Ford Trademarks the Nautilus Name - Lincoln Nautilus coming?

Ford has trademarked the name "Nautilus". I agree with "Logans Run" over at FIN (who is how I found out about this), that it seems more fitting as a Lincoln name than a Ford name.

I think ultimately the names "Aviator" and "Nautilus" will both be used......a few scenarios:
1) the MKX will become Nautilus, with Explorer-size model being Aviator, or
2) the Explorer-size model will be Nautilus (soon shown in concept form), and MKX becomes Aviator. Remember, when the MKX first debuted in 2007, it was to be called Aviator (there were even images released of it branded such), but then Lincoln decided to switch to their MK_ scheme.
3) The least likely, but also possible - MKC becomes Nautilus, with MKX becoming Aviator, both for their refreshes that are about to be revealed, with the Explorer model getting another name.

The question is - will they switch to names for refreshes, or will they wait until a redesign. We are about to see the MKC and MKX refreshes be revealed. I also think we will see an "Aviator" (Explorer-size) concept at one of the upcoming shows.....this trademark could mean they're swapping the names at refresh (scenario 3 above), or that a concept is indeed on the way.

Zephyr was reapplied for last year. Red Label and Green Label are also trademarked by Ford. I don't know if there are other company names they'd trademark under, but there are a lot of missing names on that list (could also be that they've expired?).

at the USTPO, you have to search "Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE" under the "Owner Name and Address" Field.

Maybe the rumored Lincoln Stang also?

If there is any Lincoln that should use the MK or Mark name it is this one.

Ford could also be doing it to keep trademarks and prevent other people from using the name. Toyota Edge in Australia is a good example of how you can screw other companies over keeping old trademarks current.

Edited by jasonj80

IMO the Aviator should be the Lincoln Explorer

The Zephyr name isn't great either IMO.

The MKX and MKC can keep there names for all I care too. Just look at all the other Luxury makers out there...outside of a very examples-none of them have proper names-just a mishmash of letters and numbers, reinforcing the Brand name as the calling card. I own a Lexus/Audi/Mercedes/BMW...etc.

• Like 1

IMO the Aviator should be the Lincoln Explorer

The Zephyr name isn't great either IMO.

The MKX and MKC can keep there names for all I care too. Just look at all the other Luxury makers out there...outside of a very examples-none of them have proper names-just a mishmash of letters and numbers, reinforcing the Brand name as the calling card. I own a Lexus/Audi/Mercedes/BMW...etc.

There's a Lincoln Ad, Show items in a store with random letters and numbers on boxes and cans, at the coffee shop menu/restaurant menu, "Shouldn't Luxury be more than Random numbers and letters"

• Like 1

Don't forget the original Lincoln Aviator was the Explorer's sister. That complicates matters for MKX/Explorer-sized vehicle with the name Aviator. Of course, 99% of people won't remember the Aviator concept became the MKX.

Oh I know, and I too think the Explorer-based model should be Aviator. I was just trying to think of possible scenarios that could occur.

If what I was told by a Lincoln rep a year ago holds true, NO Lincoln will be called Zephyr. It screams old. It also screams Fairmont clone to old people and Fusion clone to younger people. Sadly, those who might recall the original Lincoln Zephyr are no longer buying cars.

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 1

Do you have any other suggestions?

I think "Nautilus" sounds like some sort of pod car..maybe something autonomous.

I know it wasn't well-received by most members, but Cosmopolitan is a good heritage name. If nobody connotes that to a cocktail or a woman's magazine, I won't mention Captain Nemo. ;)

We'd talked before about LMC getting away from the "MK-" name convention and somebody here threw out Packard's legacy "Constellation" name. I think that is a great name, also.

...anything spacey related is good for me...nautilus reminds me of tread mills and sepsis infection...run a commercial with england dan or judy collins background music and i might not switch the telle channel

I like the name tranquilty..lincoln needs to be quiet and elegant in design, form and function and that name just fits for me...

Edited by snooter
  • Like 1

I hope they come up with something new and unique rather than resurrect an old name. As old names go, however, I have always like Torino but that would be better suited for a Ford. Lincoln had a concept a while back called the Sentinel but that doesn't really ring any bells for me, either.

• Like 1

Eek..that evokes mausoleums and feminine hygeine products.

Well there goes that name out the door..how bout the linvoln razorback?....in recognition of the bestus college sports teams in the country..the razorbacks...include big hog sticker on the hood too..would be lincolns signataure ride

Edited by snooter

...I like the name tranquilty...Lincoln needs to be quiet and elegant in design, form and function and that name just fits for me...

GREAT name for a new [bL] theme icon_thumbs1.gif

maybe name the interior Leather/suede colors: moonlight & apollo?

(could replace both Muse & Jade?)

btw, elsewhere I liked the Name 'Nautilus' for a Macan-fighter...fwiw

Edited by 2b2

You know it is evident even in our lil arguments here the difficulty in naming a new model....amount of money spent by the auto manufactures has to run into the millions in just trying to come up eith a name that inspires some inner emtion to buy that dam car or truck....i dont envy those marketing teams too much...gotta be a bitch job with high failure but also high reward if they get it right

Well there goes that name out the door..how bout the linvoln razorback?....in recognition of the bestus college sports teams in the country..the razorbacks...include big hog sticker on the hood too..would be lincolns signataure ride

Everybody associates Boss Hogg with Cadillac! ;)

GREAT name for a new [bL] theme icon_thumbs1.gif

maybe name the interior Leather/suede colors: moonlight & apollo?

(could replace both Muse & Jade?)

btw, elsewhere I liked the Name 'Nautilus' for a Macan-fighter...fwiw

Tranquility works as a design theme. Tanagra, even better. The leather/suede colors are Darmok and Jalad.

Hey..I'm just going with the space theme :doh:

...Tranquility works as a design theme. Tanagra, even better. The leather/suede colors are Darmok and Jalad.

Hey..I'm just going with the space theme :doh:

[Like] pending which planet/ficton you're talking about biggrin.gif

nevermind - going to google / too impatient

Reminds me of the way developers sometimes name their new subdivisions. I remember a class I took in school related to just that. Trends/Demographics, things that resonate with buyers. People paid money to come up with "Riverwalk", yet there's just a dried up retention pond. "Costa Del Sol" yet the place is wood frame hodge podge stick buildings. Now the in thing in my area is "mediterranean" influences. Lets confuse the poor kids trying to spell their street names, or the pizza delivery guy who can't understand now spell some of those italian names.