2016 Mustang GT vs. 2016 Camaro SS mag comparos

I already acknowledged that, but you're talking about a few pounds here or there. You're not going to "engineer" a 300 lb weight loss without using carbon fiber or other lightweight materials and/or making it somewhat smaller.

Strength of materials, testing, and FEA it still takes engineering to get it right. So technically it is "engineering" .

Strength of materials, testing, and FEA it still takes engineering to get it right. So technically it is "engineering" .

Did you miss this part in his post?

without using carbon fiber or other lightweight materials

He did not say you could do it without engineering, he said you could not do it without lighter weight materials.

• Like 1

Did you miss this part in his post?

He did not say you could do it without engineering, he said you could not do it without lighter weight materials.

No didn't miss it. Each goes hand in hand. Do you think these light weight materials came from a pencil pusher or from an engineer?

Edited by coupe3w

No didn't miss it. Each goes hand in hand. Do you think these light weight materials came from a pencil pusher or from an engineer?

Yes, they go hand in hand, but the decisions on which material comes from both. What, do you think the engineer just picks the material without putting any thought into cost?

Upper management: "We have to reduce weight by y lbs."

Engineer: "We could maybe cut x lbs by updating this part and re-engineering it, but to decrease weight by y lbs, we have to go with a different material. Let's use carbon fiber."

Pencil pusher AKA bean counter: "OK, sounds great. You've got $xxx.xx to spend on that part."

Engineer: "Oh. Well, then we have to use aluminum."

So, to say you can reduce weight solely with engineering is incorrect. To say you can reduce weight with materials alone is incorrect. It is a combination of both of those, but the biggest factor of all is cost. Everything has to be done to a cost. Nobody is going to buy a Mustang GT for $75k when the Camaro is $35k.

The Camaro losing weight was low lying fruit due to its platform it was on. It finally matched the Mustang's weight that it had since 2005 or so. The 2015 is pretty much nothing more then a improved S197 platform with IRS added back to it.

As for the Mustang losing weight, that might have to wait till the next model, since just adding aluminum/whatever parts to an existing platform wont show major weight loss (200-300lbs), so I don't think we'll see a huge improvement in weight with an MCE...adding more power would be easier.

300lbs is 8% of the Mustang's mass, close to the 11% that the F150 lost. That's pretty significant and I agree that Ford won't incorporate aluminum with the MCE. With the 2020 'stang however, I can see that along with a new 4.0L TT V8 and maybe a lighter chassis overall.

I think we'll also see the 2.7L or the 3.0L Ecoboost in a midlevel model.

What about increasing the use of HT Steel as a weight reduction method?

Going that route instead of aluminum body would get Mustang half way there

with only a fraction ot the cot and mush less tear up.

Ford's push has been toward aluminum for quite some time; the F150 was just the biggest rock in the pond, not the first or only one. I don't see them putting the Mustang on a different course.

Ford's push has been toward aluminum for quite some time; the F150 was just the biggest rock in the pond, not the first or only one. I don't see them putting the Mustang on a different course.

I think his point was if they tried to do some light-weighting before a full redesign, perhaps they could use high strength steel instead of aluminum until that redesign.

• Like 1

I think his point was if they tried to do some light-weighting before a full redesign, perhaps they could use high strength steel instead of aluminum until that redesign.

I'm not sure switching to high strength steel would save much over switching to aluminum. The only uses I could see for that would be in structural areas, which should trigger the same engineering processes and safety testing as switching to aluminum, both of which would seem a bit much for an MCE. Using high strength steel would probably save in manufacturing cost, but on the engineering front it looks like a step backwards, or sideways at best.

I'm not sure switching to high strength steel would save much over switching to aluminum. The only uses I could see for that would be in structural areas, which should trigger the same engineering processes and safety testing as switching to aluminum, both of which would seem a bit much for an MCE. Using high strength steel would probably save in manufacturing cost, but on the engineering front it looks like a step backwards, or sideways at best.

Well Ford has come out recently and said not to expect aluminum bodies in other vehicles,

I take thas as Ford saying that there are other better ways to achieve fuel economy

be that with transmissions or clever light weighting by reviewing design

and materials.

Reading about the S550 genesis, it's clear that Ford made a lot of changes that

triggered more changes to take the Mustang in the right direction for both

styling and driving dynamics. The weight increase was probably due to

time constraints and limited resources, more can and should be done.

Just thinking about the weight reductions achieved with F150, 600 lbs of that was the alloy body

while the other 100 lbs or so was lightening of the frame - even if you use the single cab as a guide

, that's still 500 lbs off so if Ford ever made the jump, Mustan weight would start just below Camaro.

Looking at the Silverado experience, the body weight reduction from steel to HT steel is about half the

expected reduction by going to full aluminum and eminently doable with existing pressing and stamping lines

- probably a 200-250 lb loss at best.

Edited by jpd80

The Camaro is more 'bad ass' because you can't see out of it? You can't punch your way out in a V6 like the SS.

The Camaro is a slave to the 67-69 styling. Get over it already!

The Mustang is more user friendly and has a more elegant yet aggressive design. The GT-350R is an answer, but really the GT is great at what it does.....even if it's .5 seconds slower LOL. I'm sure a DI 5.0 is in the works. A light weight GT-S, a Mach1 or another BOSS 302 could fill in the gap.

• Like 1

The Camaro is more 'bad ass' because you can't see out of it? You can't punch your way out in a V6 like the SS.

The Camaro is a slave to the 67-69 styling. Get over it already!

The Mustang is more user friendly and has a more elegant yet aggressive design. The GT-350R is an answer, but really the GT is great at what it does.....even if it's .5 seconds slower LOL. I'm sure a DI 5.0 is in the works. A light weight GT-S, a Mach1 or another BOSS 302 could fill in the gap.

Exactly.

Ford has so many different variations of Mustang it can pick and choose from,

I doubt the GM competition will be able to keep track of so many variations

each variation could supply something that appears unique all without

blowing the budget... desirability is key.

Edited by jpd80

There seems to be a lot of apples vs oranges comparisons in this thread; comparing outward visability of the 2015 Camaro instead of the 2016's version, GT350 and GT500 versions which, based on pricing and intended use might better be compared to a Corvette, missing tonneau cover in the Mustang convertible, missing CD player, aging styling.

As for weight savings, how about dropping 3 camshafts and the hundred pounds they and the related valvetrain bits represent? Then start in on the overbite front overhang, push the wheelbase out to the front, bettering handling and weight distribution.

I thought Ford and GM were working on new transmissions as part of a joint partnership...why does only GM seem to have gotten the advanced transmissions into real life use?

Edited by Sizzler