so fields needs to be more expansive with good calculated risks that

offer Ford great returns on investment by capturing even more market share, be that volume products of valuable niches overlooked until now.

Edited by jpd80

so fields needs to be more expansive with good calculated risks that

offer Ford great returns on investment by capturing even more market share, be that volume products of valuable niches overlooked until now.

10-4. The next five years are going to be SO interesting . . . :)

• Like 1

I think Fields needs to have that big overarching forward vision of where the company heads next......

This will indeed be his biggest challenge. Mulally did the heavy-lifting in restructuring Ford, it’s now up to Fields to take Ford to the next level.

• Like 1

While Fields is clearly a disciple and true believer in Mulally's philosophy, I'm sure that he will play a more expansive game

while using the same measures as Mulally to grow the company the right way. I have a feeling that Lincoln will be the

test case for stretching global platforms as far as they can go until Lincoln is ready to take the next step.

In the meantime, Ford will rediscover the efficiencies and control with producing parts internally, I have a feeling

that electrification will really begin to take off with the more Ford does themselves. While GM fiddles with Voltec II,

Ford is closing the gap with energi in vehicles people really want to buy, give them 30 mile range and see the change..

Edited by jpd80

I think he also needs to look at how to reduce Ford recalls and may be improve better quality products and services from suppliers. I just hope for Fords sake that the Mustang launch goes without any recalls, otherwise the press will have a field day, excuse the pun!

I think he also needs to look at how to reduce Ford recalls and may be improve better quality products and services from suppliers. I just hope for Fords sake that the Mustang launch goes without any recalls, otherwise the press will have a field day, excuse the pun!

The press is actually very forgiving of recalls. It really only raises an eyebrow when there are piles of them or they affect a large volume of cars. Almost every car ends up having at least one recall at one point or another.

The press is actually very forgiving of recalls. It really only raises an eyebrow when there are piles of them or they affect a large volume of cars. Almost every car ends up having at least one recall at one point or another.

And as today's May sales results show, the America public doesn't pay much attention to recalls (witness the 12% increase in sales for GM, despite two months of incredible negative press).

And as today's May sales results show, the America public doesn't pay much attention to recalls (witness the 12% increase in sales for GM, despite two months of incredible negative press).

Doesn't hurt that they had better-than-expected fleet sales either.

I think Fields will need to figure out how to add more interesting, lower volume vehicles without losing money. If the Mustang doesn't fit your climate or lifestyle, the selection and excitement level at a Ford or Lincoln dealership is thin. Several other companies are better at differentiating models. I believe there is value, beyond the per platform profit margin, in having a global RWD platform adaptable to AWD. I can't think of a company as large and global as Ford that doesn't have one. Mulally did great, but in saving a company at an economically difficult time, he deferred investment in a lot of segments. Ford doesn't have to chase all of them, but they need at least two or three new vehicles worldwide to not become the really boring car company. Even Toyota, who has that market in the bag, has a much fuller product line.

• Like 1

I think Fields will need to figure out how to add more interesting, lower volume vehicles without losing money. If the Mustang doesn't fit your climate or lifestyle, the selection and excitement level at a Ford or Lincoln dealership is thin. Several other companies are better at differentiating models. I believe there is value, beyond the per platform profit margin, in having a global RWD platform adaptable to AWD. I can't think of a company as large and global as Ford that doesn't have one. Mulally did great, but in saving a company at an economically difficult time, he deferred investment in a lot of segments. Ford doesn't have to chase all of them, but they need at least two or three new vehicles worldwide to not become the really boring car company. Even Toyota, who has that market in the bag, has a much fuller product line.

I think that will come in time, and that time may be soon. Ford HAD to secure the bottom line, and to do that, they had to get the core products in order and ensure they can make a profit on them. That is in place for the most part now, and after the coming wave of new products over the next 12 months (Mustang, F150, MKC, Edge, MKX, etc), I think we should start to see Ford branch out into some of the niche areas. The niche areas don't pay the bills on their own, while the other products do.

In the end though, if Ford has solid product in the major categories, they don't need those niche vehicles.

I agree, but boy, can niche vehicles be fun.

Just as an example,

Look at Corvette at the moment sales are up over 3,300 last month. I think Ford should be looking at niches to make sure

valuable customers aren't slipping through the cracks, there could be decent money there not being made.

I'm not suggesting that Ford do a Corvette, just simply look through their range for where value or vehicles can be added.

It's simply a question of priorities. Once the big hitters for cost savings (platform consolidation with Escape, Fusion, Focus e.g.) and new products (aluminum F150, new mustang) are out of the way and the bottom line is secure there will be plenty of room and resources for niche vehicles. I think there is still a lot of higher priority work to do before that happens although one or two would be nice to see.

The Mondeo would be nice to have here in Europe but we are still waiting for it. It will be 3 years old when it arrives and one of its biggest rivals the 'Passat' will be brand new featuring VW's latest technology and efficient Bluemotion engines. The Mondeo will be too late to the party especially as customers in this sector are now even shifting upwards to BMW and Audi.

The Mondeo would be nice to have here in Europe but we are still waiting for it. It will be 3 years old when it arrives and one of its biggest rivals the 'Passat' will be brand new featuring VW's latest technology and efficient Bluemotion engines. The Mondeo will be too late to the party especially as customers in this sector are now even shifting upwards to BMW and Audi.

Well, if the core of the segment is migrating to BMW and Audi, maybe that's a segment that Ford can walk away from.

Certainly, if that is the true case, and not your opinion, Ford can make much more money in other EU segments. They could even, again, if your opinion relates to reality, ponder bringing the Lincoln line-up with the product they'll have 5-6 years from now. Because, if "customers in this sector are now even shifting upwards to BMW and Audi" is reality, it will take a luxury nameplate to sell properly.

Somehow, it'll all work out. :)

I'm sorry, the Mondeo still isn't available in Europe??

I think this is why Ford EU is stepping up the game with the Vignale line.

Let's not forget, for the most part it was Fields' "Way Foward" plan that formed the basis of what Mulally put into action when he got there. Fields just didn't have the manpower, following, balls (choose whichever fits best) to put the plan into action. It took an outsider to not care about pushing through with it and them implementing the management / leadership structures to back it up. Fields didn't start off a Mulally follower, but was one of the first to become one (according to the book).

I think he'll do a good job now that the culture has changed. He obviously wasn't the man to change the culture, but I think he knows where Ford is heading now. I think he has that vision. He certainly proved himself at Mazda.

Let's not forget, for the most part it was Fields' "Way Foward" plan that formed the basis of what Mulally put into action when he got there. Fields just didn't have the manpower, following, balls (choose whichever fits best) to put the plan into action. It took an outsider to not care about pushing through with it and them implementing the management / leadership structures to back it up. Fields didn't start off a Mulally follower, but was one of the first to become one (according to the book).

I think he'll do a good job now that the culture has changed. He obviously wasn't the man to change the culture, but I think he knows where Ford is heading now. I think he has that vision. He certainly proved himself at Mazda.

More like Fields didn't have the authority to implement the sweeping changes required in that plan.

Mulally came in with a CEO title and authority and the 100% backing of the Family and Board.

Fields didn't have any of those. He was just a senior executive. It was up to Bill to implement as CEO.