Ford Bet on Aluminum Trucks, but Is Still Looking for Payoff

On the subject of aluminum, I remember in the 60's early 70's in the bulk transport world, aluminum frames were the hot item for tandem tractors. Today, I don't think anyone offers such a thing. 120,000 lb steel frames and good design took the place of aluminum. Some of those aluminum frames were like 1/2" thick. Don't remember what they had for inserts but for sure remember those 1/2"thick flanges.

And the aluminum used by Ford today is i'm sure far more sophisticated than the aluminum used in heavy vehicles 40 years ago. I guess we should thank the military spec builders for that progress right?

But I'm sure we will soon be hearing Howie Long spouting about the superiority of GM's new lightweight composite Silverados. heaven forebid that they mention aluminum.

That is going to be "the next big thing" ....an aluminum or aluminum alloy frame...

The drop in weight in high series F150 4x4 crew cans was significantly less than the often quoted 700 lbs

and depending on newer options like moon roofs, the change could be as little as 300 lbs.

While I get what you say with increased payload, the reason was actually that Ford wanted to continue

building as many those lifestyle trucks as buyers wanted.without running foul of CAFE.

CAFE requires Ford to test the heaviest versions of its trucks and use that data for for all 4x4 crew cabs.

Payload is more important in work trucks like XL and XLT but trailer down force is also important for retail buyers who tow.

Comparably equipped trucks lost 750 lbs. Of course it's going to be heavier when you add the big, heavy moonroof in. That's why Ford need to go aluminum. These trucks would only have 1000 lbs of payload (or even less like the Ram EcoDiesel) if they were 750 lbs heavier. You can't haul anything once you load it up with 4 people. Payload is more important in the loaded Platinum and Limited trucks because all those goodies eat into available payload.

Comparably equipped trucks lost 750 lbs. Of course it's going to be heavier when you add the big, heavy moonroof in. That's why Ford need to go aluminum. These trucks would only have 1000 lbs of payload (or even less like the Ram EcoDiesel) if they were 750 lbs heavier. You can't haul anything once you load it up with 4 people. Payload is more important in the loaded Platinum and Limited trucks because all those goodies eat into available payload.

But most of those lifestyle trucks probably don't haul or tow much and when they do it's predominantly towing not hauling in a short bed.

If more capacity is needed then Ford rightly points them to F250 and probably the $8K diesel option to boot.

The truth is that there were several very good reasons to reduce the weight of F150 all of which adds up to a much better package.

The 3.0 Diesel will now build on that and seriously gap Ram's Ecodiesel in both fuel economy and towing heavier trailer loads

I also look forward to Chevrolet living up to its boast of best in class performance and fuel economy for the 3.0 I-6 diesel,

getting +30 mpg and towing moree then 12,000 lbs will be a massive feat.

Edited by jpd80

But most of those lifestyle trucks probably don't haul or tow much and when they do it's predominantly towing not hauling in a short bed.

If more capacity is needed then Ford rightly points them to F250 and probably the $8K diesel option to boot.

The truth is that there were several very good reasons to reduce the weight of F150 all of which adds up to a much better package.

The 3.0 Diesel will now build on that and seriously gap Ram's Ecodiesel in both fuel economy and towing heavier trailer loads

I also look forward to Chevrolet living up to its boast of best in class performance and fuel economy for the 3.0 I-6 diesel,

getting +30 mpg and towing moree then 12,000 lbs will be a massive feat.

There are plenty of folks towing 6-8k lb travel trailers with their loaded F150's. If you are towing 8k, you need 10-15% on the tongue, which translates to 8-1200 lbs of payload used up by the trailer. Add in 2 adults, 3 kids, a dog, and 250 lbs of firewood and such in the bed, and you are at 2k lbs. That's payload. Try that in an F150 that weighs 750 lbs more, and it ain't gonna happen. That's what many trucks get used for, and to me, that is a HUGE reason to go to Al in the F150.

• Like 1

There are plenty of folks towing 6-8k lb travel trailers with their loaded F150's. If you are towing 8k, you need 10-15% on the tongue, which translates to 8-1200 lbs of payload used up by the trailer. Add in 2 adults, 3 kids, a dog, and 250 lbs of firewood and such in the bed, and you are at 2k lbs. That's payload. Try that in an F150 that weighs 750 lbs more, and it ain't gonna happen. That's what many trucks get used for, and to me, that is a HUGE reason to go to Al in the F150.

Yeah, but have you seen the tow ratings on the Limited? That is what's limited about them...

Max slide in payload on a 2014 crew cab was 1450 lbs, supercab 1500 lbs and 2380 lbs for single cab

Passengers are already taken into account due to reduction in payload from single cabs 2380 lbs

I dont see the problem as many of those owners towed with the older gen trucks for years. Ive towed 7700 lbs with a diesel crew cab T6 Ranger that was its limit for sure but F150 is a much bigger truck to begin with

Originally, I thought you were referring to owners wanting to tow maximum 12,000 lbs towing

That would be difficult with a high end model optioned out

Edited by jpd80

With all due respect, payload schmayload. People are afraid to load their trucks so the bumper drops more than 1 inch.

What people really want isn't true truck payload, it's how much weight they can carry while still driving it like a Mustang GT.

• Like 2

Max slide in payload on a 2014 crew cab was 1450 lbs, supercab 1500 lbs and 2380 lbs for single cab

Passengers are already taken into account due to reduction in payload from single cabs 2380 lbs

I dont see the problem as many of those owners towed with the older gen trucks for years. Ive towed 7700 lbs with a diesel crew cab T6 Ranger that was its limit for sure but F150 is a much bigger truck to begin with

Originally, I thought you were referring to owners wanting to tow maximum 12,000 lbs towing

That would be difficult with a high end model optioned out

Actually passengers are NOT taken into account on payload. A regular cab has higher payload because it weighs less. Payload is the total available weight you can carry and be under max GVWR. If payload is 1500 lbs and you have 5 guys weighing 200 lbs each, you can only put 500 lbs in the bed and not be over GVWR.

Actually passengers are NOT taken into account on payload. A regular cab has higher payload because it weighs less. Payload is the total available weight you can carry and be under max GVWR. If payload is 1500 lbs and you have 5 guys weighing 200 lbs each, you can only put 500 lbs in the bed and not be over GVWR.

On a 145" WB crew yes but with the 157" wheelbase crew, you could order the HD pack which upped the GVWR to 8200 lbs

I think that was their way around that with 3,000 combined payload but really, you're getting into Super Duty territory at that.

Increasing payload by around 600 lbs helped the 145" Aluminum Crew cabs to be much more usable - I really see that now :).

I get your point and concede that weight reduction is important in the heavier models for very good reasons that are

not always apparent until you try to use your truck to do something.like hauling or towing with passengers on board.

Clearly Ford answered the needs of truck owners and its own needs together by using Aluminum bodies.

Edited by jpd80

And really it all comes down to the ratings placed on the truck to keep it in the same class. Over 7700 lbs (I think thats the correct number) and it becomes a class 2 truck. For instance, the F350 DRW truck has a higher payload than an F450 pickup because they both have a GVWR of 14k to be in class 3. The F450 is obviously heavier due to the bigger components so it has less weight for cargo before exceeding 14k. Class ratings are all made up numbers by the government anyway.

as far as the Limited F-150 is concerned...its sprung softer than the regular F-150s a s well.

That should be obvious from the tow ratings--they're far lower (a ton or more) than other F-150s of the same wheelbase, engine, and cab configurations--but I can't say that I've ever driven a Limited, so it's good to hear that from someone who knows. They're a bit too rich for my blood...

A buddy of mine had a 76 Lincoln Town Car for a while back in college. The rear couch was made of blue leather. We put dual exhaust on the de-smogged 460 with turbo mufflers dumped right in front of the rear axle. The ensuing rumble was easily capable of setting off car alarms in the parking garage. We'd cruise all over campus in that thing taking turns chauffeuring each other and anyone else that wanted a ride. Man those were the days!

• Like 1

My first car was a 1976 Olds Cutlass 2 door - baby blue with a white vinyl roof and a blue velour interior!

I was the reason my parents got rid of a nice gold Mustang (there wasn't room for 3 kids) and traded it for a '77 Old Cutlass 2 door - red with red vinyl roof and red velour interior.

The Mid 1970s till the early 1980s has me completely baffled at what people thought looked "good"

My dad had a 78 Dodge Magnum XE that had every option available. It was "Light Cashmere" (burnt yellow) with a crap brown top, crap brown pin stripping, and a two tone burnt yellow & crap brown leather interior. I remember thinking how atrocious that thing looked back then...my dad thought it was "gorgeous". I rewarded him by backing that ugly thing into his 1977 Peterbilt 379. He soon went and traded it for a 1979 Magnum that was white with a burn yer freakin' retinas red interior. He was upset with me because they discontinued the 400 after 78 and he could only get "that puny 360" engine.

• Like 1