Ford pulls out of "V8 Supercar" series down under.

What happens when you refuse to advertise a main product for more than four years

Of course buyers will move on if you give them no reason to stay.

Ford is simply tired of the complexity of manufacturing locally and wants a simpler business plan,

that doesn't mean any of this will see increases in sales either..

You mean two doors are not even allowed to compete? I always hated the look of a 4 door racecar and I thought it was because that was all that was available...but they CHOSE to run 4 doors? Aussie's are a strange lot. Of course running a serious race with camping trailers on your car...not even as a joke...that's strange too.

You mean two doors are not even allowed to compete? I always hated the look of a 4 door racecar and I thought it was because that was all that was available...but they CHOSE to run 4 doors? Aussie's are a strange lot. Of course running a serious race with camping trailers on your car...not even as a joke...that's strange too.

What?

I didn't even know 4-door racing was a thing :hysterical:

For years we were told that Aussies were "fiercely loyal" to RWD sedans, and that if they were imported here, they'd sell like hotcakes. But reality is the market was tax subsidized, and most were fleet cars. Heard that "only Bogans* like them".

Sure, enthusiasts want "pure RWD", but they usually buy used, and German lux brands are selling more SUV's and all wheel drive sedans. So that 'loyal' market is a wash. The Pontiac G8 didnt sell enough to make a profit, and used ones don't pay GM's rent. So Ford avoided huge losses trying to be "pure" and kept Falcon down under, and it's soon to be '6 feet under'.

* AUS for rednecks

While the immediate cause of this is the end of production in Ausrltralia, i beleive this was destined as soon as the series started allowing FWD bodies on custom chassis. The further Supercars go down the NASCAR road the less appealing it is, Ford has after all threatened to leave NASCAR itself more than once recently.

While the immediate cause of this is the end of production in Ausrltralia, i beleive this was destined as soon as the series started allowing FWD bodies on custom chassis. The further Supercars go down the NASCAR road the less appealing it is,

10-4 that. The shark has been jumped. Time to go, end of production. Let Lexus get involved.

Meanwhile, Ford has the Mustang to promote world wide in all the various competition classes it can compete in considering turbo 4 turbo 6 and flat-crank V-8 engines exist.

Plus, world-wide, the RS Focus.

The point is, there's lots of potential replacement. :)

Umm.....Fusion, Charger, Camry, SS - all 4 door vehicles in NASCAR.

Europeans (and Aussies) have been racing saloons for a long time. They're typically called Touring cars.

Really...... REALLY????? You're gonna use NASCAR in a discussion about race cars?

There's so much wrong about that it's not even funny! The "STOCK Car" part of nascar is a JOKE

And half the vehicles you just listed aren't even REAL RACE CARS.

Nobody buys a Fusion or a Camry to hit the track on Sundays.

Get outta here with that FWD garbage

Edited by probowler

Overreact much? That was part sarcasm, but it is true that NASCAR vehicles are somewhat based on 4 door passenger cars whether it's real racing or not. And Touring cars with 4 doors have been racing in Europe for a long time.

Just because it doesn't fit your extremely tiny U.S. only version of what is racing doesn't mean it isn't.

"Yup sonny, way back in '14 when I was a punk like you, we'd cruise around in the camry looking for others to race...went up against a lot of hot cars at the time, elantras, sportages, one guy even had this fusion that was a terror around our town...."

"yup, them were the days, boiling the front hides at every stoplight, doing reverse donuts in the parking lots...we were pretty badass back then..."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, fwd crap is what real racecars are made of! BWAHAHAHA! Better not forget all the hot minivans too!

• Like 1

Hmmm . . . wonder if this might be a ruse by FMC, that indeed they are leaving the "old" V8 Supercars Series, but V8 Supercars is rebranding . . . http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/v8-supercars-unveils-new-brand-identity-for-gen2-supercars-strategy

Just a thought . . . can't see Penske making an investment for one season in the series unless FMC was planning on staying in the series, but stranger things have happened in motorsports.

"Yup sonny, way back in '14 when I was a punk like you, we'd cruise around in the camry looking for others to race...went up against a lot of hot cars at the time, elantras, sportages, one guy even had this fusion that was a terror around our town...."

"yup, them were the days, boiling the front hides at every stoplight, doing reverse donuts in the parking lots...we were pretty badass back then..."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, fwd crap is what real racecars are made of! BWAHAHAHA! Better not forget all the hot minivans too!

Nobody said anything about FWD, only the number of doors. And a 4 door M5 will outperform most similarly priced 2 doors.

I hope this series continues to thrive. While I still follow NASCAR, I preferred the days when the cars were truly built off stock platforms like the V8 Supercars. I guess that is one of the reasons I love this race series. The closest you can get to this series these days in the USA are the various classes in SCCA racing as well as series like the Continental Tire Sports Car Championship and the SCCA World Challenge. V8 Supercars is much more challenging though in my opinion.

• Like 1