Ford Transit Custom coming to the US?

It's not nearly that simple. You can detect an object ahead but I don't see how you can reliably determine the height from the roadway to the bridge at different angles and at different speeds. Especially if it's at the bottom of a hill.

It's not nearly that simple. You can detect an object ahead but I don't see how you can reliably determine the height from the roadway to the bridge at different angles and at different speeds. Especially if it's at the bottom of a hill.

And alert the driver in time to stop since they would likely be going 60 MPH or more.

How about this crazy idea:

Know the height of your vehicle?

And if you have a fleet, prominently post the height of the vehicle on the dashboard of the vehicle.

Now that would entail some degree of personal responsibility and we just can't have that......

• Like 3

Richard...in that case, backup like you used to and deal with the kids as a speed bump, and save on college expenses!..., take your foot off the throttle when following someone and closing in, ditch Nav, get a Thomas guide or get nagged from the passenger seat , screw Bluetooth, stop and jump into a phone booth and realize its to make a call, not become a super hero, CD, lets go back to 8 track...massaging seats?...that's just putting parlors and happier endings out of business....How hard would it be to have a roof mounted sensor, with maybe a red horizontal laser line that either beeps a warning or GASP has brake assistance......I know why, fords supporting Dealership Body Shops.

Edited by Deanh

Know what the difference is, Dean?

THIS

vinyl-decal-sticker-7480.jpg

CLEARANCES ARE CLEARLY MARKED.

If you are too stupid to pay attention to ACTUAL SIGNS ON THE ROAD, then you should not be driving period.

We're not talking about stuff you CAN'T SEE like little kids playing behind the car, or cars coming up in your blind spots or the exact location of your front and rear bumpers.

We're talking about POSTED HEIGHT LIMITS THAT ARE EVERYWHERE.

If you are literally too dumb to compare the printed vehicle height on the dashboard of your vehicle with the POSTED height restrictions on CLEARLY VISIBLE SIGNAGE, then, again, you are honestly too incompetent to be in charge of your own feet let alone a 5,000+ pound vehicle.

Am I exaggerating a bit?

Perhaps.

But the point remains. Height restrictions are not like blind spots. They are clearly posted and EASILY avoided.

I can agree with that Rich, Im talking about brain farts driving into parking structures at probably 10 mph or less...at highway speeds you are on your own...and btm line...people are stupid when it comes to driving...a height sensor IMO is a much a viable "nannie" as side/ rear cameras, backup and front sensors....and PS, Ive yet to see a height sticker FROM Ford on the dash of a Transit....uh oh...LAWSUIT....and along the same lines, sensors on Pickups heights wouldn't hurt either...especially those that get lifted...or maybe a placeable sensor for ladder racks etc....

Ford's not going to put a height sticker on the dashboard because they're not going to pay for damage.

Fleet owners should have those stickers prominently placed, and personal vehicle owners should educate themselves.

I have no sympathy for something as easy to avoid as a height restriction.

Signs can be off if roads get repaved and signs not changed, but if you are that tight...

A relative had his month old conversion van sardine canned in a parking garage where the height indicated for the one beam he found was way off.

Signs can be off if roads get repaved and signs not changed, but if you are that tight...

A relative had his month old conversion van sardine canned in a parking garage where the height indicated for the one beam he found was way off.

And if that's the case, you get out your tape measure and let the insurance company know about it.

From my hometown:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/another-truck-crashes-into-problematic-pierre-bridge/article_70aecb4e-b5ea-581d-ade5-ebc2277317c6.html

The bridge's clearance height is marked. One city official has suggested adding a sign saying, "Bridge 29, Trucks 0," Weiss said.

Ford's not going to put a height sticker on the dashboard because they're not going to pay for damage.

Fleet owners should have those stickers prominently placed, and personal vehicle owners should educate themselves.

I have no sympathy for something as easy to avoid as a height restriction.

We do this with our vans. We have ladder racks on top and when we go downtown we have to be careful of which parking garage we choose for this exact reason.

I swear I see a semi once month with a new haircut. Pretty ridiculous for someone who drives for a living.

And if that's the case, you get out your tape measure and let the insurance company know about it.

From my hometown:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/another-truck-crashes-into-problematic-pierre-bridge/article_70aecb4e-b5ea-581d-ade5-ebc2277317c6.html

Wonder if your hometown should try raising the bridge structure?

Around here ODOT is literally raising the bridges up 2-3' on the state highways when they do seismic reinforcement. It's pretty neat to see. Solves the height problem without an all new bridge.

The bridge is part of an extended run up from the flood plain to this bridge:

sd_pierre_dme_04.jpg

Raising this bridge the over 5' required to bring it up to interstate crossing standards would impact a major section of town. Two nearby grade crossings would be horsed up, and I'm not sure what the effect of raising the track bed would be on the width of the track bed at its base, and the subsequent impact on nearby structures.

Take a tour of the vicinity and see why they haven't raised the bridge...

https://goo.gl/maps/d9U39

Especially since, even if you ignore the out-of-town height warnings and miss the truck bypass, you can still avoid this bridge by a grade crossing either two blocks east or west.

Edited by RichardJensen

I don't know if U-Haul still does this, but they used to put height stickers on the box of the van in reversed lettering so it would be visible in the side mirrors:

http://jennytso.com/wp-content/uploads/uhaul-van-sizes-i3.jpg

i think it depends on the size you rent. I got one of the mid-sized ones when my wife and I moved in together, and it had one, but the the small one that was a step above van I got when I moved home from college didn't

Oh you were thinking of high speed, I was thinking of Low speed <15mph, entering parking garages etc. Low speed you could do with a single camera, and while it wouldn't be perfect you just want to alert the driver that there is low clearance and they should pay attention. High speed you would need 2 cameras, and 3 radar units to accomplish it which is way more expensive.

Edited by jasonj80

I don't see why Ford shouldn't offer this van to be sold here if it is the Transit Custom as the article says. However, Ford would really have to do good marketing to explain what all the different Transit vans are in terms of the names. A few months ago back around January or so, I went to my local Ford dealership to check out the Transit but they hadn't gotten them yet at the time. I am legally blind so can't drive but still love Ford cars and the dealership know me as an enthusiast and even know me by name. They just let me be looking around at cars since they know I won't be buying. Well that few months ago I asked around the place regarding the Transit and when they would receive them. All sales reps kept thinking I was talking about the Transit Connect and pointed me to the mini van. I just shook my head. I even had one rep seemingly shocked when I told him that the Transit had replaced the Econoline van/wagon as if he didn't even know that Ford had stopped making Econolines! If the dealers today still can't figure out the difference between the two Transits, then how are they going to sell THREE Transits? But that was January and now on their website and FB page, they are marketing the two separate vans with pictures and videos. I like how they even made one video where they parked the full-size Transit and mini Transit Connect side by side and had the rep speak about the two vans. I like to think that perhaps my experience there woke them all up regarding this which prompted them to make this video for their customers. lol

Anyhow, the Transit Custom would be great to slot in between the current two Transits. With this being front drive, would make a great competitor for the RAM Promaster. The article in the first post of this thread had a reader comment at the end of the article saying that the Transit Custom is already sold in Mexico. So to me it seems like Ford is just testing it out here and if satisfied with the results, would simply expand the Mexican plant to build them for here. Remember that announcement of a huge investment of the Mexican plants a few weeks ago but not much details? They were engines but the articles announced that few weeks ago kept mentioning small diesel engines. Well perhaps it is for the Transit Custom? Don't want to start any rumors or anything but this is interesting theory here. Then again, it could just be something in particular that Ford is testing that they plan to offer in other vehicles but that only the Transit Custom offers at the time. A testing mule of sorts for an engine, transmission, technical device, etc. Who knows?

Tiny - Transit Courier (Fiesta platform)

Small - Transit Connect (Focus platform)

Medium - Transit Custom (FWD)

Large - Transit (FWD/RWD/AWD)

In Europe, the passenger version is call Tourneo (+Courier/Connect/Custom, depending on size) but in the US, both passenger and cargo version use the Transit name.

Got it? :headspin:

Thanks so much for the quick and easy list of Transits to remember. I had wondered about the Tourneo and thought it was a type of separate Transit van. Never realized that it was just a passenger version in Europe. So pretty much, the Tourneo is to Transit what the Club Wagon was to Econoline in terms of passenger wagon at one time. Before, of course, Ford merged the Club Wagon and Econoline into just E-Series.

I have not seem one in person, but that 3 person second row seating just will not cut it with my family ! They have ridden around in Chateau Club Wagons for the past 25+ years and really like those quad captain's chairs !

The Transit Wagon needs a Chateau trim package !!

Yes the Transit Wagon does need a Chateau trim. Maybe even a 4-row upgrade version with six captain's chairs and 4th-row bench as well? :) I even think Ford should partner with a known national conversion van company and offer factory direct conversion van option like was once done back in the 80s and 90s.

Yes the Transit Wagon does need a Chateau trim. Maybe even a 4-row upgrade version with six captain's chairs and 4th-row bench as well? :) I even think Ford should partner with a known national conversion van company and offer factory direct conversion van option like was once done back in the 80s and 90s.

Is there a known national conversion van company any more? I don't remember if I've seen a conversion van that was made in the last 10 years.

That doesn't stop it, it only passes liability to the employee. CYA paperwork.

But the liability BELONGS with the driver of the vehicle, period, provided they are given the proper height information to begin with. If your driver can't read a sign and determine whether the height of the upcoming bridge is more or less than the height of the truck they're driving, then they should not be driving.

• Like 1