2017 Continental spied with no padding (just dot camo)

Really, ***yawn***

Do like the paint job though. Is that going to be available on any other Ford products?

Grill has an incipient kidney shape, overall looks like a dozen other designs already on the road.

just curious, why isn't this thread under the "Lincoln" vehicles forum?

Edited by Sizzler

I can think of only two - Jaguar and Bentley Continental. I bet you can't come close to naming 10 more.

Is it ok to ever disagree with you or does that bring down the wrath of wan on me?

I don't see any resemblance to the jag or Bentley other than in a general all-are-car-shaped way. The jag and b are both proportionately longer for one thing.

Malibu, 3-series, little-audi, optima, Mazda sedan (not the Miata), fusion, ... I'm bored...it looks like any number of mis-sized sedans out there.

To my eye, anyway.

Edited by Sizzler

Is it ok to ever disagree with you or does that bring down the wrath of wan on me?

I don't see any resemblance to the jag or Bentley other than in a general all-are-car-shaped way. The jag and b are both proportionately longer for one thing.

Malibu, 3-series, little-audi, optima, Mazda sedan (not the Miata), fusion, ... I'm bored...it looks like any number of mis-sized sedans out there.

To my eye, anyway.

If you quit being a jackass they might get off your case!

• Like 4

To my eye, anyway.

Dude - even the Bentley design chief said it was a ripoff.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150331/OEM03/150339944/did-lincoln-continental-rip-off-bentley-design-chiefs-clash-online

AR-150339944.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

To my eye, anyway.

Right, because I'm the only one who disagrees with you on this one.

This is the best looking sedan Ford/Lincoln has ever built. Can't wait to own one. Looks like a XJ and an A8, but I think they did a great job.

I think there is no way Ford is building this car alone, a Taurus and a Falcon will also be getting on this platform to spread the cost.

• Like 2

This is the best looking sedan Ford/Lincoln has ever built. Can't wait to own one. Looks like a XJ and an A8, but I think they did a great job.

I think there is no way Ford is building this car alone, a Taurus and a Falcon will also be getting on this platform to spread the cost.

IIRC, it's a streched and modified C/D platform which the Chinese Taurus shares. And if I'm wrong, I'm not worried because you are swiftly corrected here :)

• Like 1

IIRC, it's a streched and modified C/D platform which the Chinese Taurus shares. And if I'm wrong, I'm not worried because you are swiftly corrected here :)

Correct!

But the base platform is also shared with the Fusion/MKZ/Edge/MKX. So even without Taurus it's not alone.

Maybe they will build PI sedans from this vehicle, too? Sort of how the last Crown Vics were fleet only cars? No retail "Taurus" but a PI.

Given the rate the PI is selling, its very doubtful. With the Explorer moving like gang busters and infringing on Taurus production, I think Ford is willing to let it rot on the vine for a few years, till the replacement Explorer comes out.

These are so much alike that they just look like badge engineered versions of each other with just different grilles and lights.

Anyway, this is an old looking car to me since it looks like a Bentley that already exists and it really does not say Lincoln. It just says I look like a badge engineered version of a Bentley.

Edited by StangBang

The 800lb gorilla is how will this stack against the CT6?. With the 3.0 with probably 350hp fwd/400hp awd Contenental i don't see the 2.0T CT6 long in the Caddy but the CT6 may have the weight advantage.

There might be a 2.3L EB Continental too - just depends whether they're going for a full range of prices to yield more volume or trying to keep it exclusive for some reason.

I think this is closer to what a traditional Lincoln buyer would want than the CT6 is to what a traditional Caddy buyer wants and it will probably be cheaper to boot. If so the Conti should outsell the CT6.

• Like 1

The 800lb gorilla is how will this stack against the CT6?. With the 3.0 with probably 350hp fwd/400hp awd Contenental i don't see the 2.0T CT6 long in the Caddy but the CT6 may have the weight advantage.

If Ford is going to focus on chasing Cadillac and or the Germans, they will fail. Build a car that is just plain a fine driving car and the rest will start to follow. Target the American buyer because the German loving drivers aren't likely to look at the Lincoln anyway.

• Like 1

The most natural prospective Lincoln buyer is a Ford owner who wants to step up to the next level of luxury and features. If you build a Lincoln targeted to that group and you build it right with the right design, features and service then you will also bring in some conquests from other brands. But if you try to build a vehicle targeted to current buyers of other brands (most of whom will never consider buying a Lincoln in the first place no matter how good the vehicle is) and in the process create something that traditional Lincoln buyers don't want then you end up with Cadillac.

• Like 2

There might be a 2.3L EB Continental too - just depends whether they're going for a full range of prices to yield more volume or trying to keep it exclusive for some reason.

I think this is closer to what a traditional Lincoln buyer would want than the CT6 is to what a traditional Caddy buyer wants and it will probably be cheaper to boot. If so the Conti should outsell the CT6.

I don't think Lincoln will offer a 2.3 on Conti from what was said. The MKZ would probably get that engine 1st.

As far as "traditional buyers" CT6 is replacing XTS and CTS and Caddy made it clear they not chasing Germany anymore, CT8 would be the the range topper. Continental believe it or not have to win back the buyers since MKS only move a few hundred a month.

Edited by Fgts

I don't think Lincoln will offer a 2.3 on Conti from what was said. The MKZ would probably get that engine 1st.

As far as "traditional buyers" CT6 is replacing XTS and CTS and Caddy made it clear they not chasing Germany anymore, CT8 would be the the range topper. Continental believe it or not have to win back the buyers since MKS only move a few hundred a month.

If they want volume from conti they need a base model with a smaller engine that can be priced lower and justify higher prices on the 3.0L. If they don't care about volume then the 3.0L alone would be fine.

CTS put off traditional caddy buyers with the styling (don't see that changing) and higher prices. They need to soften the styling and lower the price if they want to win back those buyers.