What happened to full size sedans?

We recently took a family vacation. Looking at rental car options, sedans are far cheaper than even minivans, let alone SUVs. I have two kids in car seats so I figured a "full size" sedan would be adequate. Long story short, I get to the rental desk at te airport and find out my choices are a Camry, Passat, or Malibu. As far as I know, these are all midsize. I said "No, I reserved a full size. I need an Impala, Taurus, Avalon, Charger etc". They replied that they don't have any. I asked them why not and they said that see very few cars that big anymore.

I checked all three cars and found that the Passat had the biggest trunk and back seat and managed to squeeze the stroller and six pieces of luggage into the trunk and back seat. It left me longing for the Crown Vics I grew up with.

It seems that the automakers aren't building truly full size sedans anymore. I realize most of the buyers switched to SUVs and crew cab pickups, but the rental fleets need to realign their pricing structure such that minivans and crossovers aren't considered specialty vehicles anymore. There's no reason a $30,000 crossover should cost 4x as much to rent as a $28,000 midsize sedan.

We recently took a family vacation. Looking at rental car options, sedans are far cheaper than even minivans, let alone SUVs. I have two kids in car seats so I figured a "full size" sedan would be adequate. Long story short, I get to the rental desk at te airport and find out my choices are a Camry, Passat, or Malibu. As far as I know, these are all midsize. I said "No, I reserved a full size. I need an Impala, Taurus, Avalon, Charger etc". They replied that they don't have any. I asked them why not and they said that see very few cars that big anymore.

I checked all three cars and found that the Passat had the biggest trunk and back seat and managed to squeeze the stroller and six pieces of luggage into the trunk and back seat. It left me longing for the Crown Vics I grew up with.

It seems that the automakers aren't building truly full size sedans anymore. I realize most of the buyers switched to SUVs and crew cab pickups, but the rental fleets need to realign their pricing structure such that minivans and crossovers aren't considered specialty vehicles anymore. There's no reason a $30,000 crossover should cost 4x as much to rent as a $28,000 midsize sedan.

It's all about demand. Why charge more for a $30k crossover than a $28k midsize sedan? Because they can.

• Like 2

Sounds like 2 things;

Depending on what part of the country you're in. You'll find Impalas to Avalons and Tahoe here to rent where I'm at but again I'm at a big city.

Secondly sounds like they wanted you to upgrade to a CUV and charge you anyway.

Today's 40 and 50 something buyers just are not moving into what they call "their parents/grandparents' cars". They want a 3 row Explorer, etc, instead and don't "long for the Crown Vics". Times change, and like car based station wagons, mainstream large cars are fading away.

I'm betting only luxury makes will offer an E size 'flagship' by 2020.

Edited by 630land

I see point, since rental companies call a Malibu a 'full size' and a Focus a 'mid size'.

There are still some Impalas roaming around O'Hare airport area, for business folks, but seems like vacationers want their SUV like at home.

Rental companies have been doing this for years. Taurus, Impala et al are classed as "premium" cars as the next step above full size.

In this case they didn't have any on the lot. Their "premium" option was a Maxima - which was about the same size as the Passat, and cost twice as much. Still a bargain compared to the CUV I guess.

I see point, since rental companies call a Malibu a 'full size' and a Focus a 'mid size'.

There are still some Impalas roaming around O'Hare airport area, for business folks, but seems like vacationers want their SUV like at home.

They also call the Cruze "mid-size"

Today's 40 and 50 something buyers just are not moving into what they call "their parents/grandparents' cars". They want a 3 row Explorer, etc, instead and don't "long for the Crown Vics". Times change, and like car based station wagons, mainstream large cars are fading away.

I'm betting only luxury makes will offer an E size 'flagship' by 2020.

Like Lincoln. ;)

• Like 1

They also call the Cruze "mid-size"

Cruze has the same passenger cabin capacity as an early 2000s Mazda 6, the main difference is

that the Cruze has a slightly smaller trunk to keep it just within the EPA definition of a Compact.

There's no reason a $30,000 crossover should cost 4x as much to rent as a $28,000 midsize sedan.

There's a VERY good reason it should: Because people will pay it. When more people, like you, say "no" to paying it, costs will drop. There's absolutely NO REASON for them to charge anything less than the equilibrium point, at a minimum. They are not the Salvation Army. I realize this may sound snotty, but I can only say it like this: I'm always baffled by people saying things like "That price is ridiculous!" or "No way it should be that much!" Well, no one is forcing anyone to pay anything for anything.

Prices are "ridiculous" on a product or "that much" because far more people are ok paying it.

The availability of a true full-size sedans is a function of this exact same thing. Either: 1) The demand for such a product isn't there at all 2) They can only rent a limited number of those vehicles at the price-point they need to maintain the margin they want or 3) Other products rent easily with even higher margins and basically squeeze out a lower margin product. It's frustrating for you and your family, certainly, but there's noting untoward or bad going on here.

• Like 2

I'm wondering what the worst car ever was in terms of overall length/width to back seat room.

I don't know what it is, but I'll bet it was made in the 70s.

My father had a series of LTD coupes in the '70s. I could lay down prone in the back seat, but otherwise don't remember that much leg room back there. I think the shelf behind the seat was deeper. Our dog would lay there when we were travelling and didn't hang his legs over the seat back.

When I was in high school, a friend had an early '70s Monte Carlo. It had very little room, as well.