Cadillac to be mostly, if not all, electric by 2030

Harley Lover

According to the Detroit News:

By 2030, General Motors Co. expects the majority, if not all, of its Cadillac brand's sales will be electric.

"We'll be in segments with both internal combustion and battery-electric for a period of time. But inevitably I would expect to see the internal combustion fade away and the electric start to dominate," Cadillac President Steve Carlisle said Thursday. "We will be in a position to be 100% electric by the latter part of the decade."

GM plans to have 20 electric nameplates by 2023. It is preparing for its zero-emissions goal by building its own battery-cell manufacturing plant in northeast Ohio in partnership with LG Chem. The Detroit automaker has pinned Cadillac as the leader of its electric push because luxury customers are more comfortable with the higher price-points and are seen as more open-minded to technology and electrification.

So, if this is true, GM has put Cadillac on a path that differs significantly from the apparent path Ford has chosen for Lincoln. I actually like the idea of making Cadillac the tip of the spear for GM electrification - I think there can be a strong marketing message attached to this approach that can even put the Germans back on their heels. I think it's still an open question regarding whether or not the market is ready to accept such broad application of EV's to a product line.

Of course, this can also be typical GM "engineering by press release". GM also has a track record of flushing large sums of money on Cadillac with a significant lack of corresponding returns.

Full article here: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/12/12/cadillac-will-sell-mostly-electric-vehicles-by-2030/4411246002/

• Like 1

I also saw in articles the last couple of days that, following in the footsteps of Lincoln, Cadillac will be shifting to all names for its electrified fleet, phasing out the alphanumerics along with the ICE. 

...and I'm not sure how different Caddy going all BEM by 2030 will be from where Lincoln will be going. While Lincoln may still have some ICE vehicles by decade's end I'll bet they will be mostly electric by then.

Cadillac seems to have ADD. It appears they are throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. One year they are over here and the next they are over there. Seems to have no real plan. That is Such a waste of money. I’m all for trying new things but stick with some kind of identity. Headquarters move to NY, then not. XLR off corvette, then pull it, ELR flop, pull it. Make a flagship sedan spend a ton of cash making it hi-tech. Then kill it.  Take names away and add x-t-c to ts. Then add numbers on top of those that don’t really represent anything, 400, 300 etc. 

Now kill all that and bring names back and go electrification after you kill the volt which got you in the EV segment (along with ev1).

They need to sit down and make a long term plan. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

They need to sit down and make a long term plan. 

Yes sir. A long term plan focused on becoming a Tier 1 luxury brand within an automotive industry that's going all electric, all autonomous. Tesla has already supplanted Cadillac as the world standard for American luxury cars. Hopefully Cadillac's long term plan works. Otherwise it will remain a Tier 2 player, or maybe even be dead after 2030.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

...and I'm not sure how different Caddy going all BEM by 2030 will be from where Lincoln will be going. While Lincoln may still have some ICE vehicles by decade's end I'll bet they will be mostly electric by then.

Other than the BEV Lincoln CUV that will share a chassis with Ford, what are all the other BEV Lincolns being planned? You can bet all day long, but it's not supported by anything that has been published or publicly acknowledged.

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Other than the BEV Lincoln CUV that will share a chassis with Ford, what are all the other BEV Lincolns being planned? You can bet all day long, but it's not supported by anything that has been published or publicly acknowledged.

Harley's Lover, that's it, I'm just guessing. Unlike Cadillac, Jaguar, Volvo and VW, Ford/Lincoln haven't made any 2030 guesstimates yet. In the end, it will all depend on a combination of driver acceptance, the regulatory environment and corporate strategy, but the first of those three is critical. If people don't want to buy them they won't. 

It makes sense for automakers to focus their early electrification plans on their higher priced models, because batteries are still expensive, especially is you put in enough to get the range and performance luxury buyers will demand.

The one thing that Ford has said is that by model year 2023 Lincoln will have add at least two electric SUVs/CUVs: a Riven-derived SUV and the midsized crossover being jointly developed with Ford. So one-third of Lincoln's non-car lineup will be BEV by 2023MY.

Where it goes from there will all depend on how good those BEVs are and how well they sell. I think it is highly likely that by seven years later over half of Lincoln's models will be BEV. Maybe even more than half of sales. But we'll see.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:38 AM, Harley Lover said:

Navigator is getting a BEV way off in the distance and I can see Aviator becoming PHEV exclusive, again way off in the future 

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, Harley Lover said:

According to the Detroit News:

So, if this is true, GM has put Cadillac on a path that differs significantly from the apparent path Ford has chosen for Lincoln. I actually like the idea of making Cadillac the tip of the spear for GM electrification - I think there can be a strong marketing message attached to this approach that can even put the Germans back on their heels. I think it's still an open question regarding whether or not the market is ready to accept such broad application of EV's to a product line.

Of course, this can also be typical GM "engineering by press release". GM also has a track record of flushing large sums of money on Cadillac with a significant lack of corresponding returns.

Full article here: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/12/12/cadillac-will-sell-mostly-electric-vehicles-by-2030/4411246002/

Good Luck! Volvo did a study and found out that the #1 reason that consumers (58%) are avoiding purchasing a BEV is range anxiety. 61% said that they would be more inclined to purchase a BEV if there were more charging stations. More than half (57 percent) of consumers said that they would be more likely to purchase an EV if it were the same price as a traditional vehicle.  
https://www.thedrive.com/news/26637/americans-cite-range-anxiety-cost-as-largest-barriers-for-new-ev-purchases-study