2016 Toyota Prius. They did it! They made it Uglier!

rmc523

Sour grapes fellas. Kev Mo is right, the car will still sell in substantial numbers regardless of what we here think about how it looks. Let's be honest Ford has made some ugly stuff over the years too. Most recently the Flex comes to mind. The only difference is that Ford's ugly stuff doesn't sell and Toyota's does.

4Rrunner sales are up - and with those hideous bulging head and tail lights. Toyota is very good at knowing their customer. That is why they are #1.

• Like 1

The "else" is where Ford seems better to me. I haven't driven a Ford that I'd say I couldn't live with for at least a decade.

Exactly - and that's where I thought Fusion hybrid and C-Max for that matter would end up with a big advantage but it sure hasn't worked out that way. At least not to the extent I expected.

So many buyers are ignorant of the fact that the fusion hybrid even exists. The Prius was the first successful hybrid. Since the "image" is 50% of the reason to buy a hybrid, nothing else competes with the Prius. Of course it's not lacking in MPGs either, which is the other 50%. In short, the Prius is successful for no other reason than because it says "Prius" on the back and has a 40-something mpg sticker in the window. What are other auto manufactures to do about this? I have no idea. Ford was starting to get some name recognition with the Escape hybrid as the original hybrid utility, but they seem to have abandoned that in favor of EcoBoost.

4Rrunner sales are up - and with those hideous bulging head and tail lights. Toyota is very good at knowing their customer. That is why they are #1.

So many buyers are ignorant of the fact that the fusion hybrid even exists. The Prius was the first successful hybrid. Since the "image" is 50% of the reason to buy a hybrid, nothing else competes with the Prius. Of course it's not lacking in MPGs either, which is the other 50%. In short, the Prius is successful for no other reason than because it says "Prius" on the back and has a 40-something mpg sticker in the window. What are other auto manufactures to do about this? I have no idea. Ford was starting to get some name recognition with the Escape hybrid as the original hybrid utility, but they seem to have abandoned that in favor of EcoBoost.

Well, they went the C-Max route instead of a new Escape Hybrid. That was their attempt at a unique Prius-like vehicle. But we all know how that has turned out. It seemed to be doing well - gaining traction, and then both fuel economy reassessments killed it....sales dropped after that.

BlackHorse has been suspended for two weeks.

Holy smokes this forum is ridiculous. the guy made a perfectly valid contribution to what was otherwise a very boring and unsurprising slice of internet - Ford fans ripping on an ugly Toyota.

I didn't think it was that bad when I saw the spy shots, but yeah, they went way overboard. But look at the Prius vs Civic Hybrid - maybe the Prius was just a better car, but most would agree that a lot of Prius buyers like to stand out.

I see a little bit of 2nd gen NA Ford Focus in this thing - also a great example of BlackHorse's point about ugly Fords.

ford-focus-2010-red.jpg

Holy smokes this forum is ridiculous.

BlackHorse had been warned, repeatedly, over the past week about exactly that kind of conduct.

Nearly all regular contributors to this forum were in agreement that the overall tone of the site had gotten too toxic.

I took a week off because I didn't like how I was acting on the forum.

I am not going to apologize for enforcing a measure of civility on someone who has been a persistent troublemaker on this board.

I might also mention that Intrepidatious--our newest moderator, and the owner of a family of Chrysler forums--fully supported this suspension.

Perhaps it would behoove you to either read more of this forum or, at the very least, assume that we know what we're doing.

They don't care about looks. I think that goes even more so for the Prius - they buy it because it's a Prius, certainly not because of how it looks. Heck, Toyota could've probably released the Aztek and found buyers for it on name alone lol.

Does every manufacturer release an ugly vehicle from time to time? Sure! But it seems like the Japanese are making a habit out of it lately.

Holy shit you're right! Someone finally took a page out of Toyotas playbook, saw nothing but $$$, and welll.... we all know how that worked out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something to think about with the Prius.

Remember how Volvo was the 'safety' brand? Like that was their whole schtick? Safety!

CQ0091.jpg

Well, where's Volvo at now that mandated safety features are everywhere?

Same deal with the Prius range. Eventually, you're going to have hybrid powertrains in most vehicles, and then what's the reason for buying a Prius?

I have no reason to buy a Prius, they are just too small for my needs and the cost of maintaining them long term, as well as licensing and insurance.

Plus, getting into an accident in one. Ahh, no thanks. I want to walk away from one, not be extracted out a sardine can.

By the way...That Volvo has got to be an early 1980's model. Too young to drive then...HAHA