Ford Bet on Aluminum Trucks, but Is Still Looking for Payoff

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/business/ford-f150-aluminum-trucks.html

Ford expected aluminum to give its truck a critical advantage in an era of tougher fuel-economy standards and rising gasoline prices. The company also thought the truck would pull customers away from General Motors and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, and command prices high enough to increase Ford’s profit, despite aluminum’s higher cost.

But the revolutionary switch seems to be giving Ford less of an edge than it had hoped.

With moderate gasoline prices, fuel economy is no longer a persuasive factor for many truck buyers. While sales are brisk, F-Series trucks — including the F-150 and the brawnier Super Duty — have only slightly increased their share of the full-size pickup truck segment since the aluminum models arrived. Their share is actually lower than it was in 2013.

Moreover, the lightweight metal has become one of several factors weighing down Ford’s profitability. In 2017, the company’s income in North America fell 17 percent, in part because of rising steel and aluminum prices.

Edited by Anthony

You sure that article wasn't written by GM? Actually, Wall street speculators. The quote below instantly lost at me at the credibility. If they understood Ford's approach to the F150 is that it is constantly being updated and improved. We don't even know how good or bad the RAM or Silverado will be. Also, Chevy uses aluminum sparingly because I think they don't want to go all in (so they can still use the bear commercials) and cost is cheaper.

“Ford will have the oldest truck on the market, so it’s not going to get easier from here,” Mr. Lache said.

But market share is less then in 2013 with record sales?!

I guess maybe because Colorado/Canyon returned?

I like how the article tries to blame decreasing profitability on F-series being made out of aluminum, as if that's the problem at Ford. While the rising cost of aluminum is a concern, Ford has much larger problems, and F-series is NOT one of them. What a stupid article.

• Like 3

Possible if the overall market increased more (especially if they’re including Canyorado).

However, that doesn’t mean Ford could have gotten that additional market share with F series. You’re not going to get loyal GM or RAM fans to buy a Ford no matter what. And especially if the others gained market share by cutting prices or risky financing. I think Ford is in the sweet spot as far as factory capacity, ATPs and sales volume.

You sure that article wasn't written by GM? Actually, Wall street speculators. The quote below instantly lost at me at the credibility. If they understood Ford's approach to the F150 is that it is constantly being updated and improved. We don't even know how good or bad the RAM or Silverado will be. Also, Chevy uses aluminum sparingly because I think they don't want to go all in (so they can still use the bear commercials) and cost is cheaper.

“Ford will have the oldest truck on the market, so it’s not going to get easier from here,” Mr. Lache said.

Yeah its not like the F-150 already hasn't had refresh since it came out and is being constantly updated for the next 2-3 years. I'm assuming we'll see a second gen Alu truck in 2020 or so

A lot of the conjecture of market percentage evaporates when you realize that Ford has three truck plants

running three shifts and basically selling everything they make at an average of $44,700

Aluminum was not about superior economy, it was about loading up the highly profitable 4x4 crew cabs with

as many options as possible without running foul of CAFE. It is by far their most profitable line bar none

and in February, F Series sales of +68K outsold the combined total of GM's mid and full sized trucks.

The market is starting to cool now, so it will be interesting to see if GM gets the same lift in sales as the

AL F series did, I have a feeling that they won't have a "watershed moment" like F series because

gm has chosen a more evolutionary path and with that, there's no tech "ace" over Ford.

Edited by jpd80

Yet another reason why Ranger should have been brought back 3 years ago

even if done in 2011, it would have allowed Ford to put Focus production at Cuautitlan instead of Fiesta.

but absolutely agree that Ford missed the bus on Mid Sized trucks, we understand why they didn't bring Ranger

but that doesn't mean we all liked or agreed with the decision.

Edited by jpd80

We're slowly getting closer to 2030. That's the year I'll render my final judgement on the decision to go aluminum with F Series. I find 15 years to be an optimal test period for new automotive tech. Failure or success is usually quite obvious by then.

But dayum, that loomnum body sure worked out well on the super duty in the eye candy dept. That's the best looking truck Ford has made since at least 1986, possibly earlier even.

3 years ago few people thought it was a good idea. 3 years ago most posters at this site claimed a 7/8 truck would only cannibalize more profitable F-150 sales.

Yes, I'm thinking the next one will be a 2021 showing up in 2020.

Farley said as much. Said the hybrid would arrive in 2020.

That too would've technically resulted in a lower F-series marketshare. Ford truck sales would've gained, but not F-series.

Also, Chevy uses aluminum sparingly because I think they don't want to go all in (so they can still use the bear commercials) and cost is cheaper.

That's the sensible approach. Aluminum is a good choice for certain parts of a pickup truck, such as hood, wheels, tailgate, etc. Ford went overboard with aluminum use in F-150. Especially for the bed. The article in the OP is correct. Compared to the costs of using aluminum so extensively, the benefits to Ford and to F-150 customers are not as much as Ford originally expected.

Good news is that Ford may have learned their lesson. New 2019 Ranger (my next truck!) uses aluminum appropriately and sparingly.

But dayum, that loomnum body sure worked out well on the super duty in the eye candy dept. That's the best looking truck Ford has made since at least 1986, possibly earlier even.

I'll just leave these here:

post-22073-0-16589300-1520012556_thumb.jpg post-22073-0-12137700-1520012565_thumb.jpg

Ford went overboard with aluminum use in F-150. Especially for the bed.

According to who? GM? I'm fine with the Al bed in mine, as are most folks that are buying these trucks to the tune of about one truck every 36 seconds.

• Like 4