Why is it taking so long for the Bronco to come out?

Go back to what Raj Nair said,

Asked by McElroy if the new Bronco would be the North American version of the global-market Ford Everest, Nair said:

“No, it’s a separate vehicle. It will be an incremental vehicle from the Everest. The Everest kind of serves a lot of off-road

capability; maybe the space of the Explorer serves here in the U.S., but with a body-on-frame construction with a lot more

off-road capability for the rest of the world.

This Bronco is completely unique from that Everest. It is body-on-frame and so again, focusing on that off-road capability.”

Edited by jpd80

Similar is not same. Once you integrate common infotainment, HVAC, shifter knob, switches, et al, the center stack starts looking very familiar. The 2010/11 Focus dash looked a heck of a lot like the Escape of the same vintage, while being on different platforms. Same could be said of the Freestyle/Fusion.

Similar is not same. Once you integrate common infotainment, HVAC, shifter knob, switches, et al, the center stack starts looking very familiar. The 2010/11 Focus dash looked a heck of a lot like the Escape of the same vintage, while being on different platforms. Same could be said of the Freestyle/Fusion.

Edit: Disregard.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Most consumers have no idea what size engine their vehicle has much less which way it sits in the engine bay. If it looks like a Cherokee that's what they will compare it to.

But we're not talking about most consumers, we're talking about those who may be interested

in a Bronco and who now what they want, Body on frame Off road capable rugged SUV and

Not this:

2017-Jeep-Cherokee-Refresh.jpg

But we're not talking about most consumers, we're talking about those who may be interested

in a Bronco and who now what they want, Body on frame Off road capable rugged SUV

Yep--pretty much everything that Ford has said about the Bronco has clearly indicated that it is an enthusiast vehicle, not a vehicle for people who would drive a toaster if it'd get them to work.

• Like 1

Yep--pretty much everything that Ford has said about the Bronco has clearly indicated that it is an enthusiast vehicle, not a vehicle for people who would drive a toaster if it'd get them to work.

Exactly and as indicated previously,

Everest - is to Land Cruiser 120 / Prado as Bronco is to Jeep Renegade...I think it will be between the Renegade and

an older styled Cherokee because it is going to have to please a wider audience than just the Bronco purists but I'm still

convince that most will be pleased with the style and mix of equipment and power train....

Edited by jpd80

Everest - is to Land Cruiser 120 / Prado as Bronco is to Jeep Renegade...I think it will be between the Renegade and

an older styled Cherokee because it is going to have to please a wider audience than just the Bronco purists but I'm still

convince that most will be pleased with the style and mix of equipment and power train....

The Everest will still be around to satisfy the pavement poseurs.

Which is exactly why the Everest needs to be offered in North America as well as Western Europe and even Russia. While the chassis would be the same with the Bronco, the marketing and customer base would be two totally different segments and customers.

• Like 3

Everest is still a very off road capable vehicle, just like the Ranger but the styling is more to compete with the Landcruiser 120 (Prado)

and like Raj Nair said, Bronco will be an incremental vehicle off the Everest and definitely not the same vehicle with a different front.

Everest has not been linked to North America for obvious reasons, the Bronco will be a much better fit (regional preference) but I wonder

if other global markets could be swayed to take the Bronco over Everest...could be interesting.:)

I striked through the things that are never going to happen-There is no way there is going to be two different sets windows control- its downright stupid to have two different ways of opening windows when power windows are the default for just about everything on the market.

Manual transmission has a chance of about 10-20% happening-it gets higher if the Ranger has it. No way Ford spends the money to do another calibration with the EPA for emissions unless its demanded (manual with the Mustang) or engineering is easier (ST/RS models of FWD products)

Rest of it is doable IMO

Hey - a guy can still wish! :)

I get what you are saying - listing manual windows is a stretch - but my overall concept of different and simple got some positive feedback!

I get what you are saying - listing manual windows is a stretch - but my overall concept of different and simple got some positive feedback!

Maybe you'll get lucky and JC Whitney will have a conversion kit available to remove the powered mechanism and replace with a good ole crank...

That's for sure but I think the reality is that Ford will be making Bronco a well appointed truck with

basic features now expected by a broader audience of buyers, a mixture of rugged and civilized.

That's for sure but I think the reality is that Ford will be making Bronco a well appointed truck with

basic features now expected by a broader audience of buyers, a mixture of rugged and civilized.

This is the primary competition -

2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport comes standard with Manual Door Locks and Manual Windows.

Jeep makes the Wrangler Unlimited in three different trim levels: Sport, Sahara and Rubicon. Sport models come with air conditioning, removable soft top, manual door locks, manual windows, manual side mirrors, front and rear tow hooks, 16-inch steel wheels, foglights, cruise control, tilt-only steering wheel, driver’s seat height adjustment, 60/40 split fold rear seat and a sound system with six speakers, CD player, auxiliary audio input jack and steering wheel controls. An optional Power Convenience Group package adds power door locks, power windows, heated power side mirrors, keyless entry and an auto dimming rearview mirror. Stand-alone options include satellite radio, leather wrapped steering wheel and 17-inch alloy wheels.

https://www.truecar.com/m/reviews/jeep/wrangler-unlimited-pricing/2017/698A0571/

Don't want to make this a big debate - my overall point is there are so many choices already for Mom's car pool SUV. In my humble opinion, having what you really need, and not having what you don't need are equally important. However, I am not the designer of the vehicle - only one potential customer.

My neighbor has a F150 Platinum as his daily driver, and a very basic Jeep Wrangler Sport (with manual windows etc) as his favorite play toy. Yes they can indeed co-exist!

Everest is still a very off road capable vehicle, just like the Ranger but the styling is more to compete with the Landcruiser 120 (Prado)

and like Raj Nair said, Bronco will be an incremental vehicle off the Everest and definitely not the same vehicle with a different front.

Everest has not been linked to North America for obvious reasons, the Bronco will be a much better fit (regional preference) but I wonder

if other global markets could be swayed to take the Bronco over Everest...could be interesting. :)

I think Bronco will be a little smaller than Everest. Sort of like the size difference between Toyota Forturner and Prado - 5 seats vs. 7 seats.

It will be interesting to see if Ford put in the requirement for RHD for Bronco. Engineering is not an issue because Ranger and Everest are already RHD. So it's a matter of simple return on investment for RHD interior. Outside of US, I can see Bronco selling in South America, Middle East, Russia, China, Southern Africa, and Australia.

Edited by bzcat

I think Bronco will be a little smaller than Everest. Sort of like the size difference between Toyota Forturner and Prado - 5 seats vs. 7 seats.

It will be interesting to see if Ford put in the requirement for RHD for Bronco. Engineering is not an issue because Ranger and Everest are already RHD. So it's a matter of simple return on investment for RHD interior. Outside of US, I can see Bronco selling in South America, Middle East, Russia, China, Southern Africa, and Australia.

To my knowledge MAP has never built anything in RHD, nor is it set up to build anything in RHD. Perhaps they might factor that into the retooling work since MAP will be the only source globally for the Bronco.

Isn't the Renegade just cheap Hipster-bait?

I want the Bronco to be on another level (preferable higher)

See this is why (and also my fault for) trying to compare other existing vehicles to what we expect from a Bronco

can become very misleading as people tend to take examples too literally.

Perhaps we leave it at a more chunky looking SUV styled vehicle that pays respect to past Broncos

while looking completely different to Everest

To my knowledge MAP has never built anything in RHD, nor is it set up to build anything in RHD. Perhaps they might factor that into the retooling work since MAP will be the only source globally for the Bronco.

What kind of investment/changes do you need to make in a plant to build RHD? (it's a serious question... I don't know)

Some design and engineering costs will be incurred as Ford will have to model out crash impact with steering wheels and offset crash structure reinforcements on different sides. And you'll need suppliers to create 2nd set of plastic molds for some interior trim pieces.

Maybe assembly process may have to be modified? What did Ford do to Flat Rock to assemble RHD Mustang?

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

What kind of investment/changes do you need to make in a plant to build RHD? (it's a serious question... I don't know)

Some design and engineering costs will be incurred as Ford will have to model out crash impact with steering wheels and offset crash structure reinforcements on different sides. And you'll need suppliers to create 2nd set of plastic molds for some interior trim pieces.

Maybe assembly process may have to be modified? What did Ford do to Flat Rock to assemble RHD Mustang?

I'm not sure, I think it might have to do with plant layout? It wasn't a big deal for FRAP to build the RHD mustang because they used to build right hand drive models in the past (I think it was the Probe, but I can't remember for sure) and not much has changed since then.