Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

The problem is that it would require a second set of stampings. The Wrangler is really unique in the fact that it doesn't have fixed enclosed area over the passenger area into the rear storage area. I don't see Ford going that route with the Bronco...I think they are correctly aiming at the market that wants a bit more refinement when it comes the interior.

that's why the 2 door version is still up in the air according to my source.

The problem is that it would require a second set of stampings. The Wrangler is really unique in the fact that it doesn't have fixed enclosed area over the passenger area into the rear storage area. I don't see Ford going that route with the Bronco...I think they are correctly aiming at the market that wants a bit more refinement when it comes the interior.

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

As for the Ranger, is there still time to lobby for the 2.7EB and 10-speed? How about an AWD option coupled with a 2-speed transfer case? In other words, a modern version of my 2007 Sport Trac 4x4 Limited V-8. ;)

My guess would be 2.0T base engine, 3.3L optional with the 2.7T as a Ford Performance version.

I guess now would be a good time to throw out there the Bronco is being based off of the 1973 version.

Awesome. Since there was not much difference between 1966 through 1977 (same body with mechanical upgrades) I guess it would be fair to say my '75 also fits that description.

post-22574-0-69238200-1483977750_thumb.jpg

My guess would be 2.0T base engine, 3.3L optional with the 2.7T as a Ford Performance version.

Not that I would be much interested, but any speculation as to a diesel option? Might they use the current 3.2L I-5, the 3.0L V-6 from the 2018 F-150 or what about the 2.7L V-6 turbo diesel from the Euro Lion series?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Wrangler only has 4 position seating. I could be wrong, though, because it's been quite a while since I've been in one.

Yeah, I would give up some amenities inside to drive a Bronco, but not to the level of Wrangler. Now, since our Flex is my wife's daily driver, I'm not sure if she would or not. :) I'm pretty excited to see what Ford does with the Bronco. The Flex will be up for replacement in 3 ish years, so the timing is perfect.

2-door wrangler seats 4, 4 door seats 5.

• Like 1

Do you think you will be able to remove the doors on the new Bronco?

Its not like it stops the idiots with the older Cherokees...its also illeagal. I think the Wrangler can get away with it because of its ride height (normal impact will hit the floor area with a car)

55qrue.jpg

Jeep advertising says the doors can only be removed for off-road use. Like that happens.

" Driving with the doors off and windshield down is for off-road use only."

Apparently there are a lot of people that didn't read that fine print. I would likely be in that category.

The police don't seem to mind it.

I'm actually starting to get the impression that the Bronco is replacing Everest in the global lineup and won't share much, if any from the Everest.

Wow! JPD can confirm this but I believe the current Everest is built in South Africa, India and China. Is it possible that the Bronco would be built in those plants as well or would it only be built at MAP? Seems more logical that those plants would continue with the Everest for their markets while MAP would cover the US and everywhere else with the Bronco. Either way, they are going to need more than just the NA market to support the capacity at MAP, even with the Ranger, right?

Jeep advertising says the doors can only be removed for off-road use. Like that happens.

" Driving with the doors off and windshield down is for off-road use only."

I've never seen anyone put the windshield down, but I see plenty of Wranglers running around with all 4 doors off.

Wow! JPD can confirm this but I believe the current Everest is built in South Africa, India and China. Is it possible that the Bronco would be built in those plants as well or would it only be built at MAP? Seems more logical that those plants would continue with the Everest for their markets while MAP would cover the US and everywhere else with the Bronco. Either way, they are going to need more than just the NA market to support the capacity at MAP, even with the Ranger, right?

The Everest and the Bronco strike me as two very different vehicles. I suspect if the Bronco replaces the Everest, the Bronco won't exactly be the vehicle I'm hoping for, as the Everest is a pretty traditional SUV.

They did say Bronco was going global so I'm just reading tea leaves

I'm thinking that Ford is well aware that the Wrangler has been selling like hotcakes for the last 5 years and will continue to do so. If they wanted to produce a similar new Bronco they could have done that sooner than 2020. Watch the entire NAIAS video, it's all about electrics coming faster than expected. My guess is maybe electric motor hubs, no drive train at all? If there is a fueled engine, maybe it's just an electricity generator? EV's with 300-400 mile ranges are already announced. Am I catching the drift of the video correctly? Or is 2020 too soon for that? It's looking like combustion engines will be obsolete in just a few years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QW_JB-IEzk

The police don't seem to mind it.

Well they are not street legal without the doors because they do not have exterior mirrors which are required under federal vehicle code. This mean that if they were involved in an accident being the vehicle is not street legal the fault of the accident moves to that vehicle as it was not legal for operation on public roads. FWIW Wranglers, pickups and luxury vehicles for various reasons are far less likely to be pulled over than a sports car, minivan, family sedan or middle of the road SUV.

It's looking like combustion engines will be obsolete in just a few years?

I don't see a major shift from Gasoline powered vehicles for at least another 10 years or so. Electric will become increasingly important as time goes on, but the issue is what are the states going to do to offset the lost of taxes on fuel sales? How is the electrical grid going to cope with the additional strain? If we are at 25-35% pure electric (no ICE) vehicles by 2025, I wouldn't be suprised...but anything above that would be very surprising.