2019 Ford Ranger Speculation thread

Existing Ranger is already leaps and bounds better than ROW Corolado and the MCE is not unlike what GM did to the ROW Colorado to bring it up to US market standards - new drivetrains and interior. Except Ford is doing it for the entire world, not just US market.

Correct, the Colorado in ROW markets is considered a Tuk Tuk in comparison to leaders like Hilux and Ranger

The newer Colorado is much improved thanks to US involvement in the project and grandfathering to ROW

but it's going to take a product cycle to change the mind set of buyers.

Ranger was developed years ago now with plenty of development head room built in, it's not like Ranger

is way behind the curve as most manufacturers have only just catching up to it.

I was shocked to discover that in Australia, around 85% of sales are the bigger 3.2 I-5 engine and 4x4 Crew cab

No wonder most of the sales are at least $55K and up, absolutely sensational product mix.

Edited by jpd80

Here is the interesting part

A version of that new engine WILL be coming to the US !

The high series 2.0 Ecoblue is very close to the 3.2 I-5 Puma in power and torque,

204 HP/335 lbft versus 201 HP / 350 lb ft...

With a 10-speed auto, it would find a lot of friends in the USA...

Well Wiz, the first headline "Ranger XLT spied driving around Allen Park" got rejected....lol

Grandpa moment....

I think you could park it outside at the moment and get a good feel for 30 below conditions....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Dana is also the current supplier of Ranger differentials, must be going to a different newer design... (like Jeep?)

If it's a Dana 44 that thing has been around for eons. My '75 Bronco has a Dana 44 front axle. The good thing is that there would be lots of aftermarket support already out there.

• Like 1

Ford winter test trips used to be to Sault Ste. Marie or more commonly Bemidji, MN. Last I have heard, they go to Yellowknife. At Bemidji, they would rent hangers at the airport.

One of the crazy test they used to do was park the vehicle outside facing into the wind and leave them overnight. Diesels were not allowed to use their block heaters. To pass the test, the vehicle need to start within 30 second, and drive away and not stall within 1 additional minute. With the nose into the wind, the underhood area would pack solid with snow. Even after hours of driving there was still quite a bit of snow in there.

Ford winter test trips used to be to Sault Ste. Marie or more commonly Bemidji, MN. Last I have heard, they go to Yellowknife. At Bemidji, they would rent hangers at the airport.

One of the crazy test they used to do was park the vehicle outside facing into the wind and leave them overnight. Diesels were not allowed to use their block heaters. To pass the test, the vehicle need to start within 30 second, and drive away and not stall within 1 additional minute. With the nose into the wind, the underhood area would pack solid with snow. Even after hours of driving there was still quite a bit of snow in there.

We heard stories from a former Ford engineer about doing winter testing on the Lincoln LS in Yellowknife. It sounded brutal.

My first Ranger was a well used '83 2wd long bed with the 2.3L and an auto trans. It was a real slug but I only bought it so I wouldn't have to drive my new '89 Supercoupe during the winter months. Anyway, during one trip in a snowstorm on the PA turnpike I had to stop several times to clean out the snow packed air cleaner because the snorkle ran up and caught air (and snow) from behind the grille. Not one of Ford's better ideas.

I eventually swapped the 2.3L and auto for a 5.0L and T-5 but that's a whole 'nother story.

The downside is that the D44 is a decidedly weaker differential than the 8.8 is (especially vs the 31-spline 8.8). Considering the old US Ranger had an 8.8 (even the 4 bangers got them for '10-'11), I can't help but view it as a downgrade versus the old truck.

Apparently not all D44's are created equal. There is the old style Dana 44 like in my '75 Bronco which has a 10 bolt cover and is different than the pics of the new Ranger diff and then there is what's called the Dana Spicer Super 44 which uses a 12 bolt cover and looks exactly the same to me as the one in the new Ranger pics.

Not sure if this is applicable but I did find this on an old dynatrac.com blog:

Here’s where it gets confusing: the next generation Dana 44 uses a different sized ring gear depending on whether it is a front or rear axle. The front uses the old, 8.5-inch diameter ring gear, while the rear uses an 8.8-inch ring gear. Both the front and rear have larger diameter pinion shafts and pinion bearings with larger inside and outside diameters. The larger diameter of these components contribute to strength and stability. On the front, however, the pinion bearings are closer together compared to the first generation Dana 44. The rear has them spaced out, similar to a first gen for even greater strength.

The carrier bearings are slightly larger in diameter with the new generation Dana 44 found in Rubicon models. Another difference is found in the design of the differential. The cross-pin in the Rubicon next-gen 44 is not in the same place as the first gen, requiring different length axleshafts. The Rubicon model next-gen 44 front axleshafts also used larger steering joints and had more beef around the joints. The non-Rubicon JKs only came with a Dana 44 rear axle. The differential and carrier bearings in the non-Rubicon models are the same as the older generation 44s.

Shoulda called it the "Dana 45" lol. Since the 50 already exists and what not.....

Hmmm. Seems Dana/Spicer has gone metric. The 2018 Rubicon actually uses a new axle called the Dana M220. Haven't found a lot of info on it yet other than the typical internet forum chatter. It must be an upgrade from the D44 though. I assume the 220 refers to the ring gear dia in millimeters which would equate to 8.66". According to Dana the M220 is rated at 7400 nm (5458 lb ft).

What is really confusing is that the "Super 44" cover sold by the aftermarket appears to have the same 12 bolt pattern on the cover as the M220. :headscratch:

Edited by blksn8k2

New Ranger caught completely undisguised in Thailand...

New grille for sure. And they fixed the funky cutout in the tailgate.

https://www.motor1.com/news/226105/2019-ford-ranger-spotted-undisguised/

2019-ford-ranger-uncovered.jpg

If by cutout you mean the part below the Ford badge, it's still there, just not as noticeable in that color/lighting.

I hope they don't write RANGER that big on ours.....it looks ridiculous.

Edited by rmc523

To pass the test, the vehicle need to start within 30 second, and drive away and not stall within 1 additional minute. With the nose into the wind, the underhood area would pack solid with snow. Even after hours of driving there was still quite a bit of snow in there.

I can tell you this--it hasn't gotten above the teens here for several days, with the windchill hovering around 0*F. My F-150 took a split second longer than normal (despite sitting for almost two full days), but it still started almost immediately.

I really don't miss carburetors and chokes on days like these...

I eventually swapped the 2.3L and auto for a 5.0L and T-5 but that's a whole 'nother story.

I seriously considered that with my '97 Ranger, but I ended up trading it and my '67 Ranger to my dad for a '91 F-150 4x4 5.0 instead.

I keep thinking that I'll pick up another Ranger and do that V8 swap...

Edited by SoonerLS