Secret seventh-generation Taurus gets an engineering pull-through by Ford Australia

^ "refresh"... not CD4+ but maybe enough to do an Aviator??

A little confused on the need for a stretched Edge for China, isn't the Explorer going to be a stretched CD4. Why not sell the Explorer there instead of Edge. Is the stretch for China all for backseat legroom?

afaik, Yes

(btw, I have a euphemism for the reason...)

Nope. It's the Edge, debuting early next year.

the Edge is on the Fusion's 112.2" wlb

so too the next S-Max

but the stretched CD4+ might be used for the Galaxy

Edited by 2b2

I think we need the stretched wheelbases here, have you seen some of the sizes of people around here? Speaking of, is CD4 a bit wider than D3? Or allow for wider seats whereas usually D3 had wide center consoles?

scratching my head as well, I always thought as a nationality, Americans were substantially larger than our Chinese counterparts?/??? someone care to splain?....

^ "refresh"... not CD4+ but maybe enough to do an Aviator.

As I was saying before.....previously I'd have said yes, we could see an Aviator come out alongside a refreshed Explorer, but now I don't think it's likely. That'd be a lot of development money and time spent on a vehicle that would become obsolete in 3 years or whenever the Explorer is to beg illy redesigned. Unless D4 were to continue, which I don't see happening.

As I was saying before.....previously I'd have said yes, we could see an Aviator come out alongside a refreshed Explorer, but now I don't think it's likely. That'd be a lot of development money and time spent on a vehicle that would become obsolete in 3 years or whenever the Explorer is to beg illy redesigned. Unless D4 were to continue, which I don't see happening.

so many scenarios are more-OR-less possible imho/afaik

- China can re-write what'd make sense from a U.S. perspective imho (3 years of 100k+ each Aviator sales for ex.)

- we had heard the next"MKS" would show a concept at NAIAS but more recently had a hint that NAIAS could be something ELSE

- & some of the confusing prognostications make me believe there could be 2 large sedans getting mixed up (one a bit further off)

Edited by 2b2

Yes. Apparently the Chinese like to be chauffeured around and like a bigger back seat.

Is there that many wealthy Chinese that the stretched version will be the norm to be sold there? Or is it that the wealthy will be the only ones buying the cars that are sold there?

I finally found the specs for the 2015 Edge from Ford:

2015 Edge:

WB: 112.2

Length: 188.1

Width (no mirrors) 75.9

The 2015 Edge is 3 inches wider then the Fusion, and about 4 inches longer then the current Edge, but a touch smaller width wise (.1 of an inch difference) and the track is a bit smaller also then the current Edge.

2014 Taurus specs

WB 112.9

Length 202.9 (the longest car/cuv Ford product!)

Width (no mirrors) 76.2

The Fusion is 191 inches long, so I can see the next gen Taurus being about 195 inches, which would mean it could lose about 7 inches overall length.

I can see the next gen Taurus being about 195 inches, which would mean it could lose about 7 inches overall length.

The Taurus has plenty of front overhang it can lose. Still amazes me that the Taurus is longer than the Flex, despite the Flex having a 5" longer wheelbase!

The Taurus has plenty of front overhang it can lose. Still amazes me that the Taurus is longer than the Flex, despite the Flex having a 5" longer wheelbase!

Yeah I know...crazy...I guess part of the reason was to make it look trimmer then it actually is. The 500 was only 200 inches long!

I guess part of the reason was to make it look trimmer then it actually is. The 500 was only 200 inches long!

Yeah - The front structure of the my Flex is blunt and tall - I've always assumed there was some hard-point that they didn't want to move on the 500, and so to make the superman Taurus looks sleeker it ended up with a long beak to meet that point.