'17 Continental Coupe

I'd like to see a coupe/convertible but on a slightly smaller platform. I keep hearing that's planned for CD6 (Lincstang?) but it's a few years off due to higher priorities.

It would not surprise me at all to see a CD6 based Ford performance sedan at some point.

Uh, no. Why the need to replace Taurus? You've said it yourself that with the large sedan segment shrinking, it would be more prudent to kill Taurus and let Fusion take those sales.

It wouldn't be a large sedan - it would be an alternative to Fusion with more power and higher performance and a much higher MSRP. It would help amortize CD6.

It might serve as a replacement for the PI - built on the same platform as Explorer.

I don't think it's a strong business case and I'm really just speculating - but given Ford's recent affection for high performance vehicles I'd say it's at least a possibility.

That is a nice looking chop into a coupe. It very Mark VII looking in a way. Ain't gonna ever happen though.

As far as the comments about another Thunderbird, I just don't see it ever coming back. The market for two seat roadsters and large coupes has dried up. The large sedan market is drying up too. The only place the Thunderbird ever made the most sense was a four seat coupe and convertible but the Mustang has that covered now. Fact is the Mustang took sales from the Tbird back when it first came out and they had to push the Thunderbird upmarket into a large personal luxury car for it to survive.

It's at the point the only way you may ever see another Thunderbird is if they put the name on a *GAG* CUV. If that's the case the nameplate may as well stay extinct.

That is a nice looking chop into a coupe. It very Mark VII looking in a way. Ain't gonna ever happen though.

As far as the comments about another Thunderbird, I just don't see it ever coming back. The market for two seat roadsters and large coupes has dried up. The large sedan market is drying up too. The only place the Thunderbird ever made the most sense was a four seat coupe and convertible but the Mustang has that covered now. Fact is the Mustang took sales from the Tbird back when it first came out and they had to push the Thunderbird upmarket into a large personal luxury car for it to survive.

It's at the point the only way you may ever see another Thunderbird is if they put the name on a *GAG* CUV. If that's the case the nameplate may as well stay extinct.

Eh, I could potentially see a 4-door coupe like vehicle.

And midsized, not full size per se. An alternative to Fusion - maybe with a stretched wheelbase - to go along with CD6 based Lincolns.

Here's a question though - would it be RWD, and more performance oriented? I ask because Fusion has already gotten a fairly sloped roofline, so how do you differentiate it?

Here's a question though - would it be RWD, and more performance oriented? I ask because Fusion has already gotten a fairly sloped roofline, so how do you differentiate it?

Yes, CD6 RWD or RWD/AWD. Unique styling and higher performance than Fusion Sport. And a much higher MSRP. Essentially a Ford version of the Lincoln CD6 sedan.

It's not that I think they need such a vehicle, but it's one way to add volume and help amortize CD6 and it fits with Ford's recent quest for maximum performance (Focus RS, GT, GT350, etc.)

I was discussing the 2 future Lincoln vehicles with a member at another forum, here was some of the discussion:

We know one of them is Aviator. The other is up in the air.....I speculated either a new "Town Car" sedan that slots above Continental. The other was a "compact" (something between Focus and current MKZ size).....

Next-gen (CD6-based) Continental and MKZ both grow larger and go higher in price. This leaves room underneath the new, larger and more expensive MKZ for a new "compact" sedan. But it won't be like Focus, it'll have a stretched wheelbase allowing for a good size cabin with plenty of rear seat room. Essentially, imagine a sedan slotting between the current Focus and Fusion/MKZ size-wise. This would also allow them to maintain their claim that they don't want to go below the MKZ's current $35K pricepoint......with a more expensive MKZ, they can slot a smaller vehicle in underneath that maintains that "entry" level $35K pricing.

His response was this:

Lincoln can also distance itself from Ford by stretching CD6 into smaller cars than Ford. As in Fusion will be on stretched C3, whereas MKZ will be on smallest CD6 kit. Edge / MKX could also divorce. The volume for CD6 ould be provided by Explorer / Aviator.

CD6 would span MKZ / Continental / MKX / Aviator / Explorer / ....

C3 would span Focus / Escape / Fusion / Edge and MKC / MKA / ....

What I mean by that is that CD6 seems (by all indication) a mid/large platform. Ford will have small-to-mid platform in the Focus replacement.

Ford could build the Fusion / Edge off of the C3 whereas Lincoln could take the CD6, and make MKZ /MKX from that. It would allow Lincoln to make MKZ better proportioned + just large enough to slot a Focus-based MKA below (see A3) below at $32k MSRP base.

I quite like the ring of this --- I wonder how close we are ? (Or whether we're just dreaming.

I then said:

That too is an interesting theory. On paper it sounds like a decent idea. I wonder, however, if volume of these Lincoln-only variants ("shrunken" CD6, as you say) will be enough to justify doing them.....I guess that would all depend on how flexible CD6 is. And then at that point, why diverge similar products just for the sake of putting them on different platforms? Unless CD6 truly is a RWD-capable platform, and RWD is in store for Lincoln, whereas it's not as important for Ford (which would get FWD C3-based models in your scenario).

Thinking more about it - maybe CD6 isn't FWD/RWD/AWD capable like rumored. Maybe it's only RWD. Meanwhile "upsized" C3 will as you suggest underpin Focus/Escape, C-Max, and Fusion/Edge, but nothing larger (which are CD6).

Though the theory of CD6 being midsize and up would free up C3 to be modular and go downward allowing A,B, and C cars (in theory) to be on one "C"3 platform.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens!

Yes, CD6 RWD or RWD/AWD. Unique styling and higher performance than Fusion Sport. And a much higher MSRP. Essentially a Ford version of the Lincoln CD6 sedan.

It's not that I think they need such a vehicle, but it's one way to add volume and help amortize CD6 and it fits with Ford's recent quest for maximum performance (Focus RS, GT, GT350, etc.)

My point in including the other discussion was to throw in my theory at the end there that what if CD6 is actually RWD only, and underpins all Lincolns (except for MKC and Navigator obviously), as well as Explorer and a potential Thunderbird. While current Ford counterparts (Fusion, Edge) go to a lengthened modular C3 platform.

--

Alternatively, perhaps the mystery product is a CD6-based MKR-esque sporting sedan/4-door coupe (this also ties into your Thunderbird speculation).

It's clear CD6 is midsize and up - look at the Lincoln product plan from a few years ago.....the vehicles speculated to be on CD6 - Conti (MKS here), MKZ, mystery product 1 (Aviator), mystery product 2 (Large sedan, coupe/4 door coupe, or large "compact" sedan) all debut around 2021, while the MKX would move to CD6 later after following a regular product cycle of the just-debuted model.