2017 Ford Fusion Sport First Drive

Not surprised at all about the weight. The MKZ is just under 4200 when fully equipped.

It would have been nice to see some acceleration numbers. On another forum, someone claimed to have run 13.8 in the quarter. Other sources have not had times that good. Honestly, I am not sure why Ford even bothered with this if it is no quicker than an SHO that has been around since the 2010 model year.

Not surprised at all about the weight. The MKZ is just under 4200 when fully equipped.

It would have been nice to see some acceleration numbers. On another forum, someone claimed to have run 13.8 in the quarter. Other sources have not had times that good. Honestly, I am not sure why Ford even bothered with this if it is no quicker than an SHO that has been around since the 2010 model year.

Motor Trend. Very, very disappointed in weight. If it is almost 4k lbs, then I have no hope for the MKZ or Conti being under 4k.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/fusion/2017/2017-ford-fusion-v-6-sport-first-drive-review/

I think you need to temper your expectations when it comes to weight...a regular FWD Fusion weighs in about 3500lbs...MKZ has more sound deadening materials etc, so its going to weigh even more then that..the Conti is a bigger car over all...it should weigh a bit less then the current D4

As for Ford bothering with the Fusion Sport...it should be faster then the SHO since it weighs nearly 500lbs less with nearly the same power. A tuned SHO is a different story though. Not to mention there are so many varibles with 1/4 times that can affect that the difference of .5 second or so can be affected by driver skill, track location, track conditions, etc. Lets wait till more of them get into people's hands to see what they can actually do.

According to Ford's website, the SHO weighs 4,343 lbs. According to Motor Trend, Fusion Sport weighs 3,982. MKZ with the 3.0 weighs 4,191.

I agree that before passing judgement on performance we need to see some more numbers from the usual sources as well as some numbers from the guys who frequent the tracks. The Fusion Sport Forums as well as Facebook posts are painting a less than stellar picture of the car's acceleration but we do not have a complete picture yet.

I agree that before passing judgement on performance we need to see some more numbers from the usual sources as well as some numbers from the guys who frequent the tracks. The Fusion Sport Forums as well as Facebook posts are painting a less than stellar picture of the car's acceleration but we do not have a complete picture yet.

IMO before got my SHO tuned, it wasn't nothing to write home about in the acceleration dept...but afterwards I could almost make my wife vomit with the advanced trac shut off LOL

• Like 3

IMO before got my SHO tuned, it wasn't nothing to write home about in the acceleration dept...but afterwards I could almost make my wife vomit with the advanced trac shut off LOL

Yes, I know that feeling.... :) However, most road tests of the stock SHO have reported low 5 second 0-60 times and 13.7 second or so quarter mile times. That was pretty impressive in 2010 and is nothing to sneeze at now. I was just hoping the Fusion with a newer higher tech engine and less weight would improve on those numbers pretty substantially.

I realize they want to keep the 3.0 exclusive to Lincoln but if that 400 HP/400 Torque engine was in the Fusion, it would be a very impressive performance sedan. My sense is that there are more performance oriented Fusion customers than there are performance oriented Lincoln customers.

I realize they want to keep the 3.0 exclusive to Lincoln but if that 400 HP/400 Torque engine was in the Fusion, it would be a very impressive performance sedan. My sense is that there are more performance oriented Fusion customers than there are performance oriented Lincoln customers.

They're saving it for the CD6 RWD performance sedans. ;)

• Like 2

Are people going to be entering Drag Races to win $$$? Why all the whining?

Or is it for one upsmanship at social gatherings? "My favorite car goes 0-60 .1 sec faster then yours in MT!" Whoopie!!!

It is a pretty big deal for enthusiasts who like performance, take our cars to the track, participate in social groups specific to our cars, etc. If performance wasn't important, they could have just stuck with the 4 cylinder and called it a day. I don't know what percentage of people will buy the Fusion Sport vs the other models but I suspect that the vast majority of Sport buyers do care about how quick their car is.

No whining from me. I just look forward to meeting up with a Fusion Sport at the track so I can spank it! ;)

I think it's about expectations, the Fusion is probably a more comfortable ride for most of their customers who expect less compromise to get the V6 Sport treatment. But CD4, like most Ford platforms, is extremely overweight so it's impossible to make that car feel light on its feet. I'm not sure why Ford can't get weight down, I assume it's a choice with benefits that are more important to them (unless it's cost and engineering related of course). I know that my MKX is powerful but it feels like a slug compared to a Ford Escape Titanium around town, you can't overcome simple physics. I do know that Ford tends to take the most complicated route to a solution, that's something they've always been good at because it probably saves money and allows them to scale the platform. Instead of limiting something to a single purpose, make something multi-purpose and bolt stuff onto them. Mustang is a good example of how a single purpose platform is better suited to its mission.

Edited by BORG

But CD4, like most Ford platforms, is extremely overweight so it's impossible to make that car feel light on its feet.

The only reason it weighs that much is because of the AWD system FFS

The CD4 pretty much dead smack in the middle of all of its competition curb weight wise.

According to the Honda site...the Accord Sport weighs in at 3549 lbs and the Touring Model (assuming it has the V6 also) weighs in at 3605 lbs

The Escape is no lightweight either...3500-3600lbs and the MKX tops out at 4300...which is only 600-700 lbs more...or roughly the same weight as an D4

You aren't going to have a light car unless you trade down to a Compact car or give up crash/amenities standards in bigger cars.

• Like 1

My take on the Fusion Sport is that its geared more for someone that wants more spunk out of their typical mid-size sedan and not give up a decent ride in the pursuit of performance.

I can see Ford doing a Fusion ST with the vectoring AWD system from the MKZ and a slight bump in power and suspension improvements. But at the same time, how much demand is there really for a say a 42K+ midsize sedan? The SHO topped out at $47K fully loaded and pretty has always carried a $3-4500K rebate on it..which is nearly 10% of the cost of the car.

Far too many people (well in the automotive journalists at least) wanted this to be a poor man's Audi S4, which really don't get since the Fusion is nearly 6 inches longer then it. Yet another reason why Lincoln could use a smaller car then the Fusion based MKZ..not as small as a Focus, but not as big as the Fusion.

• Like 1

WOW

I actually was trying to quote your Honda quote (still have no idea how!!!). Anyways, I like the Accord but if he is after driving dynamics and weight, why the hell would he not be driving the Mazda 6-which according to google is even less than the Accord-by a good margin-3179-3250lbs.

I am not defending Ford's weight problem (and I really would like to see them more on the lighter side than the porkier side of the industry) but if your going to bitch about the Fusion being heavy why not compare it to Mazda which offers great ride and handling at significant weight reduction.

Still think the Fusion Sport is going to be somewhat successful-if at the very least it pushed Ford to continue to develop these 1 off high performance products like the Focus RS, etc.

The only reason it weighs that much is because of the AWD system FFS

The CD4 pretty much dead smack in the middle of all of its competition curb weight wise.

According to the Honda site...the Accord Sport weighs in at 3549 lbs and the Touring Model (assuming it has the V6 also) weighs in at 3605 lbs

The Escape is no lightweight either...3500-3600lbs and the MKX tops out at 4300...which is only 600-700 lbs more...or roughly the same weight as an D4

You aren't going to have a light car unless you trade down to a Compact car or give up crash/amenities standards in bigger cars.

What?

The Fusion sport still weighs 400lbs more than the Accord.

The midsize Mazda6, Camry, Altima, malibu all wiegh much less than a similalrly Equiped Fusion.

IF the Fusion is "much dead smack in the middle of all of its competition curb weight wise"

Name 3 cars heavier than it, never-mind Name one midsize car heavier than the Fusion?