Lincoln boss: Two new models coming, *NOT* updated versions of current models

Why would they keep both a Continental and a MKS?

If they want volume then I agree MKFocus would be the best bet but I thought they wanted higher ATPs and bigger profit margins on lower volumes.

300k/year by 2020. The "original" plan that included "4 for 4" called for ~180k a year by 2017. Volume was/is always one of the targets.

That PDF seems to indicate the 2 new models are coming after 2020. That doesn't jive with MKS (Continental) or MKT (Aviator) replacements which are happening before 2020 - 2015 and 2017 respectively, just an educated guess.

For something after 2020, it could be anything... maybe an EV/PHEV based on the new Focus-sized car Ford is developing. Maybe a RWD car based on the next generation Mustang (not the 2015 coming out).

Thats the reason they do it, you don't drive a MK_. You just drive a Lincoln. At least thats the thinking behind it. Lexus legal is probably already in talks with GM over the CT"X" name -- Lexus has a current model called the CT.

That was the reasoning Acura used to drop "Legend" and "Integra." Buyers supposedly knew the model names better than the overall brand name.

Honda phased out the Legend and Integra, with the hope that people would forget about them and focus on Acura. People did forget about Legend and Integra. They also forgot about Acura. The awkward restyling of the TL for 2009 was the final blow. If it weren't for the RDX and MDX, Acura might be out of business today.

Somewhat related, also didn't want to start a new thread, MKZ and MKC are available for pre-orders in China. Prices are about 50% more than U.S. models, if converted directly.

What's interesting, to me, is that EB20 is the only engine choice offered for the Chinese market. No 3.7V6 (understandable), no Hybrid (a mistake, me thinks), and no AWD for MKZ. The reason, EB20 is offered in 4 different tunes, with the most powerful one outputing 253PS/389N.m in the highend MKZ.

http://www.lincoln.com.cn/en/cars-mkz-specification

http://www.lincoln.com.cn/en/suvs-mkc-specification

Somewhat related, also didn't want to start a new thread, MKZ and MKC are available for pre-orders in China. Prices are about 50% more than U.S. models, if converted directly.

What's interesting, to me, is that EB20 is the only engine choice offered for the Chinese market. No 3.7V6 (understandable), no Hybrid (a mistake, me thinks), and no AWD for MKZ. The reason, EB20 is offered in 4 different tunes, with the most powerful one outputing 253PS/389N.m in the highend MKZ.

http://www.lincoln.com.cn/en/cars-mkz-specification

http://www.lincoln.com.cn/en/suvs-mkc-specification

I'm not sure if it's the reason, but I believe they have displacement taxes over there which cause larger engines to get more expensive, so companies try to limit their engine offerings to a certain displacement in particular vehicles. I may be wrong though.

I'm not sure if it's the reason, but I believe they have displacement taxes over there which cause larger engines to get more expensive, so companies try to limit their engine offerings to a certain displacement in particular vehicles. I may be wrong though.

It is, and also China has a punitive tariff on US-made cars with engine size over 3.0 liter, a retaliation for our Chinese tire tariff.

No, I got ya. I know very well the small(er) displacement requirements. "reason" may be a bad choice of word, should have said "enabler".

So, I was thinking about how there are both rumors of a RWD sedan and the return of the continental name. There were also some wondering if Ford would build upon the new Mustang platform as well for a new Lincoln. I'm not going to claim to know anything, or even know anything about particular platforms and what could be done. However, could it be possible that the Continental will be based on the Mustang, and have rear suicide doors (think of the Mazda RX-8). Not sure if this is at all possible with the Mustang platform without major work, but was something that popped into my head.

If someone else has suggested this as well, I'm sorry if I missed it.

Of course, I am not a car guy at all, so I could be 100% off base with my idea lol.

Yeah, i'm not sure about feasibility either, but would be a great touch if possible to make the second row more accessible for the luxury version of a Mustang. Like I said, thinking of the RX-8, the rear suicide doors on that are relatively small, but allow for full cabin access to the rear. Though, that said, and thinking about it, with no metal between the front and rear, it is probably not possible at all without building a new platform/major work to the Mustang...so gonna go with not feasible now.

Was just an idea throwing all 3 rumors together. It was fun while it lasted :) lol.