Jalopnik Posted the Continental Concept

Thank goodness they are dropping the nondescript and generic MKS model letters. The best car Ford builds should be called a Lincoln Continental. Now work on giving the rest of your line real names and identities when you replace the models. Using alpha-numeric naming schemes just because other luxury brands do it is a mistake. Lincoln will never get anywhere just copying.

So they going to bring back the Zephyr name for the MKZ? :p

So they going to bring back the Zephyr name for the MKZ? :p

If they kept the trademark on "Premier", that would be a good name for the MKZ. I've heard "Zefire" through the years from people's lips as much as "Zephyr". The lack of marketing the car didn't help with bringing back a name that hadn't been spoken in America since the days of art deco. Capri could be the name of a Mustang based Lincoln if one ever happens. The Mercury versions are mostly forgotten in the USA. The prowess of the original Lincon models could be alluded to in ads and brochures.

If they kept the trademark on "Premier", that would be a good name for the MKZ. I've heard "Zefire" through the years from people's lips as much as "Zephyr". The lack of marketing the car didn't help with bringing back a name that hadn't been spoken in America since the days of art deco. Capri could be the name of a Mustang based Lincoln if one ever happens. The Mercury versions are mostly forgotten in the USA. The prowess of the original Lincon models could be alluded to in ads and brochures.

For some reason when I think of Premier I always think of Eagle Premier. The car that was supposed to be a Renault Premier until Chrysler bought out AMC and got that oddball in the deal.

They could rename the MKZ the Versailles. Then again... Bad idea! I'm guessing more people mispronounced Versailles then they did Zephyr. :)

The more I look at it, the more I like it. To echo what has already been stated, I hope they don't screw up the production version.

The color is really nice. The interior color is beautiful.

One thing that probably won't make production is the 4-seat configuration. It looks amazing and very comfortable, but it's harder to sell a 4-seat full-size car than a 5-seat version. Perhaps the 4-seat configuration will be available as an option.

Here's an interesting article about how the designers became more inspired when they applied the Continental name to the project.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/30/how-the-lincoln-continental-concept-almost-wasnt/

I'm seeing a number of comments on the web praising bringing back the Continental name. I think people are tired of cars identified with numbers/letters.

Edited by LincolnV

Didn't Zephyr to MkZ happen sooner than they originally said? If memory serves anyway.

2006 was the only year it was called that, 2007 had a new grill and the MKZ name.

I was just looking at the Wiki entry on it and man that dash is just awful looking on the Zephyr

Dayum......

Bentley Designer Calls Out Lincoln Continental In Brutal Facebook Diss

Do you want us to send the product tooling? That’s what Bentley designer Luc Donckerwolke posted on Lincoln designer David Woodhouse’s Facebook page, a comment that was swiftly deleted but captured by the excellent Car Design News. Let me tell you, Bentley went off on Lincoln.

Donckerwolke also posted on his own Facebook calling out the 2016 Lincoln Continental as a ripoff. “I would have called it a Flying Spur concept and kept the four round lights.” Another designer commented “I thought this was only done in China? Finally a ‘Bentley for the masses’ though...”

From the comments:

w6ko58gv6bqycr5c7dbm.jpg

uniedzjhzobzhgptbeoo.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious

Dayum......

Bentley Designer Calls Out Lincoln Continental In Brutal Facebook Diss

From the comments:

w6ko58gv6bqycr5c7dbm.jpg

uniedzjhzobzhgptbeoo.jpg

If Bentley wants to play rough, they'll have to find a new name for their sedan maybe? Yes, there are some similar lines or queues, but I can see present model Taurus and other things in there too. There are just so many ways to massage away on a 4-door sedan of similar size.

Edited by traxiii

I love the car. I agree with the others that say the weakest thing is the bumb up in the middle of the grill bottom. I did think Kia when I saw it ( or 1/2 Kia anyway). Love the chrome applique with Continental written in it on the side. Absolutely love the chrome on the interior but doubt it will stay for production ( visibility of the buttons).

Definitely think this is a platform mate with the CD4 Taurus and therefore fwd/awd not RWD, maybe the next one.

Finally I am not buying the whole designers didn't know where to go with this until the name change to Continental. Really, these guys are professional designers working on a clean sheet design for a struggling division. Mark Feilds: "We need to replace the MKS and it need to help move Lincoln forward and increase market share". Designers: "OK Mark here is some more boring designs because we don't know what direction to go to design a Lincoln even though it is our job". Mark: "We decided to change the name and call it a Continental". Only the most famous Lincoln of all time and known for its design, no way a new MKS could look like that. Designers: " Duh! now we know what to do." OK right and if you believe that story I have a bridge to sell you!

Do you want us to send the product tooling? That’s what Bentley designer Luc Donckerwolke posted on Lincoln designer David Woodhouse’s Facebook page, a comment that was swiftly deleted but captured by the excellent Car Design News. Let me tell you, Bentley went off on Lincoln.

A part of me appreciates that the Lincoln boys appear to have taken the high road. A part of me, however, would love to have seen Mr Woodhouse respond:

David Woodhouse:

Do you want us to send you some spare nameplates?

Lincoln-Continental-1986-emblem.jpg

43589-BURN-kelso-ohSg.jpeg

• Like 1

It will be very interesting to see how much this design influences the rest of the Lincoln line as the reskins hit the schedule.

The grill, for example. Imagine the next Navi with a version of this grill. I think that could be very good looking. Likewise the Aviator.

More interesting is how this design could influence the next MKZ. If the MKZ adheres to these themes, it might look somewhat like a Jaguar, which would be just fine, since everyone sees an Aston in the Fusion. These design themes would look fantastic on a car the size of the MKZ - not aping each bend, but using the themes on a smaller canvas. I can't wait to see what they will do going forward!

• Like 1

I will be interested also to see if some of the details of this car spread to the rest of the line up. . I would love to see the chrome around the bottom of the car used on other cars in is very sharp. . As for the grill, if the repeating star is going to be used it could be used in any shape grill. This would create the family look without restricting designers with a pre-determined shape. I also would like to see the chrome side applique with the model name in it on all Lincolns.