Ford Mustang is the world's best-selling sports car

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/08/ford-mustang-worlds-best-selling-sports-car-official/

Making the title slightly more impressive is that this honor comes before the right-hand drive variants go on sale. The first shipments of those don't arrive until at least November. However, a line is already forming. According to Ford, there are nearly 2,000 Mustang pre-orders in the UK, almost 3,000 in Australia, and 400 in New Zealand. The popular model is also launching in South Africa, Japan, and a few other right-hand-drive countries.

Ford deserves all its success with the all-new Mustang. I haven't owned a personal vehicle for nearly 30 years now, having had the benefit of driving company cars due to my position. I started out driving Mustangs as my company car in the mid '80's and then switched to Thunderbirds as our dealership was one of the top ten Thunderbird dealerships in the country to the point that we were know as "Birdland" throughout the Northeast thanks in part to years of advertising done live by Don Imus. I switched back to driving Mustangs quite a few years ago but have never been as impressed as I am with the new Mustang.

Contrary to what's so popular today, I don't like 4-door vehicles and don't like, for my personal needs, the high seating position or utility of the SUV or CUV segment. I've been single for years and don't have children so there's little appeal to drive a 4-door vehicle.

Driving the new Mustang, I'm constantly surprised and often amazed at how often I'm stopped by others asking if it's the new Mustang and wanting to talk about it. As such, I've lost count of the number of Mustang brochures I've given out which is not only a lot of fun but part of the reason I always have Mustang brochures in the car with me!

For most of this year my company car was a 2015 Mustang GT Premium Fastback equipped with the 50th Anniversary Appearance Package, Automatic Transmission, #400A Package, Navigation System, Security Package & Reverse Park Assist. Just last week I started driving an almost identical car but also equipped with the #401A Package plus the Adaptive Cruise Control system. I had the opportunity to drive the car to the airport this weekend and try out the Adaptive Cruise Control and was very impressed with the seamless performance in its decreasing and increasing the vehicle speed based on the traffic in the lane ahead. Every day I drive the new Mustang I'm impressed with what Ford's done!

Thank you Ford for continuing to do so well with this iconic car!

• Like 3

I can tell you that all of those international orders are cash down and locked in,

that's the only way Ford would accept offers, it actively screens for fudged dealer orders.So afte

Once all of those Mustangs are sold, there's zero floor stock for local dealers,

the only way you can get one is to order and wait more than six to nine months.

Edited by jpd80

I'm not a huge fan of the 2016 restyling myself. It looks ok...thats all about I can say good about it.

I didn't really like it in pictures, but after seeing quite a few on the road, I like it. It for whatever reason looks more upscale to me than the 2011-15 model.

• Like 1

I didn't really like it in pictures, but after seeing quite a few on the road, I like it. It for whatever reason looks more upscale to me than the 2011-15 model.

Much more upscale and much more athletic. The 2011s seem blocky whereas the new ones are very svelte and athletic looking - sort of like a cheetah crouched waiting to pounce.

• Like 1

I think the 11-15's were in transition. I have an 07 GT500 and I think the retro look is fitting for the car but with the 11-15's they used the same old, tired retro green house but attempted to modernize the other styling que's. The end result was IMHO the styling seemed somewhat clumsy and forced.

Interesting, like me I wasn't too fussed at the get go...but the car has grown on me big time....VERY refined, and a true head turner.....now, don't get me started on the Explorer, im on the wrong side of the fence on that cars styling.

Huh? Explain yourself.

Love the front end of the 16, but I LOATHE the rear end. They probably could have kept the back the way it was it it would have looked fine.

Yes i like the 2016 front better but not the back. The old explorer front had too much bloat with all the body colored bumper and surround material.

I will say I think the straight on rearview of the 2014 Mustang when sitting in traffic, particularly at night is one of the coolest. I those rear lights are great and the rear bumper was a vast improvement, even the placement of the lower red reflectors is perfect with car lights behind the car. A great and significant low cost change over the 2011-12.

The new Mustang is great, though I'm still holding out to see if they come up with some type of new grill treatments in the next year or too. This from the person who stuck a black aluminum billet grill on his Mustang

Hugh...I know looks are subjective, but I prefer the looks of the 2015 Explorer over the 16....its overdone, looks like they tried too hard....

I can see your point looking at it. I don't think it's bad but I agree adding last gen Escape rear lights and chiseling the hatch seems a bit much. A case of you have to do something to look different than last generation and you don't care how it looks. Meh, to each...On second thought, the rear stamping reminds me of the first Fusion MCE of 2010-2012 and I don't think that is a bad thing.

Edited by Hugh

Yes i like the 2016 front better but not the back. The old explorer front had too much bloat with all the body colored bumper and surround material.

I will say I think the straight on rearview of the 2014 Mustang when sitting in traffic, particularly at night is one of the coolest. I those rear lights are great and the rear bumper was a vast improvement, even the placement of the lower red reflectors is perfect with car lights behind the car. A great and significant low cost change over the 2011-12.

The new Mustang is great, though I'm still holding out to see if they come up with some type of new grill treatments in the next year or too. This from the person who stuck a black aluminum billet grill on his Mustang

I agree that the last gen Mustang had a sweet can. I'm on the fence regarding the new one. However, seeing the new ones on the road, man they are awesome!

That's where they really, truly stand out. Pictures don't do it justice, and even sitting still on the lot is no match for one driving down the road. Gorgeous!

New Mustang looks fantastic on a racetrack too! Here's the 2015 GT that Edmunds.com fielded for a JDRF Track Day Fundraiser event held at Willow Springs International Raceway:

http://services.edmunds-media.com/image-service/media-ed/ximm/?quality=85&image=/ford/mustang-gt/2015/lt/2015_ford_mustang-gt_actf34_lt_328151_717.jpg

http://services.edmunds-media.com/image-service/media-ed/ximm/?quality=85&image=/ford/mustang-gt/2015/lt/2015_ford_mustang-gt_actf34_lt_328152_717.jpg

http://services.edmunds-media.com/image-service/media-ed/ximm/?quality=85&image=/ford/mustang-gt/2015/lt/2015_ford_mustang-gt_r34_lt_328151_717.jpg

• Like 1