Ford Transit Custom coming to the US?

rich, so the concrete low hanging roof of a parking structure isn't considered an obstruction....lol....

Not if it's above a certain height.

Parking sensors don't need to discriminate among the heights of obstructions, but your putative height sensors would. That's the huge gigantic expensive difference.

Look. If it were as simple as wiring parking sensors to a roof, do you think that at least *one* company would've come up with an aftermarket solution by now?

maybe, just maybe ( although probably doubtful ) it hasn't been thought of...bet sooner or later it happens...seriously, it would be a boon for commercial vans with ladder racks etc, if of course it wasn't too expensive...

Backup sensors are radar. And the problem is that you only want to register obstacles that are a below a fixed height. This requires a much more sophisticated set of receivers than the sensors used elsewhere which simply respond to any bounced signal above a certain threshold.

?

My Flex backup sensors don't beep unless something is within its range, and then the frequency of the beeping changes with distance until it reaches a solid tone at around 6".

Why wouldn't they work for a garage? (With a shorter range)

?

My Flex backup sensors don't beep unless something is within its range, and then the frequency of the beeping changes with distance until it reaches a solid tone at around 6".

Why wouldn't they work for a garage? (With a shorter range)

Parking sensors will register obstacles that are *above* the sensor. Over-height sensors that exhibit the same behavior would yield useless false positives.

There must be something like a GPS with height and width restrictions on the market, as over the years I have used motor carrier road atlases that have had that info both marked on maps and in tabular form.

• Like 1

back to Topic

the Trasnit Custom arrived in Europe in 2013 and was International Van of the Year winner for 2013.

The custom is due for a MCE.

The transit custom was just introduced in china, powered by the EcoBoost 2.0, will go on sale there next year.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fap/cn/en/news/2015/04/20/New-Ford-Tourneo-Previews-at-Auto-China.html

2015-4-20 | Shanghai, China New Ford Tourneo Previews Refined Versatility for China’s Premium MPV Segment
  • New Tourneo builds on global design and engineering with exclusive new features for the discerning Chinese MPV customer, will arrive in China in 2016
  • Design builds on streamlined, European Tourneo with premium enhancements, more refined materials
  • Advanced new air suspension developed for the Chinese customer offers exceptional ride without sacrificing Ford driving dynamics
  • 2.0-liter twin-scroll EcoBoost engine offers refinement and power of a traditional 3.5-liter V6 with high efficiency and low emissions

Ford has offered a preview of a new Ford Tourneo for China’s premium MPV market at Auto Shanghai 2015. Ford engineers in Europe worked closely with their counterparts at Jiangling Motors Co., one of Ford’s investments in China, to make the most of Ford’s global product development expertise. When it arrives in China in 2016, the seven-seat Tourneo will boast an updated dynamic design and features specifically tailored to the needs of Chinese customers.

“In Europe and around the world, the Tourneo has a very broad appeal among customers looking for a spacious, versatile and streamlined MPV,” said John Lawler, chairman and CEO, Ford China. “Thanks to the flexibility of the One Ford plan, we are building on the versatility and dependability of the European Tourneo to create a unique Tourneo for China.”

Reflecting the needs of an increasingly sophisticated Chinese market, where premium MPVs are frequently used for transporting business passengers, Ford is emphasizing a more premium experience to ensure the Tourneo offers all occupants a refined and comfortable cabin environment.

The exterior of the Tourneo shares the same dynamic character as the European Tourneo and Ford’s passenger cars, with One Ford design language that generates a strong sense of movement even when the vehicle is standing still. Unique headlights, modified for China, feature signature LED daytime running lights and flank a bold trapezoidal grille trimmed with chrome for an elegant presence. Ford has also applied chrome inserts around the lower front fascia, linking new rectangular fog lights together.

In profile, a strong and muscular shoulder line extends toward the rear of the vehicle. Prominent wheel arches and window lines with a distinctive kick at the rear give the Tourneo its unique character. Uniquely for China, a blacked out B-pillar creates a continuous, flowing window shape along the side of the vehicle, and a new sliding door track mounted flush to the body side of the vehicle gives a more refined appearance. A new side step with a metal finish and rubber inserts makes entering and exiting the vehicle easier for rear seat passengers.

At the rear, modern, vertical tail lights with LED signature lights sit on either side of a redesigned tailgate. A horizontal chrome applique spanning the tailgate’s width draws attention and presents a unified, harmonious theme together with the chrome highlights on the front and side of the vehicle. A rear roof spoiler softens the rear view of the vehicle and completes the handsome exterior.

The interior has been redesigned specifically for the Chinese customer with more convenience features and upgraded materials. With plenty of room to seat seven occupants comfortably, the cabin is made to feel even more spacious thanks to a high roof-line and a sunroof located over the second-row captain’s chairs.

“We wanted to take the Tourneo from Europe, which already stands apart from its competition with an advanced, streamlined appearance, and make it even more special for business customers in China,” said Chris Hamilton, chief designer for the new Tourneo. “Both outside and inside, we created a vehicle that is both hugely versatile and unmistakably premium, with new useful features, refined details and modern materials.”

In response to consumer and market research, Ford has developed a new rear air suspension system for the Tourneo in China. Thanks to its advanced suspension, the new Tourneo will offer a significantly smoother ride for all occupants, while maintaining the driving dynamics and easy-to-drive character that customers appreciate across Ford’s vehicle line-up.

A stiff structure and extensive engineering to reduce noise, vibration and harshness will ensure a quiet cabin environment, letting the driver and passengers speak without raising their voices.

Refinement will be further enhanced by the addition of Ford’s 2.0-liter twin-scroll EcoBoost engine, which Ford will make available on the Tourneo exclusively in China. Offering more power than a conventional 3.5-liter V6 engine, the advanced direct-injection turbocharged engine is designed to provide smooth and refined power delivery with high efficiency and low emissions.

“The Ford Tourneo will be a compelling new choice in the premium MPV segment in China when it reaches the market next year,” said Lawler. “By listening closely to the market, we will deliver a vehicle with the refinement and premium experience that Chinese consumers want, and the versatility and dependability that they need.”

back to Topic

the Trasnit Custom arrived in Europe in 2013 and was International Van of the Year winner for 2013.

The custom is due for a MCE.

The transit custom was just introduced in china, powered by the EcoBoost 2.0, will go on sale there next year.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fap/cn/en/news/2015/04/20/New-Ford-Tourneo-Previews-at-Auto-China.html

Current Transit Custom, Chinese Spec, and the Spy photo from first page. Compare and contrast... and draw your own conclusions. I'm not discounting the possibility of mid cycle update but it is really early for it by historical standards... Previous Transit didn't receive mid cycle updates after 3 model years.

It could be mid cycle update or maybe just the pre-production Chinese spec, or perhaps a attribute mule for the US market. Who knows.

800px-Ford_Transit_Custom_Kombi_2.2_TDCi

cq5dam.web.1024.768.jpeg

ford-transit-custom-van-spy-620x405.jpeg

Edited by bzcat

Current Transit Custom, Chinese Spec, and the Spy photo from first page. Compare and contrast... and draw your own conclusions. I'm not discounting the possibility of mid cycle update but it is really early for it by historical standards... Previous Transit didn't receive mid cycle updates after 3 model years.

It could be mid cycle update or maybe just the pre-production Chinese spec, or perhaps a attribute mule for the US market. Who knows.

800px-Ford_Transit_Custom_Kombi_2.2_TDCi

cq5dam.web.1024.768.jpeg

ford-transit-custom-van-spy-620x405.jpeg

Does that top van say, "probefahrt" on its end?

@oldwizard....anything other than the front seats are lacking comfort and padding...in the regular length 8 passenger the third row is a right cock up....they IMO should have sacrificed a little of the space behind the last row and given more third row leg room.... I just sold 5 to a transportation company and they have actually fabricated extended rails for the rear seat to do exactly that. I don't rightfully know who Ford has as consumer groups, but that 3rd row is a blatant mistake, much like the fold down mechanism in the 3 row Transit Connect...which is one of the worst designs Ive ever seen. As for Chateau...I agree, 7 passenger with twin captains was nice...maybe that will come...hopefully in a more comfortable manner.

I forgot I was in this thread ... before it went all over the place.

Well Dean, your response seals it. No Transit Wagon for me until they put some better seats in it.

I may be wrong, but I blame Ford of Europe for the whole seat fiasco. You could also call it US snobbery.

• First Americans, on average, weigh more that almost every other nationality, worldwide, Bigger behinds require bigger seats.
  • Second, we travel farther for vacation/holiday than any other nation. It is still not unusual for a family of 4 from the midwest or northeast to pack up the kids and go see the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. These are 4-6 day trips one way ! Comfort is mandatory !!
  • Third, Americans want flexibility in a van. More than once, I have pulled the seats from my Chateau Club Wagon, throw down a tarp and hauled straw/hay, sod or other landscaping material.

I'll keep driving my 18 year old Chateau Club Wagon until Ford has a decent Chateau package or I find something else as useful. I am crazy enough, that I might by Transit van and do my own "conversion". Rear carpeting, and 4 decent "captains chair" seats !

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I forgot I was in this thread ... before it went all over the place.

Well Dean, your response seals it. No Transit Wagon for me until they put some better seats in it.

I may be wrong, but I blame Ford of Europe for the whole seat fiasco. You could also call it US snobbery.

• First Americans, on average, weigh more that almost every other nationality, worldwide, Bigger behinds require bigger seats.
  • Second, we travel farther for vacation/holiday than any other nation. It is still not unusual for a family of 4 from the midwest or northeast to pack up the kids and go see the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. These are 4-6 day trips one way ! Comfort is mandatory !!
  • Third, Americans want flexibility in a van. More than once, I have pulled the seats from my Chateau Club Wagon, throw down a tarp and hauled straw/hay, sod or other landscaping material.

I'll keep driving my 18 year old Chateau Club Wagon until Ford has a decent Chateau package or I find something else as useful. I am crazy enough, that I might by Transit van and do my own "conversion". Rear carpeting, and 4 decent "captains chair" seats !

Is a medium roof EcoBoost Transit with leather, 4 captains chairs, a bench that converts to a bed and dual powered sliding doors with 4WD as an option too much to ask? :)

Is a medium roof EcoBoost Transit with leather, 4 captains chairs, a bench that converts to a bed and dual powered sliding doors with 4WD as an option too much to ask? :)

While the market wouldn't be huge for it, there would be a market that would pay for it. (35K-50K) Seniors that like to drive for traveling and travel sports parents would eat something like that up. Would be a White Space vehicle in the market.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

I saw a low roof Transit conversion van a few days ago. I cant remember the name of the company but I remember seeing it on old E-Series and Chevy Express vans. Explorer maybe?

Yes, Explorer makes them. They do the smaller Mercedes too. When I drove past their factory last year it was still mostly GMs in thier lots.

• Like 1