Jump to content





Sign in to follow this  
SoonerLS

Ford buying back DCT-equipped cars?

Recommended Posts

I’m glad they’re getting compensated.  Ford should have stepped up before the lawsuit.

 

But help me understand how the couple incurred $15k in damages on a leased Fiesta?  The lease couldn’t have been more than $10k total and it was almost certainly still under warranty.  Unless they did a super long lease?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m glad they’re getting compensated.  Ford should have stepped up before the lawsuit.

 

But help me understand how the couple incurred $15k in damages on a leased Fiesta?  The lease couldn’t have been more than $10k total and it was almost certainly still under warranty.  Unless they did a super long lease?

 

Maybe the dealer(s) was unable/unwilling to supply a loaner vehicle while the car was being looked at, so they spent a considerable amount of $$$ out of pocket as a result?

 

I'm pretty sure that if the dealer who addressed my 1.5 Eb coolant intrusion problem wouldn't have supplied the loaners they did, and I was without a vehicle for the 5+ weeks it took for the repair, I would have jumped in the Class Action suits to recover my out of pocket expenses.

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ford is still getting off light, especially when you realise that it sold over 1.1 million focus between 2013 and 2018.

assuming that around  80% of them had the dry clutch power shift and that’s close to 880,000 before we consider

that there’s also fiestas with the same flawed transmission. Not all of them were glitchy and failed but there were

more than enough to alert reviewers that there were problems.

 

Ford introduced the cure in 2015, a 1.5 EB and 6R35 auto transmission that sold everywhere else but North America. I can vouch for the night and day transformation, it cured a lot of ills with the Focus.

 

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

 

Maybe the dealer(s) was unable/unwilling to supply a loaner vehicle while the car was being looked at, so they spent a considerable amount of $$$ out of pocket as a result?

 

I'm pretty sure that if the dealer who addressed my 1.5 Eb coolant intrusion problem wouldn't have supplied the loaners they did, and I was without a vehicle for the 5+ weeks it took for the repair, I would have jumped in the Class Action suits to recover my out of pocket expenses.

 

HRG


5 weeks with a rental car is only $750.

 

Im not arguing the judgement, just trying to understand the math.  $15K in damages on a leased $20K vehicle just doesn’t make sense especially when the vehicle is driveable in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

 

Ford introduced the cure in 2015, a 1.5 EB and 6R35 auto transmission that sold everywhere else but North America. I can vouch for the night and day transformation, it would have cured a lot of ills with the Focus...

 


That to me is the most egregious error.  Had they extended the warranty and offered voluntary buybacks early on and then replaced the DCT when it had the chance it would have been much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I honestly think that is the real reason Focus got the axe in North America...

 

Well it sure didn't help it either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, akirby said:


That to me is the most egregious error.  Had they extended the warranty and offered voluntary buybacks early on and then replaced the DCT when it had the chance it would have been much better.

The hypocrisy here was that Ford had the cure but refused to apply it to US production.

 

FOE developed the Focus, specked the dry clutch power shift for markets other than its own

and then resisted every overture to change the damned thing. In 2015, Europe then adapted

the 1.0 EB and 1.5 EB with a proper 6F automatic for gasoline Focus auto but the US was never

upgraded with the 6F auto, even if for just the 2.0 DI.

 

Imagine I’d Ford had poured funding into developing 6F and  8F autos earlier than it did, all of this

could have been completely avoided......

 

This is Ford wounding itself with rubbish and doubling down with a nonsense “cure”.

 

 

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

The hypocrisy here was that Ford had the cure but refused to apply it to US production.

 

FOE developed the Focus, specked the dry clutch power shift for markets other than its own

and then resisted every overture to change the damned thing. In 2015, Europe then adapted

the 1.0 EB and 1.5 EB with a proper 6F automatic for gasoline Focus auto but the US was never

upgraded with the 6F auto, even if for just the 2.0 DI.

 

Imagine I’d Ford had poured funding into developing 6F and  8F autos earlier than it did, all of this

could have been completely avoided......

 

This is Ford wounding itself with rubbish and doubling down with a nonsense “cure”.

 

 

 

Yeah, it didn't make sense that they had a solution and did nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

 

Yeah, it didn't make sense that they had a solution and did nothing.


The only thing that made sense to me was if they had some type of contract commitment they had to fulfill.  Or it was some huge CAFE hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, akirby said:


The only thing that made sense to me was if they had some type of contract commitment they had to fulfill.  Or it was some huge CAFE hit. 

GM used its own version of the 6F auto in the Cruze without CAFE problems and then switched to the 8-speed auto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have been lucky, but I managed to get 226K miles out of my DCT equipped Focus. The transmission had some annoying tendencies, but it was way better than being bored to tears in a Corolla. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had good luck with our '012 Focus.  But 90% of our driving was on the highway with minimal shifting.  Had a 100,000 miles on it when we traded it in on a new Bronco Sport.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, akirby said:


The only thing that made sense to me was if they had some type of contract commitment they had to fulfill.   

 

I always assumed it was this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jpd80 said:

GM used its own version of the 6F auto in the Cruze without CAFE problems and then switched to the 8-speed auto.


But every vehicle and every mfr is in a different situation with regards to CAFE.  Back in 2001 or so Lincoln had to delete the subwoofer and rear headrests from the LS V8 sport models to avoid being pushed into a higher weight category.  Sometimes a small change can be catastrophic from a business standpoint.

 

Now I’m sure in retrospect Ford would probably agree it was the wrong decision.  But the vast majority of vehicles were perfectly driveable - just annoying.  And I owned 2 different 2012 Focii.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 9:18 AM, rmc523 said:

 

Yeah, it didn't make sense that they had a solution and did nothing.

Fields decided that powershift would stay for full product cycle, he wasn’t going to cancel the deal with Getrag.

 

6 hours ago, akirby said:


But every vehicle and every mfr is in a different situation with regards to CAFE.  Back in 2001 or so Lincoln had to delete the subwoofer and rear headrests from the LS V8 sport models to avoid being pushed into a higher weight category.  Sometimes a small change can be catastrophic from a business standpoint.

 

Now I’m sure in retrospect Ford would probably agree it was the wrong decision.  But the vast majority of vehicles were perfectly driveable - just annoying.  And I owned 2 different 2012 Focii.

Cost was a big driver with keeping vehicles at MAP profitable, a big thing with Mulally and something alluded to by theoldwizzard and his long connections with transmission development. The 6R was definitely more expensive and Ford was still developing mid gear converter lockup which would have given similar fuel economy to powershift. Ford just picked a dog of a transmission that was never designed for the vehicle weights and power Ford was using, maybe in a Ka with a 1.0 NA engine.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 8:13 AM, akirby said:

I’m glad they’re getting compensated.  Ford should have stepped up before the lawsuit.

 

But help me understand how the couple incurred $15k in damages on a leased Fiesta?  The lease couldn’t have been more than $10k total and it was almost certainly still under warranty.  Unless they did a super long lease?

From what I understand, those are statutory damages--they're not directly related to the actual monetary value of damage done, they're punitive damages resulting from Ford dragging their feet on the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

From what I understand, those are statutory damages--they're not directly related to the actual monetary value of damage done, they're punitive damages resulting from Ford dragging their feet on the issue.


I don’t think so.  The punitive measure was tripling the $15k damages for a total judgement of $47K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, akirby said:


I don’t think so.  The punitive measure was tripling the $15k damages for a total judgement of $47K.


Ok, looks like Ford offered $15k as opposed to actual damages.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 12:05 PM, mackinaw said:

I had good luck with our '012 Focus.  But 90% of our driving was on the highway with minimal shifting.  Had a 100,000 miles on it when we traded it in on a new Bronco Sport.  

 

A few years ago, I had a Fiesta rental for a month in AZ with DCT and it was fine 90% of time with great fuel mileage. But driving from Flagstaf to Sedona was not fine with all the switchbacks and different elevation. The trans was all over the place on acceleration. Sometimes it searched for gear and response lagged significantly to the point of being dangerous. I learned to keep to freeways only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, akirby said:


I don’t think so.  The punitive measure was tripling the $15k damages for a total judgement of $47K.

 

And all I got with my Bronco ll after class action suit for fatal rollovers was a VHS tape on how to drive my high center of gravity vehicle. And the trans failed at 58,000 miles and Ford wouldn't pay a penny for new one. Only good thing was new one had lifetime warranty and lasted 175,000 miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×