Ford May sales up 3%; Best May Retail Sales in 10 years

I was going to mention the same thing but it seems like its taboo on this forum. Its a wonder it sells as well as it does. As far as I am concerned the DCT ranks right up there with MFT in terms of a massive screw up.

I have the same feeling. I love the new Focus, and our 2005 SE has given us fantastic service (182,000 miles with one major problem - the alternator died in February). But this transmission definitely gives me pause, and my wife doesn't want a manual.

Edited by grbeck

My daughter's 2012 Focus is running fine. Occasionally it jerks a little according to her but it never does it with me so I think it's how she drives. Haven't heard of any actual failures recently so at this point I think the problems are more of a nuisance for certain drivers.

That said I don't think it's worth the hassles or the bad PR to keep it going forward. Maybe the wet clutch version for performance vehicles would work.

Try to find any information on the 2015 Edge with the new styling. There are no order guides, no job 1 dates, no dates for the order bank to open. Nothing whatsoever. The longer we go without the order bank dates the less the chance of seeing the new Edge this calendar year. I'm guessing it will be pushed back to Spring 2015.

Again I'll point out none of those exist for the new F-150 either.

Re soft Focus sales, in the sales call Ford was asked about low Focus sales, and the 2 main factors

in the answer were

1.Reduction of sales to daily rental

2.Focus shoppers choosing the Escape and Fusion instead.

And it was also mentioned the Focus retail sales are only down 1%.

So they (Ford) do not seem too worried.

Subcompact A/B segment sales by model:

1. Kia Soul 15,606
2. Nissan Versa 11,243
3. Chevy Sonic 8,784
4. Ford Fiesta 7,209
5. Hyundai Accent 6,117
6. Chevy Spark 5,177
7. Buick Encore 4,475
8. Kia Rio 3,929
9. Nissan Juke 3,825
10. Honda Fit 3,485
11. Fiat 500 3,337
12. Mini Mini 3,244
13. Hyundai Veloster 2,971
14. Mini Countryman/Paceman 2,485
15. Mitsubishi Mirage 1,700
16. Toyota Yaris 1,616
17. Fiat 500L 1,434
18. Mazda2 1,294
19. Scion xD 823
20. Honda CR-Z 389
21. Nissan Cube 354
22. Scion iQ 241
23. Mitsubishi i-Meh 35
Smart ForTwo [TBD]
Toyota Yaris Hybrid Prius C [TBD]

Subcompact A/B segment sales by company/group:

You can see clearly the Koreans really own this segment but GM is a surprise #2. Their two-front strategy to flank the Sonic with Spark (cheap) and Encore (expensive) is really working.

Hyundai-Kia 28,623
GM 18,436
Nissan 15,422
Ford 7,209
BMW 5,729
FCA 4,771
Honda 3,485
Toyota 2,680* [does not include Prius C]
Mitsubishi 1,735
Mazda 1,294
Daimler [undisclosed number of Smart ForTwo - most of them electric]

Total auto sales in May is being reported to be up 11% over last year. My point in earlier posts is that 3% by Ford isn't necessarily a reason to get excited. Yes, there are many factors such as production constraints for Ford and for the May 2013 baseline of other competitors. A thoughtful review shows these to numbers to be mixed for Ford, and to not tell much of the story without further analyses. There seems to be some that look at the most simple number, percent increase, and cheer as if their team just won the World Series. I'd say it was one time up to bat in a game that hopefully never ends, and Ford neither hit a home run or grounded into a double play.

Again I'll point out none of those exist for the new F-150 either.

Wrong again.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CGcQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bblfleet.com%2Ffleetdocs%2Fford_buildout.pdf&ei=C7iPU8rlGcyOqAayw4CoCw&usg=AFQjCNGS70lSXVqvRX8ZTNST2q-KPARM1w&sig2=ClVv6AZHQ6V38IyBjy4X0w&bvm=bv.68235269,d.b2k&cad=rja

Ford F-150

last date for 2014 orders 5/23/2014

2015 order bank opens 7/16/2014

Job 1 10/20/2014

There seems to be some that look at the most simple number, percent increase, and cheer as if their team just won the World Series. I'd say it was one time up to bat in a game that hopefully never ends, and Ford neither hit a home run or grounded into a double play.

As opposed to you, who only look at the most simple number, percent increase, and jeer as if their team came in last place?

Did you completely miss the part where Ford had its BEST RETAIL SALES in 10 years? How is that not something hugely positive?

Would it have been better if Ford had increased fleet sales and came up with a 11% increase for May?

Fusion and Escape had great months. Many others were solid. A few were not so good. I didn't see anyone claiming anything different.

It would be nice to have a new Edge and a new Flex-something to boost market share, but the new Transit and Transit Connect are incredibly important for future revenue, and they're just coming to market. Is there any approximate date for the new transmissions for the various platforms? :)

Total auto sales in May is being reported to be up 11% over last year. My point in earlier posts is that 3% by Ford isn't necessarily a reason to get excited. Yes, there are many factors such as production constraints for Ford and for the May 2013 baseline of other competitors. A thoughtful review shows these to numbers to be mixed for Ford, and to not tell much of the story without further analyses. There seems to be some that look at the most simple number, percent increase, and cheer as if their team just won the World Series. I'd say it was one time up to bat in a game that hopefully never ends, and Ford neither hit a home run or grounded into a double play.

Or one good metric you can use is that Ford is still about 30,000 units behind GM which roughly aligns with where production and sales are.

The point to make is how are others making their gains and do they iuse the same metrics to achieve sales as Ford, clearly the answer is no...

That must have been a recent announcement then. It certainly wasn't the case the last time we had this conversation.

That must have been a recent announcement then. It certainly wasn't the case the last time we had this conversation.

Nope, the thing i has found when we were last discussing it didn't have any info about the F-150, so yeah it must be fairly new.

Nope, the thing i has found when we were last discussing it didn't have any info about the F-150, so yeah it must be fairly new.

But even if the dates had not been published the production version of the F150 was shown back in January and production was confirmed verbally for later in 2014. We still haven't seen anything close to a production version of the Edge yet or any comments whatsoever.

Only thing troubling is that GM (with all the recalls), Chrysler, Toyota and Honda all had 12 to 18 percent increases! Why Ford only 3?

Do people not read and just post random reactionary posts? :)

Ford is holding back incentive on some key vehicles to build up inventory in anticipation of extended shutdowns for F-150, Transit, Edge retooling, and Focus facelift. On vehicles with no such issues, Ford is bumping up against production capacity (Escape & Fusion).

Because of the major product introductions, Ford expects to lose market share in 2014. But 2015 could (in theory) be a huge year.

Edited by bzcat

Only thing troubling is that GM (with all the recalls), Chrysler, Toyota and Honda all had 12 to 18 percent increases! Why Ford only 3?

It's all relative. With previous announcements to manage expectation to be lower, up 3% seems to beat the (lowered) expectation. On Tuesday, F stock went up, while GM went down, even with a 13% sales increase.

But even if the dates had not been published the production version of the F150 was shown back in January and production was confirmed verbally for later in 2014. We still haven't seen anything close to a production version of the Edge yet or any comments whatsoever.

Edge is still in concept phase. Did we hear production dates when the Atlas came out?

Edge is still in concept phase. Did we hear production dates when the Atlas came out?

It was previously identified as the "2015 Edge Concept" and all indications were it was originally planned for this fall. Something has changed or is just running very very late.

Not anything close? There are pre-production prototypes that have been spied numerous times. It simply has not been unveiled yet. There isn't always a 12-month lead-up to a new product launch. The Edge is not the F-150. We covered this already.

In the end, we'll see it when we see it. I don't see any ironclad indication that it will definitely come out this year or that it will definitely come out next year. It's still June!!

I will say this though: with Edge continuing to sell consistently despite its age, I doubt Ford is in any urgent rush to get it out.

Edited by NickF1011