When will the Ranger be available?

Geez. When I bought my SHO in '95, it was the highest priced Ford you could buy, topping out at around $25K. Now we're talking about a Ranger starting at $27K.

Now get off my damn lawn, and get a haircut, ya stinking hippies!

Im thinking that for the mid-level XLT trim. I would think the base XL would be somewhere in the low 20s.

Geez. When I bought my SHO in '95, it was the highest priced Ford you could buy, topping out at around $25K. Now we're talking about a Ranger starting at $27K.

Ain't that the truth! My '17 SD cost nearly 3x what my '99 F150 was (now granted, it's 3x the truck with 2/3 more seats, 2x as many doors, 2x the HP and 3.5x the torque, and 3x as many air bags). It still didn't cost as much as our first house though! :)

Yeah not right away. But keep in mind that it's going to be hard to sell a lot of Rangers for $28k when you can buy an equivalent F150 for $25k.

Also, I'm guessing the big deals will come out on the Ranger when the "new T6" is ready to launch.

I think they'd rather sell you an F-150 anyway...

Ford has been heavily subsidizing the F150 XLTs to the tune of $4K-$5K incentives for the last couple of years. With those incentives a nicely equipped XLT supercab 2WD is around $34K. Incentives on Lariats and higher are typically only $1250 or so.

They might use Ranger to fill that gap and raise F150 XLT up to $37K or $38K and let the Ranger fill in below that at $32K-$34K.

Adjusting for inflation $25,000 in 1995 is now $41,500.

• Like 2

Ford has been heavily subsidizing the F150 XLTs to the tune of $4K-$5K incentives for the last couple of years. With those incentives a nicely equipped XLT supercab 2WD is around $34K. Incentives on Lariats and higher are typically only $1250 or so.

They might use Ranger to fill that gap and raise F150 XLT up to $37K or $38K and let the Ranger fill in below that at $32K-$34K.

Bingo!

You will see XLT F-150 sometimes cheaper than Ranger. Ranger is more of a specialty and driveway product, some people don't want a gigantic truck and are willing to pay for that. They compete in different markets. The incentives on Pickups now is actually beyond crazy, you can get Denali GMC's for the low 40's on a truck that stickers in the low 60's. Silverados are cheaper than Colorados. XLT 4x4 f-150's can be had for under 30K.

Edited by jasonj80

You will see XLT F-150 sometimes cheaper than Ranger. Ranger is more of a specialty and driveway product, some people don't want a gigantic truck and are willing to pay for that. They compete in different markets. The incentives on Pickups now is actually beyond crazy, you can get Denali GMC's for the low 40's on a truck that stickers in the low 60's. Silverados are cheaper than Colorados. XLT 4x4 f-150's can be had for under 30K.

Are they really giving people money back though (incentives), or in reality just making less by charging what they could've all along?

Are they really giving people money back though (incentives), or in reality just making less by charging what they could've all along?

The market dictates what people will pay, you can always charge less but that is less profit which means less dollars to spend on R&D, employee compensation and shareholder value.

I don't think Ford or GM wanted to go down this path, but RAM is going crazy with the consumer discounts; The market today reminds me a lot of '06-'07 which is scary. There is a downturn coming and the longer the crazy incentive market goes the harder the landing is going to be.

The market dictates what people will pay, you can always charge less but that is less profit which means less dollars to spend on R&D, employee compensation and shareholder value.

I don't think Ford or GM wanted to go down this path, but RAM is going crazy with the consumer discounts; The market today reminds me a lot of '06-'07 which is scary. There is a downturn coming and the longer the crazy incentive market goes the harder the landing is going to be.

Right, I'm just saying incentives might be "crazy", but the reality is that there's a sizable cushion there for them to manipulate pricing without falling into "losing" territory.

Right, I'm just saying incentives might be "crazy", but the reality is that there's a sizable cushion there for them to manipulate pricing without falling into "losing" territory.

For the unit yes, but over all the impact will be felt throughout the company. If their revenue is $2,500 less profit per unit and they sell 500,000 units for the rest of the year at those discounts that is 1.25 Billion dollars in less profit. It is crazy money.

Tdubz...please read fine print....there WILL be rebates that no one bar 1 in a million qualify for...hate when ford pulls this shit, I spend 1/2 the week explaining why people CANT get what Fords advertising, and even then, because its on the TV, apparently I'm trying to rip people off....ahem.

• Like 2

Tdubz...please read fine print....there WILL be rebates that no one bar 1 in a million qualify for...hate when ford pulls this shit, I spend 1/2 the week explaining why people CANT get what Fords advertising, and even then, because its on the TV, apparently I'm trying to rip people off....ahem.

I've never seen Ford advertise rebates that I didn't qualify for. In fact I almost always get more than what they advertise due to regional incentives.

You must be talking about regional advertising from local dealers.

That's certainly possible. A cheaper Ranger would allow Ford to sell more higher priced F150 XLTs since you're getting more for your money. But that might also lose sales to Ram and GM overall.

I think the MSRPs are reasonable when you compare a XLT and a Lariat. I assume they're having to discount the XLTs more to compete with RAM and Silvererra.

On my 2018 supercab almost fully loaded (XLT 302A package with Navigation) the MSRP difference to a base Lariat with Navigation was about $4k which seems reasonable given the extra Lariat equipment. But the street price difference is about $8K due to incentives and package discounts. Fully loaded it's closer to $10K. Hard to justify that much cost difference for leather seats, memory seats, a garage door opener and automatic HVAC.

theres 23, yes...23 programs on a base F150 supercrew...that's in ADDITION to the regular programs, mailers, trade assist, Military, Farmers, American Quarterhorse, if you do or DONT finance through Ford, if you finace through ford at regular rates....akirby...you may be the ONLY human being alive that actually reads the fine print and realizes what he does and does NOT qualify for....its an F'in NIGHTMARE....and its Nationwide, not just kooky California

Edited by Deanh

What I'm saying is I've never seen a Ford sponsored ad that mentioned anything other than standard package discounts and nationwide public rebates available to everybody.

Can you post an example of such an ad? I still think this is a local dealer or regional dealer association ad and not a Ford ad.

Again, if you want to guess how much Ranger will cost, just take a look at Tacoma.

SR extend cab 2WD 2.7 I4 which should be similar to a Ranger XL extended cab is $25,400 [but Ranger will have far more power with 2.3 EB - Ford is not going to sell very many of these at all]

SR5 double cab 2WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT 2WD is $31,500

SR5 double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT 4WD is $34,500

TRD double cab 2WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT FX2 is $33,400 (I don't know if there will be a FX2 package, but you get the point... it's a XLT with color matching exterior instead of chrome bits)

TRD Offroad double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT FX4 is $36,300

Limited double cab 2WD 3.5 V6 should be similar to Ranger Lariat 2WD is $37,300

Limited double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 should be similar to Ranger Lariat 4WD is $40,400

TRD Pro double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 should be similar to Ranger Lariat FX4 is $43,700

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

You could say that of most vehicles but it's interesting that the biggest incentives are usually wrapped up in

trucks like XLT Ecoboost with Lux pack - loaded vehicles where there is defintly a lot more fat than say

a $27K Regular cab.

Fords advertising $7000 in rebates right now on a national add....fine print...must be on a lease, be coming out of a lease, be on a specific model *( STX ) with a specific engine....yadda yadda , yadda...all which is disclosed in FINE print no one reads...so thus the hey, what about 7 k on the Lariats...etc etc etc...They are also tricky, again in fine print, of stating UP TO $7000 in rebates....trust me...it gets tiring... they also consistently advertise trade in assistance...what they don't explain is that negates other programs....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Again, if you want to guess how much Ranger will cost, just take a look at Tacoma.

SR extend cab 2WD 2.7 I4 which should be similar to a Ranger XL extended cab is $25,400 [but Ranger will have far more power with 2.3 EB - Ford is not going to sell very many of these at all]

SR5 double cab 2WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT 2WD is $31,500

SR5 double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT 4WD is $34,500

TRD double cab 2WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT FX2 is $33,400 (I don't know if there will be a FX2 package, but you get the point... it's a XLT with color matching exterior instead of chrome bits)

TRD Offroad double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 which should be similar to Ranger XLT FX4 is $36,300

Limited double cab 2WD 3.5 V6 should be similar to Ranger Lariat 2WD is $37,300

Limited double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 should be similar to Ranger Lariat 4WD is $40,400

TRD Pro double cab 4WD 3.5 V6 should be similar to Ranger Lariat FX4 is $43,700

The base XLT Ranger 2WD should start around $27K to align with 2WD V6 Colorado extended cab long box.

which should be interesting considering the base XL F150 Regular cab is a similar price...

You could say that of most vehicles but it's interesting that the biggest incentives are usually wrapped up in

trucks like XLT Ecoboost with Lux pack - loaded vehicles where there is defintly a lot more fat than say

a $27K Regular cab.

Those $27K reg cab XLs have $4250 rebates right now. XLT is $6250. Lariat, KR, Limited and Platinum is only $2750.

Fords advertising $7000 in rebates right now on a national add....fine print...must be on a lease, be coming out of a lease, be on a specific model *( STX ) with a specific engine....yadda yadda , yadda...all which is disclosed in FINE print no one reads...so thus the hey, what about 7 k on the Lariats...etc etc etc...They are also tricky, again in fine print, of stating UP TO $7000 in rebates....trust me...it gets tiring... they also consistently advertise trade in assistance...what they don't explain is that negates other programs....

They must be doing completely different ads for California. None of the ads I've seen advertise anything other than national public rebates and standard package discounts and a standard average dealer discount. None of them include military or first responder or Ford Credit discounts unless they are shown separately. This is from the Ford website:

post-22831-0-17854400-1528231709_thumb.jpg