Ford Touts New 10-Speed Transmission....

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2016/06/16/ford-touts-new-10-speed-transmission-for-2017-f-150-raptor/

To usher in the new 10-speed transmission that Ford will be showcasing in its 2017 F-150, as well as the 2017 Raptor, Ford is putting “all 10 gears” on display by showing off the truck’s new instrumentation panel.

Ford says that its all-new transmission is the first volume-production 10-speed automatic available to consumers, and the company also wants to make sure you’re aware it is Ford built! The blue oval says the new 10-speed will be an upgrade in both acceleration and performance compared to its previous six-speed automatic transmissions. Ford says the wide-span gear spacing and “drag-reduction actions” are to thank, while three overdrive gears and a wider span overall enables lower-numerical rear-axle ratios to help improve fuel efficiency.

Is that gear indicator real or just a cute marketing image to tout the 10 speed? Please tell me that isn't real.

It's real. It's not a selector, it just shows what gear it's currently in. I seriously hope is A. Doesn't make it to other models, and B. Doesn't last longer than MY2017.

That font must be tiny as hell......this is one of those areas that needs to be digital IMO.....

I was thinking of a small screen with rotating font where the current gear number

get enlarged and highlighted in a different color.

• Like 4

Hopefully some of those gears are optimized for speeds over 60.

Kind of useless for highway mpg if 10th gear kicks in at 50mph

Compared to GM 8-speed aut ot looks like 5th & 9th are two extra ratios

in the 10-speed that reduce gaps at key positions.

First: 4.70

Second: 2.99

Third: 2.15

Fourth: 1.80

Fifth: 1.52

Sixth: 1.28

Seventh: 1.00

Eighth: 0.85

Ninth: 0.69

Tenth: 0.64

Reverse: 4.87

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I was just wondering if they were going to show all 10 like they do on the current 6 speed. I bet it stays since you can likely still lock out the upper gears. Personally, I think it's pretty cool. :)

First to second seems like a big jump compared to the rest, and 9th and 10th seem ridiculously close. Second is 64% of first and 10th is 93% of 9th. I'm sure it's all designed to give the EcoBoost the best fuel economy.

Maybe a digital display of just the gear you are in would be preferable but I don't really see anything prohibitively stupidumb about this arrangement.

That's what most cars with auto-shift do. I think that is a better arrangement than showing every single gear.

• Like 1

That's what most cars with auto-shift do. I think that is a better arrangement than showing every single gear.

This isn't to really let you know what gear you're in though. It's to show you all of the gears so that you can lock out upper gears when towing or in mountains. There is +/- toggle on the gear selector for it.

Edited by blazerdude20

But the F150 isn't 'most cars'. :) Most cars don't allow you to lock out the top gears for towing either. The current F150 has the same setup so I expect it to stick around.

Now, how long before the Super Duty gets a 10 speed?

But the F150 isn't 'most cars'. :) Most cars don't allow you to lock out the top gears for towing either. The current F150 has the same setup so I expect it to stick around.

My source is telling me 2018MY. He has driven several of them and says they drive extremely well.

• Like 1

Gas and diesel both? That should be perfect for a '19 MY order for me. :)

Have no info on gas.. just know that they've been running around Dearborn for over a year with the 10speed and he has had several of them that he has driven for testing (all diesels). He has taken another buddy of mine for a ride in one (King Rancher).

He had thought that they would be in the 2017MY but waiting till order time to announce it to put one up on GM... but that didn't happen. My guess is 2017 "All new aluminum SD" was enough excitement and then for 2018 "All new 10 speed" would create another "got to have it" environment. Very smart IMO.

The other question would be.. does Ford at this moment have the capacity for the 10 speed in both F150 and SD trucks?? With the investment they announced, that could be the other reason at this moment to hold off a year.

So... strategic or capacity issues?? or a little of both?

Edited by blwnsmoke

I guess I am all for simple when it comes to displays. A simple icon can let me know I'm in towing mode instead of 10 icons indicating what gears are not available because I'm in towing mode.

qI96a.jpg

Granted I don't tow, so if the folks who actual do tow find it useful, then there ya go! I just dislike cluttered interfaces.