2021 Mustang on CD6

Not if the FWD version is longitudinal. You’re just disconnecting the rear driveshaft and eliminating the rear differential.

Go back a step as if you're starting from a CD4 with transverse FWD, if you turn the engine north south,

the best way to fit it in an existing engine bay without to much tear up may be with a front sump..

That way , Ford could keep a lot of the engineering common save for an engine cradle...

• Like 1

Go back a step as if you're starting from a CD4 with transverse FWD, if you turn the engine north south,

the best way to fit it in an existing engine bay without to much tear up may be with a front sump..

That way , Ford could keep a lot of the engineering common save for an engine cradle...

I don’t see a need for anything smaller than a 2.3T in any CD6 vehicle. And Ford already has longitudinal 2.3T, 2.7T, 3.0T, 3.3, 3.5, 3.5T, 3.7, 5.0 and 5.2 engines not counting the 6.2 and new 7.x.

I dont understand why Ford never made a Lincoln at the base of Mustang. Maybe with CD6, and Mustamg hybrid propulsion, thats possible.

If you want to go back a few years, they had the Mark VIII and didn't need a Mustang-based car. Then came DEW-98. Then came the PAG debacle, and Lincoln hitting the skids. Then came 2006 and Lincoln being on the chopping block with Mercury. After that, Lincoln was playing small ball, going for base hits instead of swinging for the bleachers, and a Mustang-based coupe didn't fit the plan. Now that Lincoln is stable and profitable, a Mustang-based coupe fits in with their plan.

what if Fusion makes it to CD6? They should keep the EB2.0 and 1.5.

That’s where they have to make a decision. If they want to use smaller engines they may need to put it on a long C3. If they keep it on CD6 then it becomes more of a high performance vehicle (Thunderbird).

Not sure it makes sense to do a transverse small engine CD6 or do longitudinal smaller engines. But I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

I don’t see a need for anything smaller than a 2.3T in any CD6 vehicle. And Ford already has longitudinal 2.3T, 2.7T, 3.0T, 3.3, 3.5, 3.5T, 3.7, 5.0 and 5.2 engines not counting the 6.2 and new 7.x.

My point was more that a CD4 could maintain most of its FWD proportion and be converted to a North South RWD

without an awrful lot of tear up under the hood or crash protection zone. The existing RWD engine line up is formidable.

Aussie Falcon had RWD version of EB 2.0 and a ZF 6HP transmission, validation was done using two global Rangers in 2008

Edited by jpd80

As I said last night, Edge is moving to CD6. I don't know anything about what it will be in the powertrain but based on what I saw it looks to still be FWD to me.

You sound very confident in that statement !

My gut says, "I don't think so !" I see Edge and Fusion staying where they are with the future possibility of them sharing a FWD platform with Focus and Escape.

But that is just me rambling on.

this new 8-speed transmission (Focus 4, Nautilus, Edge...) box was developed by Ford? Or is it ZF?

It was co-developed with GM. Originally it was going to be a 9 speed. But Ford didn't like something about its behavior in 9 speed version. So they switched to 8 speed. But GM is still going ahead with 9 speed.

Both companies are using their own computers and programming to control the new trans though.

Edited by 92merc

this new 8-speed transmission (Focus 4, Nautilus, Edge...) box was developed by Ford? Or is it ZF?

It was a joint venture between Ford and GM.

changing the subject, I'd love to see a Mustang-based Lincoln hybrid CD6 with +700HP to rival Corvette. Quem sabe um mid-engine Lincoln (wow, luxury GT)

No. Corvette and Mustang arent the same class.
  • Like 1

You sound very confident in that statement !

My gut says, "I don't think so !" I see Edge and Fusion staying where they are with the future possibility of them sharing a FWD platform with Focus and Escape.

But that is just me rambling on.

I am. Someone working on the project told me this. I even saw what it looks like.
  • Like 1

Seriously though, I much prefer turning around my truck compared to my wife's Flex. Visibility is SOOO much better in the truck, and the 360* camera system is a godsend!

My mom's Flex is pretty easy to turn around, but the backup camera makes a big difference.

Of course, when I back into my parking place at my house, the cross-traffic warning system gets all upset because of the box blade off to the side...

My mom's Flex is pretty easy to turn around, but the backup camera makes a big difference.

Of course, when I back into my parking place at my house, the cross-traffic warning system gets all upset because of the box blade off to the side...

Our Flex doesn't have the camera, so it's about like backing up blindfolded...especially at night.

Our Flex doesn't have the camera, so it's about like backing up blindfolded...especially at night.

Yeah, I can't imagine trying to back one up without the camera. That thing is one big blind spot...

Also, Mustang and F150 just so akirby will be confused about where to move this post. :hat_tip:

• Like 2

Re: Edge CD6

I think it makes sense if you think about Ford's strategy on PHEV path which is focused on CD6 and F-150.

Someone brought up the investment in C3 if Edge (and perhaps Fusion) is moving to CD6... I think that's overblown concern. There are still going to be a lot of volume on C3, including vehicles we haven't even seem or know about.

I've mentioned before, I think C3 will not have PHEV because Ford will be looking at BEV solution for something smaller than Edge/Fusion. So Edge, which requires PHEV going forward, is a good candidate to migrate to CD6. But that doesn't mean it will be RWD. I think market demand and segmentation dictates that it will remain FWD.

What's funny is that some buyers (we all know the type) have become convinced that rwd is some sort of big crutch or penalty in the snow. In reality, there's very little difference other than the back end swings out when you lose traction on a rwd vs the front end disobeying steering input when you lose traction with a fwd. Both can and will get you in a wreck if you're not expecting it and don't know how to counteract it. But the whole issue is way overblown if we're down to the point of certain segments demanding fwd. People have to remember that this all started when Ford and GM discovered the assembly line benefits of FWD and went on an ad campaign touting fwd as some kind of miracle for snow based on the fact there's slightly more weight over the front axle in a typical passenger car.