My Lincoln Date Night experience with the 2015 MKC

A couple of weekends ago, I was able to take advantage of Lincoln's Date Night program with the new 2015 MKC. For those of you that may not know quite how the program works, you sign up online and give them some basic info (name, address, current vehicle, etc), and the Date Night Headquarters determines your closest dealer and sets up a time for you to pick up the vehicle for 48 hours (or less if you prefer), and you receive a $100 gift card as part of the promotion.

Date Night Setup

I will begin this write-up with how it started - my experience of getting my Date Night set up. One day, I drove by the local Lincoln dealer and saw they had a new MKC out front. A salesperson came out and said that it was their Date Night unit, and he let me sit in it, and I told him I'd look into the Date Night. Now, I've known about the program for the MKZ for some time, and I actually had received an email invitation to participate in the program with the MKZ in the past but have not done it (I'm assuming it came because I signed up for email updates, etc.). I originally went to Lincoln's website to find more information on it, and could not find anything. I then Googled the program and found information at a separate website, www.lincolnmkzdatenight.com (the previously mentioned email also included a link to this page). This leads me to believe that it's not their intention to let anybody and everybody that visits the Lincoln website participate in the program. When I looked at the Date Night webpage, it only had information about the doing the Date Night program with the MKZ, and nothing to be found on the MKC.

This led me to using Lincoln's concierge feature, in which you talk with a representative "instant message" style, asking them whatever you might like to know. I inquired about how to sign up for the Date Night with the MKC. The representative was very polite and helpful - she was not entirely sure how to get it set up with the MKC (since the website only has the MKZ), but took down my information and said she would contact me the next day with more information. Just as promised, she called me the next day saying the program was indeed available for the MKC, but the website has not yet been updated to reflect that (it still has not been - I believe they're waiting for more Date Night units to arrive at dealers before launching the website). She offered to contact the Date Night Headquarters on my behalf to begin the setup process. A day or two later, someone from the Date Night Headquarters contacted me to set up a date to pick the vehicle up. Originally they had asked if I wanted to sign up for the end of July, as they were not sure if the vehicle was at the dealer yet for them to loan out. I told them I had seen it at the dealer, and asked if it were possible to use it earlier; they called the next day saying it was and I could take it that weekend if I wanted (I did). Just provide your license and proof of insurance, and you're good to go!

Overall, I'd say getting it set up was initially a confusing process, however the degree to which the Lincoln Concierge and Date Night Headquarters representatives were willing to help find information and contact the appropriate people made it a positive experience. I also realize that they are just getting the vehicle to dealers, so certain aspects of the process, such as the MKC being featured on the website (similar to a lack of advertising of it to this point) will be fixed in the near future making it a more streamlined process.

They include this booklet that encloses the $100 gift card.

3E7F07CE-C9B0-4A40-984E-85362826D4C2_zps

Now, moving on to the vehicle itself.....

First Impressions

One note before I begin - I will include some pictures here within my comments, but will also include a link to a Photobucket album that features all the pictures I took, as I don't want to post too many here.

The MKC I received had White Platinum paint, the 19" wheels, and a black interior, and 2.0L EcoBoost motor. It featured almost all of the available options, with the biggest exceptions being the larger 2.3L EcoBoost engine, and the available 20" wheels (only available with the 2.3L EB).

First impression of the vehicle as I walk up to it is that it's a great looking little crossover. I've loved the design since I saw the concept in Detroit last year, with my only production complaint being the lack of integrated exhausts - a la the MKZ - but that's not the end of the world. I think the front end is the best interpretation of Lincoln's split wing grille yet. It's nicely proportioned and fits well with the rest of the design.

F685C860-0D4C-491D-BAB9-0BFF819C0ED2_zps

The daytime running lights look nice - there's LED piping within the headlight cluster that are on along with the LED "fog lights" (they aren't considered fog lights but are in a traditional fog light place) to form the DRLs.

2771DE5B-6C96-4671-B7B6-E51083AF9030_zps

Moving to the rear of the vehicle, I'm definitely a fan of the full-width taillight bar; the clamshell liftgate allows for it to be uninterrupted across the entire panel. As I mentioned previously, the only knock I have on the rear (or really the whole design) is the lack of the integrated exhaust - I think that would've helped set it over the top, but it's not a deal-breaker.

2EC7E5F9-6BD8-44C4-B0D1-60D2AA8B2C1E_zps

BC4BD502-ABC4-49FA-BA81-2AD83B6A118F_zps

Some of you might be wondering what the lights in the rear bumper do - normally, they just function as the rear side marker. However, if for whatever reason you have the liftgate open (say you have a large item that won't allow it to close entirely), those lights in the bumper (white part) function as running and brake lights.

176CE88F-E4B4-4AD6-B76C-F24F111B3A3F_zps

Exterior-wise this MKC looks absolutely nothing like the more frumpy and upright Escape. It's much more sleek, elegant, and expensive looking. I think they did a great job differentiating the two.

Moving to the interior...as previously mentioned, this particular model had almost all of the bells and whistles to play around with, but I will get to those more in a minute. Interior materials were of a high quality. There were soft touch pieces all over (aside from lower parts of the cabin you wouldn't touch anyway). This particular model (and I believe all models) featured real wood trim without a glossy finish, which I feel makes it seem more real compared to when they have real wood trim that has a glossy finish on it; it also had real metal aluminum trim, helping the premium feel of the cabin. The seats were comfortable and supportive as well, with 12-way power seats, as well as the heated and cooled functions (the latter very helpful down here in South Florida, especially with a black interior). The center console was at a shallower angle than I am used to, but that's not a knock against the vehicle, just an observation. One knock on interior materials could be the silver trim around the center console - this is just a gray somewhat shiny plastic, and looks out of place with the real metal trim right next to it. No deal breaker or anything, but still, it cheapens the interior just slightly.

In a vehicle this size especially, the push-button shifter is a beneficial thing. Pushing buttons to change gears takes a bit of getting used to (I found myself reaching for the non-existent shifter multiple times), but is obviously a simple process. Eliminating the traditional shifter opens up more storage room on the center console area where there isn't much room to begin with (simply because it's a small vehicle). As you all know, they went back to traditional buttons for the controls. They don't look like anything special, but function exactly as expected, and for features like the heated and cooled seats especially, are much more practical than a potential menu switch or two within My Lincoln Touch (depending on what screen you were on).

F0E69A90-7AAE-40B8-B484-5BD9DE5D6A63_zps

I did not take a picture of it, but I was told rear legroom was a bit tight (both me and my rear occupants are right around 6'0" tall). I probably could've moved the chair up a bit more, but adjustable pedals would've been helpful in that regard. Cargo space behind the second row seemed like a good amount to carry various items. You won't fit huge items in there without putting the back seat down, but for most everyday items you might carry, it'd work fine. The panoramic Vista roof is a great feature - covering almost the entire cabin, it really lets a lot of light in.

465D31EB-5A70-4FEA-A2F1-E777743C5964_zps

I am a huge fan of little details that show that attention to detail and extra effort to make something special. The MKC has a few features that most may not even notice, but I thought were really cool little things. The first two I mention, I will not include pictures but just describe (pictures can be found in the gallery I will post a link to). One is the push button start - when you hop in the car and look at it before you start it, you can see it pulsating - not a necessary thing, but a cool little feature I liked. Another involves the ambient lighting. Yeah, the ambient lighting by itself is pretty cool, but the little detail they've added to it stood out to me. In addition to the lights in the footwell and such, the MKC has lights in the door handles and lower side pockets. So let's say you had the ambient lighting on the light blue color. When you open a door, that door's ambient lighting switches to red to show you it's open (obviously it doesn't work on red). Again, not a necessary feature, but a cool little detail touch I noticed.

The last I'll mention, and perhaps my favorite of them all occurs when approaching the car. Using the proximity key, the car knows you are coming, and illuminates the running lights front and back (as well as the lights in the exterior door handles, and displays the Lincoln welcome mat from a projector on the mirror housings. I believe the Mustang has a similar setup with the Mustang emblem. Just little details that help set the car apart.

D7CC678D-EAB8-4997-8C03-02056FD6B3C0_zps

F5FFABCD-F138-4989-B65E-7FB231647F43_zps

Driving Impressions

This particular MKC had the 2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder. While not super fast, it accelerated well, and I didn't find myself needing more power - having more could make it more fun, but the 2.0 is perfectly capable in this application. I didn't end up on too many twisty roads (there aren't many down here), but it handled well and I could see its potential for a sporty ride as has been mentioned by the magazine reviews. I tested out the different Lincoln Drive Control settings - Comfort, Normal, and Sport. While more difficult to tell the difference between the Normal and either of the two other settings, the difference between Comfort and Sport was definitely noticeable. Going from Comfort to Sport, you could feel the ride become more firm and responsive, whereas going from Sport to Comfort, you feel it become more floaty (for lack of a better word) and relaxed. No matter which setting it was in, the ride was quiet and composed. You can barely hear the engine at idle, and road noise when cruising along was minimal. In the gallery I'm linking to, there is a picture of some of the sound deadening foam that can be seen just ahead of the front doors behind the quarter panel (when the door is opened), showing some of the effort they went through to make the car quiet.

On the mileage front, this model had AWD, so it's rated at 19/26. All told in the ~150 miles or so I put on the car, I averaged somewhere in the 19's (I don't remember the exact figure, and don't have a picture of when I turned it in). That includes both city and highway driving, as well as stepping on it from stoplights, and sitting in the car playing with the features and such. I believe that the mileage ratings are achievable in this car with just driving normally.

Overall driving impressions were that it's a very capable and composed vehicle that has plenty of power in base engine form, with seemingly attainable mileage figures.

Electronics/Features

I decided to go ahead and give electronics their own section. Let's begin with the elephant in the room - My Lincoln Touch. While I have not experienced the system on a day-to-day basis, this was not my first time experiencing My Lincoln Touch (I've been around the identical My Ford Touch some in my dad's Explorer Sport). Therefore, I am familiar the general setup and how it works, but I am not familiar enough with it to know where all the features are located. From that perspective, or looking at it from a viewpoint of someone not at all familiar with it, I can understand why someone could get confused with it. However, as I have said all along, if someone takes 10-15 minutes to sit there and actually explore the various menus and submenus, it becomes much easier to navigate as you become familiar with where things are located. I do think the return of physical buttons for features like the heated/cooled seats help with reducing complexity/unnecessary steps. For instance, say I'm on the radio page on the main screen, and I wanted to turn my cooled seat on. In my dad's Explorer (or other MFT/MLT vehicles to this point), you'd have to first click on the climate or home button to get to that menu before you could turn the seat on. With the physical buttons, you don't even have to use the screen, just click the button. Overall, various features of the system will probably never get used by the majority of people. Taking some time to explore the system vastly helps with understanding it. Is the system perfect? No, absolutely not, but I don't think it's as terrible as the magazines make it out to be. Hopefully Ford's next system will be much better.

Moving onto other electronic gizmos and features....the foot activated liftgate worked as advertised for the most part - sometimes it wouldn't work properly, but that was when I was sitting there playing with it, which you wouldn't do in normal operation. This would be a great feature to have - I can't tell you how many times I come up to the car with a bunch of stuff in my hands, only to have to put something down so I can get the key out to unlock the car/open the liftgate (mine is pre-proximity key).

Adaptive Cruise Control I have used before, and it worked the same in this application - it keeps the distance between you and the car in front of you, and will slow the vehicle down if necessary all the way to 15 or 20 mph before telling you to take over. VERY handy feature on road trips, I might add.

Lane Keep Assist - it has multiple settings - alert, aid, and alert+aid. The alert just vibrates the steering wheel. The aid (and alert+aid) will actually move the car back into the lane if you begin to drift. I tried it on multiple occasions, and it worked, though if you drift over too fast, it won't do it well. Also, in intersections where there are no lines, it obviously doesn't work.

Park Assist - for those of you that have not experienced this, it's still a pretty crazy experience to have the car turn the wheel for you. When playing with the system, it worked well for the most part. It would sometimes mess up if I would move into the space too quickly (the turning would get thrown off to where there wasn't enough space to cut back into the spot parallel to the curb, if that makes sense), but operating it at a normal parking speed, it worked perfectly. This is also Ford's first application of Parallel Park Out Assist, where you push the button and it guides you out of the space. This worked as well, with the only odd thing being that once it turns the wheel at the necessary angle to get you out of the spot and you begin going for a second or two, it shuts off, so that you're left facing at a 45 degree angle to other traffic when you have to take control of the wheel. In other words, it does not turn you parallel into the lane, it just turns you out of the space, and has you take over to turn yourself parallel into the lane of traffic.

Link to video of using parallel park assist ---> http://vid585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/rmc523/Lincoln%20MKC%20Date%20Night/501BF6B6-052F-4394-9264-F0F2AC32D6F3_zps5nwelprr.mp4

Pricing

I didn't take a picture of the window sticker, but I remember the price being right around $47,000 for this model. It had most options except the 2.3L EB, the 20" wheels, and the THX sound system. At first glance, that seems like a lot for a small vehicle like this, but when looking at competitors that don't even offer some of these features, yet still cost thousands more, I think it seems to be a fair price in the marketplace.

Overall/Wrap-up

Overall, I was really impressed with the vehicle. It drove very nicely, had plenty of power even in base form, and looks fantastic. Fit and finish/quality looked great as far as I could see. All the technology and options added to both the experience and pricepoint, but several could be removed without being missed and could lower the price if that were an issue. While it's been a while since I've driven an Escape, this vehicle is worlds better than its' Ford counterpart in every way (as it should be). As the first fully differentiated product from Lincoln, it's setting a great tone for the future of the brand. I think it will be a great seller for Lincoln - it has the pieces to be a very successful vehicle I think, now it just needs some recognition and word of mouth. The Date Night program seems to be a great way to get some people to experience Lincoln's new products, and it was a fun experience that no other manufacturer is doing. I see both helping to contribute to the rebirth of Lincoln over time.

Here is a link to a gallery of pictures and videos I took of my experience with the 2015 MKC - http://s585.photobucket.com/user/rmc523/library/Lincoln%20MKC%20Date%20Night?sort=2&page=1

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the MKC and/or the Date Night program and I'll try my best to answer them!

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 4

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a thorough review. You answered one of my questions which was "What happens when the liftgate is open and you hae to drive around, who will see the brake lights".

I do enjoy those subtle lighting details like the pulsating "on" button, the ambient lighting changing colors when you open a door and such. I think we as a society are expect more tricks with lights and I think Ford is hopefully moving that way...cept when I see a 'dot dot dot LED' arrangement I wonder, "Do they get this though?" Piping is so much better.

I laughed at your statement about not being able to take it around in curbs, I'm from Miami originally which is all grid system as well. I moved up to Orlando where there's curves on everything and anything. Suddenly I'm finding out that my LS has amazing handling taking turns around these damn lakes, (Alligator ponds), and the MKX is good at going over these brick paved streets in some neighborhood as well.

I'm wanting to try out the 2.3L with AWD myself, I'm probably looking at the next MKX but for me it's more of a "I have to" purchase, then rather a "i really want the car purchase" and it shouldnt be that way but Ford doesnt make what I want so I gotta settle. At least with this you settle with style and a smile.

Excellent review, Rmc, thanks a lot (&... Feel like sharing it elsewhere? prettyplease.gif)

just 1 re-emphasis & 1 pet-peave

...It drove very nicely, had plenty of power even in base form...

...All the technology and options added to both the experience and pricepoint, but several could be removed without being missed and could lower the price if that were an issue...

-- Small(er/est) engine with

-- AWD and

-- top Reserve trim = just about worst power/weight ratio for the MKC

YET "had plenty of power"

ie ANY other combo will be stronger

and

it's my impression that Lincoln has perfected "potatochip packaging" with the MKC...

...imho if one doesn't limit himself to base (Premiere no pkgs), the options/trims tho not unreasonably priced, are 'assorted' to always require one-more-step to get the most desirable features...

...imho

(in my case: Espresso/WhiteSands or Hazelnut interior & Adaptive Cruise...

...& [blackLabel] will prolley force me even higher!)

Edited by 2b2

I will when I get home 2b2.

Back in my day, date nights involved girls. :poke:

I dig the idea though. And the fact that you got carte blanche to pretty much do whatever you wanted with the car... within reason, of course.

Push-button shifting... a good idea in your opinion, or a solution to a problem no one had?

Well you can do whatever you want with the car and gift card. Their intention with the gift card is for you to go out to eat but you don't have to....

I forgot to mention that the Date Night people offered to make me reservations at a choice of 3 different local higher-end restaurants, but I opted out of that and just took the gift card to use as I please.

There's also no mileage limit, and you don't have to bring it back filled up (I used about a half a tank). Though if you use more than the original tank they give you, you're responsible for fuel at that point.

Regarding push button shifting, I actually like the idea. It's a little odd at first as you get used to it, but as I mentioned earlier especially in a small vehicle like this, it really clears up some extra storage space in the center console that you otherwise wouldn't have.

^ TY, Rmc!! happy.gif

Back in my day, date nights involved girls. :poke:

Push-button shifting... a good idea in your opinion, or a solution to a problem no one had?

at least RMC didn't hafta take bambinos along on his datenight

(afaik)

when I drove the Z-hybrid, the buttons surprised me by being a total NON-issue.

I'm hoping to drive the C next month

Edited by 2b2

Thanks for the great review RMC,

I'm now wondering MKC - Lexus NX - Audi Q3 - BMW X3 - MB GLA...... buyers really have some great products to

choose from and Lincoln is right in the middle of them and can start to pick up more younger buyers because of it.

Edited by jpd80

Nice write up and comments.

I sat in this vehicle at NADA in January and agree it has no Escape feel to it at all. I've rented several Escapes and keep looking for an MKC to get into and wondering how it feels road wise.

Last week i was in an Escape with AWD and Ecoboost and besides a little turbo lag it jumps. Averaged 20.7 MPG around NJ which isn't bad.

The push button shifter definitely helps clear up center console space-one of the worst things about the Escape is that it has no cubby spots in the console.

I am sure this vehicle will be successful and with all of the premium brands either in this segment or introducing product shortly it will force them to be at their top of the game.

I was down at my Ford/Lincoln dealer for an oil change and rotation on the MKX and they had three.... Ruby Red, Tuxedo Black and Sapphire blue....I checked out the Ruby Red unit and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of room for a smaller SUV it had. One of my peeves is the ginormous center consoles Ford is using these days to create a "cockpit" effect, but it gobbles up so much room. This console was so much less intrusive and I really liked the layout....

Now Lincoln needs to bring out their hybrid version of MKC and really run with it.....

Thanks for the great write up! You inspired me to sign my wife and I up for a date night as well. Hoping for an MKC, since that's what we'd most likely get if we ever moved up to a Lincoln.

It's definitely worth it to me - even if just to experience the vehicle and get a free $100 gift card. Just make sure to share with them that you want the MKC and they should be able to set it up for you (assuming the website hasn't been updated yet).

• Like 1

I know you're thorough on these things because you enjoy it anyway, but thanks for taking the extra time to write up a detailed review. You captured the small things that I think a lot of us are interested in, as well. Also, great gallery in Photobucket.

I'm really pumped now to make the C my next vehicle, even if I have to delay to make it work. I now have zero commute, so my Fusion will last a lot longer and I can probably live with it longer...but it makes it harder to justify a $45=50k vehicle. I also can't shake this desire for a CPO Grand Cherokee Overland. I'm hoping in 2 years or so, there will be nice availability of CPO C's.

Green label?

I actually agree that Lincoln should do a hybrid version of this MKC. The MKZ hybrid has been successful, and a small CUV with even better mileage could boost Lincoln's image and sales further. If possible, I think it should be a no brainer.

I know you're thorough on these things because you enjoy it anyway, but thanks for taking the extra time to write up a detailed review. You captured the small things that I think a lot of us are interested in, as well. Also, great gallery in Photobucket.

I'm really pumped now to make the C my next vehicle, even if I have to delay to make it work. I now have zero commute, so my Fusion will last a lot longer and I can probably live with it longer...but it makes it harder to justify a $45=50k vehicle. I also can't shake this desire for a CPO Grand Cherokee Overland. I'm hoping in 2 years or so, there will be nice availability of CPO C's.

Yeah I do enjoy it, but trust me, it's definitely nice to get feedback/responses on what I write - it makes writing it and putting it together worth it. It took a while to recall and write out my thoughts, as well as get all the pictures I took together, so I appreciate it for sure!

Yeah I understand what you mean - the C does start at $33k but as I eluded to, keep checking those option boxes and the price jumps quickly. I'd venture to say you'll see some good CPO ones coming along - probably some of these Date Night ones as well - I'd have to imagine they'd have some sort of mileage ceiling they'd like to keep them under before swapping them out for a new one and shifting to a new model.... depending of course on how long they keep the program, but it seems like they're gonna keep adding the new models to it.

Thanks again, rmc - I made my MKC Date Night reservation! Picking up Thursday, 8/22, reservations at a nice restaurant in the Annapolis area on Friday, and returning Saturday evening. I'm looking forward to taking it to work Friday, to see how she does on a "typical" commute.

I don't think a Lincoln is in our immediate future...but of all the Lincolns, the MKC is the most likely candidate. I can't wait to try it out!

As I posted on GMI, my Date Night with a Lincoln MKZ hybrid is on Tues, the 22nd of this month. I had a wonderful experience with setting it up, and was very impressed with the level of customer service that I received. So, I am very anxious to try out the vehicle, and plan on reporting on it.

Great job rmc !!!

We just had our MKC 'Date Night' this past weekend . . . I don't have as detailed a review as RMC. I do have one picture, and can say we thoroughly enjoyed the vehicle. It was already at the top of my wife's list for her next vehicle and our night/day event, I believe, cemented her decision.

post-11818-0-84994300-1405953945_thumb.jpg

We just had our MKC 'Date Night' this past weekend . . . I don't have as detailed a review as RMC. I do have one picture, and can say we thoroughly enjoyed the vehicle. It was already at the top of my wife's list for her next vehicle and our night/day event, I believe, cemented her decision.

Yeah, I went a bit overboard with my review haha.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed taking advantage of the program and that you liked the MKC!

• 1 month later...

I returned our Date Night MKC yesterday...and I re-read rmc's review just now to remind myself of his coverage. His was so thorough I don't even need to post anything! :D

I'll add a few comments here and there.

I picked it up Thursday evening straight from the airport (work-related travel). I drove my 2013 C-MAX Hybrid from DCA all the way to Annapolis in rush hour traffic, something I don't normally do - put me in the mood to drive something different! Lincoln of Annapolis (part of Koons Ford) gave us a Smoked Quartz MKC equipped similarly to rmc's (only options missing were the 2.3L engine, 20" wheels, the THX sound system, and the Technology Package - which meant no adaptive cruise control or park assist). The Smoked Quartz color is gorgeous, and looks great in both sunlight and clouds. We had reservations at a nice restaurant in Annapolis Friday night, but my wife's migraine ended that, unfortunately. In fact, she never even got to ride in it! (I think she needs to sign up in her name so she can try it out, too!)

All of rmc's comments above regarding power, comfort, and touch/feel are spot on. The soft leather on the heated steering wheel was simply sublime, and the quality of the seats was a huge leap above anything I've seen in a Ford. I, too, played heavily between the Comfort (D) and Sport (S) settings for handling and throttle response, and I loved both. The Comfort setting reminded me of my old Grand Marquis (maybe not quite that "floaty," but close!) and Sport felt more like my GT500 with the Ford Racing Handling Pack (again, not that extreme, but much tighter than any "normal" car). In traffic or sedate highway cruising, Comfort was the way to go. On the twisty, curvy back roads to work Friday morning, it was Sport all the way.

I'll be honest - if I were buying a new car today, it'd be the MKC with the 2.3L and Tech Package in Smoked Quartz. I was that smitten. In fact, if they offered a Hybrid MKC, I may have traded in the C-MAX on the spot (and risked divorce!).

Thanks again for the great review and inspiration, rmc! :)

IMG_20140821_191636295_HDR_zpsf7dfb771.j

I'll be honest - if I were buying a new car today, it'd be the MKC with the 2.3L and Tech Package in Smoked Quartz. I was that smitten. In fact, if they offered a Hybrid MKC, I may have traded in the C-MAX on the spot (and risked divorce!).

Thanks again for the great review and inspiration, rmc! :)

And don't sell your review short either, I enjoyed reading your views and comparisons with other vehicles.

I guess when it comes to weight, that 4,000 lbs makes the MKC feel like a solid planted vehicle like a GM

but in a different package...

Once again thanks for your review...:)