Ford May sales up 3%; Best May Retail Sales in 10 years

Best May Retail Sales in 10 Years Nets Records for Fusion, Escape, Lincoln MKZ; Best Explorer Sales Since July 2005

• Ford Fusion and Ford Escape establish best-ever monthly sales records
  • Ford Explorer, America’s best-selling midsize utility, has its best sales month since 2005
  • Lincoln MKZ sets a new sales record for May; all-new Lincoln MKC now on sale
  • Total May U.S. sales up 3 percent with 254,084 vehicles sold; retail sales up 6 percent with 174,889 vehicles sold

Ford Motor Company U.S. sales totaled 254,084 vehicles in May, up 3 percent from a year ago. Retail sales set several model records with 174,889 vehicles sold – an increase of 6 percent.

“Fusion and Escape had their best months ever, which helped us to our strongest May result since May 2004,” said John Felice, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Explorer continued to gain ground in the midsize utility segment with its best monthly sales performance in nearly 10 years, while Lincoln MKZ saw its best May ever.”

Ford Fusion set an all-time monthly record in May with sales of 33,881 vehicles. The West region of the U.S. continues to push Fusion sales higher, with a 42 percent increase – making it Fusion’s best-ever retail month for the region.

With 31,896 vehicle sales, Ford Escape also posts an all-time record, topping the 30,000-vehicle mark for the first time ever. Ford Explorer sales in May topped the 20,000-vehicle mark for the first time since July 2005 with sales of 20,346 vehicles, a 21 percent increase from last year. Escape and Explorer sales of 52,242 vehicles helped increase total utility vehicle sales by 9 percent – the best May performance since July 2005.

Lincoln sales are up 21 percent for May, with 8,845 vehicles sold. MKZ had its best May sales performance ever, breaking last year’s record with 3,714 cars sold. The all-new Lincoln MKC is now on sale – with 677 MKC vehicles sold during the final weekend of May.

Link to full release with tables: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2014/06/03/may2014sales.pdf

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Thirty. Three. Thousand. Fusions. Holy smokes!

Add to that 31,000 Escapes (!) and 20,000 Explorers (!!) and it's a pretty great month.

Only big downers were Edge (and the end of its lifecycle) and C-Max (which is settling in as a low volume model).

Oh! and first 600 MKC sales are on the books.

Excellent news, Fusion at 33,881, not long before it crashes through 34,000 barrier.

Can't wait to see the first full month of MKC, Lincoln sales will then jump above 10,000 sales a month

Last year, GM combined sales for May was 252,984 so Ford is edging higher every year.

Also, look at Explorer and PI Utility go and with sales like that, Ford wouldn't be worried about Taurus, PI sedan or MKS

Edited by jpd80

Are the next-generation Explorer and Taurus still going to be based on the same platform?

I'm expecting this...the Taurus and Edge are going to be very closely related...I'm assuming the CD4 platform will be widened 3 inches or so to accommodate the next gen Edge/MKX/Galaxy/S-Max and Taurus/MKS, which would help keep the Taurus separated from the Fusion, plus offer a V6 engine in it. The Next Gen Explorer will be a stretched out version of this platform to accommodate a 3rd row of seats.

I'll be interested to see what Ford does with the Taurus underpinnings.

CD4.2 (IIRC) is what they're calling the Edge/Explorer(S-Max/Galaxy, probably) platform, which will have, at the very least, a different, CUV friendly, rear subframe/suspension.

But I don't know if that's going to end up under the Taurus, given the shortcomings of the current CUV-based Taurus.

Overall very strong. Even some of the down models are down from considerably high months last year, like Edge, which has typically been in the ~10,000 range for most months. C-Max is still sputtering a bit. Hopefully it can recover at some point.

Lincoln is looking a lot better. Next month should be very good for the brand overall with a full month of MKC under its belt. MKZ is still going strong and even MKX is holding on well despite its age -- perhaps winning some buyers who came in initially to look at MKC? These new models can only help each other.

Good month for Ford. Anyone know why the Chevy Cruz sales are so much better than the Focus?

Price, incentives and fleet sales would be my guess.

Around here at least the Chevy dealers are all advertising that they can get you into a new Cruze with GM financing even with a 500 credit score.

Good month for Ford. Anyone know why the Chevy Cruz sales are so much better than the Focus?

I'd pin much of it on the Fusion being that much better than the Malibu. People wanting a GM are settling for a Cruze while people wanting a Ford are stepping up to the Fusion. Which seems like a better scenario?

I'd pin much of it on the Fusion being that much better than the Malibu. People wanting a GM are settling for a Cruze while people wanting a Ford are stepping up to the Fusion. Which seems like a better scenario?

I believe that the Malibu's back seat isn't that much larger than the Cruze's back seat...I'm sure that many people therefore wonder why they should move up to the Malibu.

akirby was referencing a pretty lengthy debate over the timing of the new Edge that occurred a few weeks back

Importantly, the new Edge will be a newly styled Edge, but it will not be a New Edge styled vehicle, nor will it be used to bring out a new New Edge style.

Edited by RichardJensen

From the sales call Average transaction Price across all f Series is around $40,000 and overall, Incentive spend at around $4,000/ truck

Felice went on to say that ( I think) incentives is down around $570 compared to May Last Year but F150 went up slightly in May.

Edited by jpd80