New Galaxy bows in Geneva

They are identical. Edge, S-Max, Galaxy are the same vehicles just with different exterior.

Escape and C-Max also have the same interior. They even share the same greenhouse and door panel.

Using a different interior just to be different is silly.

I agree. There is a lot of developmental cost in things like dashboards, instrumentation, switches and controls, audio and HVAC systems. When all the vehicles are going to have the same features why not spread the cost out over multiple vehicles? They would design all interiors to have a uniform design theme between multiple models so just use one design that will fit across multiple models. These vehicles are more like appliances anyway. The person that drives a Focus couldn't care less if the same dash was in an Escape. If you buy both a Focus and an Escape and have to complain that the dashes are the same then you just need to get rid of one or the other and buy a different brand vehicle.

This is nothing like buying a Lincoln and finding the dash of a Ford inside. Nor is Ford doing anything absurd like putting a Flex dash in a Mustang.

Edited by StangBang

Different as in a different look. All the hard points behind the dash can be the same, just make some of the panels, vents, etc. look a little different from model to model. When you see a picture of an interior of a car, you should be able to identify which car it is, not confuse it with 4 or more cars & CUV's. Look at the current Expedition & Navigator. The dashes look completely different, but use the exact same hardware underneath. The should do the same for the Fusion, Edge, Galaxy, S-Max, etc.

• Like 1

Have you looked at BMW interiors?

I actually prefer having the same dash - it's easier to find everything.

You aren't getting what he is saying. Same basic layout with minor differences to distinguish them. You know, the same way that the Focus and Fusion are similar, but are differentiated. He's not asking them to switch the stereo's volume and tuning knobs to the opposite side.

• Like 1

You aren't getting what he is saying. Same basic layout with minor differences to distinguish them. You know, the same way that the Focus and Fusion are similar, but are differentiated. He's not asking them to switch the stereo's volume and tuning knobs to the opposite side.

Exactly!

In that case... 2 different sources are still talking about Explorer alligning itself higher in the marketplace in the next generation as it moves to a different platform that will underpin both Explorer and Aviator.

Like I said months ago (and was railed for on here), a 7 seat Edge would fit nicely in the arena where currently base and XLT Explorers play. I'm not sure it will come here with the Edge name, as I think the current NA Edge has a great reputation as a semi-luxury 5 seater, but I could see it coming nonetheless.

Edge +?

Edge EL (fits with Expedition naming scheme)?

---

That said, I don't see a need for the 7-passenger Edge here. I think it steps on the Explorer's toes too much. Galaxy as a Flex replacement? Perhaps, given it has a different shape/design so it can fit in that "different" category. But 7-passenger Edge.....keep it China only, IMO.

Edge +?

Edge EL (fits with Expedition naming scheme)?

---

That said, I don't see a need for the 7-passenger Edge here. I think it steps on the Explorer's toes too much. Galaxy as a Flex replacement? Perhaps, given it has a different shape/design so it can fit in that "different" category. But 7-passenger Edge.....keep it China only, IMO.

I agree, and that's what I was getting at earlier. However if a 7 passenger Edge does make it here, it should definitely NOT be called Edge+. This isn't Apple.

I agree, and that's what I was getting at earlier. However if a 7 passenger Edge does make it here, it should definitely NOT be called Edge+. This isn't Apple.

It would likely be Edge EL. Or maybe just plain Edge (with 5 and 7 passenger versions).

Hyundai went the route of having their 5 seater be the Santa Fe Sport, while the 7 seater is the Santa Fe. Obviously that doesn't work for Ford given how they have the Edge Sport as the performance model. Hyundai, of course, doesn't have an "Explorer" above the Santa Fe to overlap with though, so that approach makes more sense for them than it does for Ford.

Edited by rmc523

I see no reason for a seven passenger Edge. It really goes against the more sporty personality of the vehicle and overlaps with Explorer to much. I also have trouble believing Ford is moving Explorer up market as that would be where a Lincoln version would go.

I see no reason for a seven passenger Edge. It really goes against the more sporty personality of the vehicle and overlaps with Explorer to much. I also have trouble believing Ford is moving Explorer up market as that would be where a Lincoln version would go.

Nobody said Explorer is going that far upmarket, just going to RWD with more SUV capability. On the lower end I wouldn't expect much of a price increase and the Aviator will cover the Lincoln price range with more luxury features.

Think Grand Cherokee. If they make it more rugged then there would be room for a softer 3 row CUV.

A 3 row CUV between Edge and Explorer to replace the Flex would be okay, and it can be based on the Edge, just don't call it an Edge Max (or Edge EL or Edge Gordo or whatever). It should either get a new name or it can be called Flex (maybe bring back Freestyle?), but it should not look like that 7 passenger Chinese Edge.

What Ford really needs to round out it's US lineup is a true minivan (not a Transit Connect or even the Galaxy) to compete with FCA, Toyota & Honda. A person wanting a Sienna or Odyssey type minivan (as weird as that may sound) will not accept a 7 passenger, 3 row CUV/SUV as an equivalent. A person needing a minivan, but not wanting one (like my wife) might accept one, but there are fewer people like that than you think. Plus, minivans are not cheap, the ATP on them hit a record last year over $32K. I think Ford could play in this segment and make money while not having to sell the most to do so.

The market for a 3 row CUV in between a 2 row Edge and a 3 row Explorer is too small to warrant a different tophat. It's 3 row Edge or nothing at this point I think. They don't NEED it but if they already have it for China then it would be easy to bring it here.

• Like 1

A 3 row CUV between Edge and Explorer to replace the Flex would be okay, and it can be based on the Edge, just don't call it an Edge Max (or Edge EL or Edge Gordo or whatever). It should either get a new name or it can be called Flex (maybe bring back Freestyle?), but it should not look like that 7 passenger Chinese Edge.

What Ford really needs to round out it's US lineup is a true minivan (not a Transit Connect or even the Galaxy) to compete with FCA, Toyota & Honda. A person wanting a Sienna or Odyssey type minivan (as weird as that may sound) will not accept a 7 passenger, 3 row CUV/SUV as an equivalent. A person needing a minivan, but not wanting one (like my wife) might accept one, but there are fewer people like that than you think. Plus, minivans are not cheap, the ATP on them hit a record last year over $32K. I think Ford could play in this segment and make money while not having to sell the most to do so.

The problem with building a true minivan is that you have to 'out minivan' the current leaders to make any headway at all in sales. You have to build something better than each of the competitors to earn their customers' business. To do that is extremely expensive for the limited number of sales that are available in the minivan field. I think the best thing for Ford in this case is the Transit Connect or Galaxy, something they already have (mostly) available. It brings in a few niche sales without the need to completely engineer a groundbreaking new vehicle from the ground up.

And lets face it, those wanting an Odyssey or Sienna aren't going to give Ford a second look. They want an Odyssey or Sienna (or Caravan/T&C) because their friend has one and it is awesome!

MKX clearly continues as a 2-row Utility, of more interest what replaces MKT as the next tier 3-row Utility.

Do we see a return of an Explorer based Aviator or is new era alloy body Navigator and Navigator EL

sufficient to cover all bases?

If Aviator goes Range Rover level MKX-EL may make more sense than a seperate MkExplorer

Whatever happens, I think we both agre that Lincoln needs an entry 3-row Utility at the $46-50K zone.

The Lincoln dealers have said as much , the MKT is not selling well in retail or fleet and needs to go away