2016 Mustang GT vs. 2016 Camaro SS mag comparos

As someone who (like many here) lived through the early 1980's resurgence of the Mustang (I had the 82 GT with T-Bar and 5-Speed) vs Camaro magazine wars and followed it into the 1990's when the cars really started to suck - and suck real bad - all I can say is that it is great to see both GM and F and C bringing us some incredible cars - which our children will know is/was the pinnacle of gasoline cars - before we all go green one day.

They each have classic muscle cars right now, and it doesn't matter who is 0.5 seconds faster. They're all stupid fast - and 0.5 seconds faster will NOT be the reason why some are collectibles in 30 years. It will be because they use a fuel which you'll probably need a special polluters license to buy.

It's why we've organized under Ford Performance,” Pericak said. “We don't just race to race. We race to perform. And what does that really mean? It means that we're going to use the race track as a test track to prove our technologies and innovations so that we can put them into our cars and into the showroom.
"It's really important to our company to celebrate 50 years and really demonstrate our engineering prowess inside the company,” he said.

The rivalry keeps business going in Motown. I dont care what magazines say, but if there was no rival, there'd only be CUV's for sale at Ford.

Oh, you mean like when the Camaro was absent for quite a few years several years back and the Mustang still kept going and selling well?

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

The rivalry keeps business going in Motown. I dont care what magazines say, but if there was no rival, there'd only be CUV's for sale at Ford.

Ford kept producing the Mustang without a Camaro or Challenger competitor.

Edit: (guess I should have read the last post before replying)

Edited by akirby

seems to me, and I believe Ford will be addressing the fact, all the Mustang needs is weight loss....the Coyote has more potential for sure...but as Akirby says, its not really lacking right now...so, a couple hundred pounds and voila, game back on, and maybe they should have a Performance Pack AND a track pack for the regular Mustang , with the track pack aimed at the Camaro head on...The PP is right now a nice compromise between performance and daily driving..something the SS owners lose sight of as its all about chest bumping....

Edited by Deanh

There's still a lot of engineering work that goes into using the lighter materials to account for the different properties of said material.

Definitely, but if you can't afford those lighter materials, there's no point in engineering the parts to begin with.

Just think what the engineers could do on a Mustang if they didn't have to be held to a 'normal' price point. Reference the 2017 Ford GT.

But the weight savings still comes from the material not the engineering.

A lot of weight reduction can come from engineering design. Material can be added to certain areas of a part or frame where stress is greater and removed or thinned where stresses are light or non-existent. This type of engineering occurs frequently with hydro-formed steel frames, for example. All the analysis work required to design such a part is pure engineering and it costs a lot of money. That's why I think S550 ran out of money for weight reduction. They had to pump money into other priority areas like a new body and interior, and a new chassis, which may or may not be used on any other vehicle.

• Like 1

A lot of weight reduction can come from engineering design. Material can be added to certain areas of a part or frame where stress is greater and removed or thinned where stresses are light or non-existent. This type of engineering occurs frequently with hydro-formed steel frames, for example. All the analysis work required to design such a part is pure engineering and it costs a lot of money. That's why I think S550 ran out of money for weight reduction. They had to pump money into other priority areas like a new body and interior, and a new chassis, which may or may not be used on any other vehicle.

I agree. Plenty of engineering goes into making parts lighter. And that does cost money.

I'm not an engineer, but I have friends and family that are. There are sometimes hidden tricks that can save weight, sometimes without using different materials.

I already acknowledged that, but you're talking about a few pounds here or there. You're not going to "engineer" a 300 lb weight loss without using carbon fiber or other lightweight materials and/or making it somewhat smaller.

• Like 1

I already acknowledged that, but you're talking about a few pounds here or there. You're not going to "engineer" a 300 lb weight loss without using carbon fiber or other lightweight materials and/or making it somewhat smaller.

That is the key with the new Camaro and its weight savings, it is now quite a bit smaller than Mustang.

Edited by traxiii

Well, it's not really smaller than the Mustang. It weighs about as much as the Mustang and is about the same size as the Mustang (identical length 188.3, width: 74.7 vs. 75.4 on the Mustang). The Zeta Camaro was bigger and heavier.

Given two vehicles with similar programs & cost parameters, one shouldn't be surprised that the weights are so similar.

Edited by RichardJensen

meh, theres weight savings to be had...counterpoint is at what costs before the bean counters get their knickers in a twist....good set of wheels can have substantial weight savings...but obviously that and utilizing lighter materials ( alum rear diff housing, lighter driveshafts, etc etc ) would crate havoc for the cost vs benefits accountants...fact is though, feature for feature the Mustange enjoys an MSRP advantage....do you give that up ?