Cruze Hatchback starting at $22,190

fuzzymoomoo

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2016/06/16/chevy-cruze-hatchback-price/85996178/

Gigantic LOL.

For comparison sake, the Focus Hatchback starts at $19,015. Why price yourselves higher than the competition in a market where compact cars are a tough sell to begin with?

LOLGM!!!

GM is forgoing the base stripper (the L model) and the next model up (the LS) to most likely offer what they expect the majority of orders / sales to be (the LT and higher). Frankly I think having a base model car only to advertise a cheap base price is somewhat of a silly practice anyway. How many Focus hatchbacks did you build with zero options? My guess would be a small amount.

• Like 1

For comparison sake, the Focus Hatchback starts at $19,015. Why price yourselves higher than the competition in a market where compact cars are a tough sell to begin with?

LOLGM!!!

A 2016 Focus SE hatchback 2.0L equipped as closely as possible to 2017 Cruze Hatch LT has an MSRP of $21,180, and Focus SE hatchback Ecoboost is $22,075.

Considering Cruze has additional features like Apple Carplay & Android Auto support and telematics, and the fact that Cruze has a much better powertrain than either Focus, the price premium isn't unreasonable.

A 2016 Focus SE hatchback 2.0L equipped as closely as possible to 2017 Cruze Hatch LT has an MSRP of $21,180, and Focus SE hatchback Ecoboost is $22,075.

Considering Cruze has additional features like Apple Carplay & Android Auto support and telematics, and the fact that Cruze has a much better powertrain than either Focus, the price premium isn't unreasonable.

What the heck are you talking about?

There is NO Ecoboost SE Hatchback...actually is 1.0L Ecoboost even offered in the Focus anymore? I poked around on the Ford site and I didn't see it. Ok its still out there, but for some reason I didn't see the option, not to mention that Ecoboost 1.0L is pretty limited option wise (from previous years from what I remember)

2016 Focus has Sync 3, which already or will offer Carplay and Android Auto....as for telematics....not worth it in the day and age of Cell phones.

Powertrain is maybe the only thing worth while you brought up....the Powershift transmission does have issues or at least it has in the past.

Edited by silvrsvt

What the heck are you talking about?

There is NO Ecoboost SE Hatchback...actually is 1.0L Ecoboost even offered in the Focus anymore? I poked around on the Ford site and I didn't see it.

2016 Focus has Sync 3, which already or will offer Carplay and Android Auto....as for telematics....not worth it in the day and age of Cell phones.

Powertrain is maybe the only thing worth while you brought up....the Powershift transmission does have issues or at least it has in the past.

2016 Focus SE with SYNC 3 requires the 201A package and navigation system, which raises the price to $24,475. This configuration is closer to Cruze Premier in feature set and price than the Cruze LT.

1.0L Ecoboost engine is listed as an option for Focus SE sedan and hatchback in the order guide that ice-capades posted here.

An embedded telematics system is advantageous compared to phone based connectivity alone for supporting features like remote start and remote locking. Also, emerging technologies in the "connected car" realm also benefit from embedded telematics.

Powershift tranny in Focus is total garbage.

Edited by aneekr

Using the Ecoboost as a comparison isn't necessarily fair. Your options available are severely limited vs. the standard 2.0 drivetrain.

Nothing wrong with going for profit over volume, Ford has been doing it for awhile now.

Hatchback volume is VERY small anyway.

Very small might be a stretch, we build a lot of hatchbacks. I think there's a greater mix of them built now than there was when I left MAP last year.

Using the Ecoboost as a comparison isn't necessarily fair. Your options available are severely limited vs. the standard 2.0 drivetrain.

That's why I focused (pun intended) on configurations as similar as possible to the $22,190 Cruze hatchback LT without any additional options, namely Focus SE hatchback 200A with satellite radio and automatic transmission. Both 2.0L and Ecoboost engines are available with this configuration according to the order guide.

As noted in post #9, adding package 201A to Focus SE (which is only available with the 2.0L engine) brings its feature set and price closer to the Cruze Premier model.

Hatchback sales are not "very small" anymore, it's not the 90's when it was "cool" to look down on them. Like David Spade would say on SNL, "some nerd in a '72 orange hatchback..."

Newest versions of DCT are not 'total garbage'. And the 1.0 EB is still available on Focus, with 6 speed Chinese regular automatic.

Regarding "compacts are a tough sell", last I heard, Honda is having no problems selling new Civics, same with Corolla and Elantra. Anyone who thinks gas is now "permanently cheap" is living in "la-la land". What non-hybrid SUV gets 40 mpg? If gas goes up, again, panic buying will set in like in 1974, 1979, 2008....

Nothing wrong with going for profit over volume, Ford has been doing it for awhile now.

Hatchback volume is VERY small anyway.

The sales mix is about 1/3 Hatchback and 2/3s Sedans

The way i see it, GM is dropping Verano which starts at $23K while

adding a Cruze Hatchback at just over $22K

That is good business savvy as it allows two things to happen at the same time:

1. It fortifies the Cruze line up and eliminates internal competition from Buick

2. It allows Buick to concentrate on Encore sales without having a similar priced sedan

Edited by jpd80

The sales mix is about 1/3 Hatchback and 2/3s Sedans

The way i see it, GM is dropping Verano which starts at $23K while

adding a Cruze Hatchback at just over $22K

That is good business savvy as it allows two things to happen at the same time:

1. It fortifies the Cruze line up and eliminates internal competition from Buick

2. It allows Buick to concentrate on Encore sales without having a similar priced sedan

What something costs has nothing to do with the customers that buy them so internal competition does really compute in this case. If they wish to to replace Verano volume, you also have to look at how much the average Verano actually sells for, somehow I doubt a Cruze Hatchback has the same potential. As for Buick's focus, pretty sure they are just throwing shit at the wall...you give them far too much credit.

Edited by BORG

What something costs has nothing to do with the customers that buy them so internal competition does really compute in this case. If they wish to to replace Verano volume, you also have to look at how much the average Verano actually sells for, somehow I doubt a Cruze Hatchback has the same potential. As for Buick's focus, pretty sure they are just throwing shit at the wall...you give them far too much credit.

Same was said about Fords selling at Mercury prices

Some vehicle segments are more price sensitive than others, especially when buyers cross shop.

The ATP for Verano was around $25k-$26K so I could see well optioned or higher trim level Cruze

sedan and HB covering more of that area and GM happy enough to switch columns on revenue and,

the addition of a Mexico built Cruze HB goes a long way towards adding a lot of Verano's sales volume..

While the Verano and Cruze may not be cross shopped by a lot of buyers, you can bet that customers

in Buick dealership will be comparing Verano with Encore, so it makes sense For GM to give Chevy

Cruze the sedan revenue, save $$ by not renewing Verano and give Encore less showroom competition.

I'll take all the Focus S & Focus SE 4-Door Sedans equipped with the automatic transmission only and a much smaller number of similar 5-Door SE's as they're great vehicles for customers that are credit challenged. The problem is Ford's commodity requirements which forces dealers to order a mix heavily weighted to those equipped with leather trim, sport appearance packages, etc. that earn more profit for Ford but don't necessarily match the desired price points or customer demand at the local level.

• Like 1

I'll take all the Focus S & Focus SE 4-Door Sedans equipped with the automatic transmission only and a much smaller number of similar 5-Door SE's as they're great vehicles for customers that are credit challenged. The problem is Ford's commodity requirements which forces dealers to order a mix heavily weighted to those equipped with leather trim, sport appearance packages, etc. that earn more profit for Ford but don't necessarily match the desired price points or customer demand at the local level.

why not just sell them a Fiesta instead?

The price small/overlapping price differences between Fiesta and Focus make it hard to justify Fiesta unless Ford is really aggressive about sub-prime loans and incentive pricing. And Fiesta's not so great FE numbers make it hard to justify even with high fuel prices. I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't really want to sell you those cars in any significant numbers.

why not just sell them a Fiesta instead?

There's absolutely no profit in the Fiesta and minimal incentives whereby the Focus has substantially better rebates that can be used as the down payment which makes it a lot easier to get Ford Credit to finance the deal. It works for both customers with no credit or poor credit. We've even had Ford Credit approve deals on a Focus where the customer had repossessions or bankruptcies!

• Like 1