2022 Ford Expedition News

1 hour ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I guess the Expy would get both the 12in (XLT maybe) and the 15.5in in the Platinum.

And if the Expy gets the 15.5i the Navi should also receive that screen (would make sense to me to use the smaller 13.2in from the Nautilus)

Nav is getting a landscape oriented center display.  Larger than the current 10.1” but it won’t be 15.5”.   

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Timberline is coming to Expedition, along with the best look at the new front end:

Ford Expedition Timberline prototype

The back looks like it's getting Explorer-like taillights.

Ford Expedition Timberline prototype

I like that a lot. I wonder what trims the rumored power boost will get. Hopefully it will be available on the Timberline.

1 hour ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I guess the Expy would get both the 12in (XLT maybe) and the 15.5in in the Platinum.

And if the Expy gets the 15.5i the Navi should also receive that screen (would make sense to me to use the smaller 13.2in from the Nautilus)

Honestly, if they're smart, IMO, they'd just make the 15.5" standard for Expy as a way of differentiating its' interior from the F-150, which was a complaint many had about it sharing the F-150's "trucky" dash.

Here's Navigator's updated dash - you can see the air vents underneath it like the current one, but a larger screen.  It's likely the 12" screen that Nautilus got.  Doesn't look big enough to be the 15.5" sideways.

2022 Lincoln Navigator spy shots: Flagship SUV to receive refinements

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Nav is getting a landscape oriented center display.  Larger than the current 10.1” but it won’t be 15.5”.   

sad to hear it (or read it ?) I mean, it doesn't make any sense to me that the non-luxury model has a bigger screen, everything is about screens now. The Escalade has a 16.9in screen and IMO the Navi is only behind in that aspect and in some tech features

47 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Honestly, if they're smart, IMO, they'd just make the 15.5" standard for Expy as a way of differentiating its' interior from the F-150, which was a complaint many had about it sharing the F-150's "trucky" dash.

Here's Navigator's updated dash - you can see the air vents underneath it like the current one, but a larger screen.  It's likely the 12" screen that Nautilus got.  Doesn't look big enough to be the 15.5" sideways.

Yeah, agree they should make the 15.5'' standard for the Expy..... but still think that the Navi should get the same screen but as you show it seems it will get a smaller one

10 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

Yeah, agree they should make the 15.5'' standard for the Expy..... but still think that the Navi should get the same screen but as you show it seems it will get a smaller one

The simple reason may have been it would've required too much reworking for the dash to make it worthwhile.  Expy already shared an F-150 dash, so the components were there.

Getting the 15.5" in a horizontal format to fit Lincoln's style may've required too much changing without a full redesign.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/2022-lincoln-navigator-interior-caught-completely-uncovered/

Some new spy pics of the Navi.

Like you said before the interior is not going to change much, the screen seems almost to be the same size as the current one

Looks like it fits into the same size housing, but it's a different screen - look at the corners, which are more square now.  My guess is they got rid of the mile wide black bezel around the screen for a larger screen in the same space.

I also just noticed the self driving monitors on the top of the steering column.

image.thumb.png.1168fc4fdace118a29e83a9e1691c6cd.pngimage.thumb.png.14a19dfaa6700c6ed3be3a6cdf2386b8.png

Also looks like it's getting slimmer taillights to better match the rest of the lineup.  Seems like it'll mimic Aviator's setup with a single red horizontal strip and white portions underneath the outermost parts.  It also gets a full width reflector strip higher up on the bumper.

image.thumb.png.d00fee999be536fda8c6ed121a533279.png

Up front, it's getting the new headlights, and the lower grille has been inverted.

I also see the mirror mounts have the bigger camera pod that F-150 now uses, so I'm assuming it'll get Lincoln's branding of BlueCruise.  StarDrive?  StarCruise?

image.thumb.png.bc7f1533c3d3f2df2e1d92148d39a6bb.png

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:36 PM, rmc523 said:

You mean the same "vertical cupholders" it's had since 2007?

Yes, bad design is bad design...

On 5/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, Flying68 said:

How else would you put cupholders? If they were horizontal your drink would  fall out and spill.

Unless of course you are actually referring to TANDEM cupholders and instead prefer side-by-side.

Whatever you want to call them, I don't want to have to unnaturally fidget with my drink when another drink is in the way, all the while the sleeve of my longsleave shirt/coat that I open doors with (including bathroom door stalls, entrance/exit) drags across the other persons drink.  TANDEM cupholders are just a really bad idea (and yes, I realize how many vehicles employ them)...

6 hours ago, chucky2 said:

Yes, bad design is bad design...

Whatever you want to call them, I don't want to have to unnaturally fidget with my drink when another drink is in the way, all the while the sleeve of my longsleave shirt/coat that I open doors with (including bathroom door stalls, entrance/exit) drags across the other persons drink.  TANDEM cupholders are just a really bad idea (and yes, I realize how many vehicles employ them)...

Uh?  Or you just put your cup in the back cupholder so that doesn't happen?

You wipe your arm on the door when opening it?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

How long are these massive screens good for as warranty runs out? I know mine has 12.3 " and 8" screens. Figure extended warranty good bet after vehicle is 4+ years old if warranty does in fact cover screens many more years. 

Hmm my car is 8 years old and zero issues...I haven't heard any issues with the screens, but the units driving them have been an issue in the distant past (5 plus years ago)

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Uh?  Or you just put your cup in the back cupholder so that doesn't happen?

You wipe your arm on the door when opening it?

So then the passengers sleeve, who is doing the same thing, can wipe across my cup?  Thanks, but no.  A far better solution is just to have side by side cup holders and drop the faux 4 on the floor shifter stupidity.

Who wipes their arm on the door?  Instead of grabbing or pushing the door handle/door, we make sure we're using our sleeve instead of our bare hands; having people with medical issues you take more careful actions than people who don't have to care (and I used to be one of those, so I get it).  It leads to knowing that your sleeve is not a clean thing, and so why Ford designers would make the decision to have that contaminated thing wipe across someone's cup that they'll be putting right on their lips, to have a faux floor mounted shifter rather than a light years more practical cup holder arrangement, is beyond me.  And Ford isn't the only one who is guilty of this, so not picking on them solely....

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Hmm my car is 8 years old and zero issues...I haven't heard any issues with the screens, but the units driving them have been an issue in the distant past (5 plus years ago)

Sorry... that's what I meant. My smart phones over the years last about 3 years before the power unit dies. The last time I bought one the service guy said about a three year lifespan. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Sorry... that's what I meant. My smart phones over the years last about 3 years before the power unit dies. The last time I bought one the service guy said about a three year lifespan. 

The battery in my car dies every 3 years also.  It’s great when it dies a few weeks short of the 3 year free replacement...6 years out of one battery.  Then I replace it.

The screen and electronics behind it should last for a decade or more once they get beyond the infant mortality stage, which would be well within the bumper to bumper warranty.  Newer screens all use LED backlighting so they should last longer than the ones with fluorescent backlights.

7 hours ago, chucky2 said:

So then the passengers sleeve, who is doing the same thing, can wipe across my cup?  Thanks, but no.  A far better solution is just to have side by side cup holders and drop the faux 4 on the floor shifter stupidity.

Who wipes their arm on the door?  Instead of grabbing or pushing the door handle/door, we make sure we're using our sleeve instead of our bare hands; having people with medical issues you take more careful actions than people who don't have to care (and I used to be one of those, so I get it).  It leads to knowing that your sleeve is not a clean thing, and so why Ford designers would make the decision to have that contaminated thing wipe across someone's cup that they'll be putting right on their lips, to have a faux floor mounted shifter rather than a light years more practical cup holder arrangement, is beyond me.  And Ford isn't the only one who is guilty of this, so not picking on them solely....

I've never seen someone so worked up about a cupholder orientation.

Must be hard looking for a car - don't think there's a "horizontal cup holder orientation" filter on dealer searches.....

If that's a requirement for you getting a car, you've eliminated probably 85% of the vehicles out there, if not more.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Batteries in phones don't have the same protection that say a BEV would have with being climate controlled etc...its fairly easy to replace a battery in a phone anyways. Newer phones are much better at protecting battery life also. I've seen on my iPhone 12 when I plug it in before I go to bed (10:30-11) that it won't be fully charged til 3AM, when it could easily recharge it in an hour or two, just to help with battery longevity 

The vast majority of consumers like tandem cup holders as they hold larger beverage containers better than ones that are side by side, you can't put 32oz+ drinks in the side by side where they will fit in the tandem design.  Also where are you sleeves going that they are that dirty? A sleeve will hold a virus/organism longer than your hand will as your skin will kill/breakdown a foreign bacteria faster. By using you're sleeve you're actually making the transport of the bacteria/virus easier, and more likely to be transferred to other surfaces. The safest/best option is to use your hand and use hand sanitizer after opening the door. 

We often have 2 cups in our F150 and I don’t see how you would need to touch the other cup at all.  Driver gets the rear cup because it’s easier to reach. Passenger gets the front cup.

O——-P

D_____O

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

We often have 2 cups in our F150 and I don’t see how you would need to touch the other cup at all.  Driver gets the rear cup because it’s easier to reach. Passenger gets the front cup.

O——-P

D_____O

Yeah, I don't understand it either.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:39 AM, akirby said:

O——-P

D_____O

That's the way we do it too, though if I'm driving the Fusion alone I usually have an empty water bottle in the rear cup holder just to rest my arm on since I can't use the shifter for that.