'21 May Sales

57 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Yep, reported today that 2.5 L hybrid is BASE engine for Maverick and 2.0 only option. 40 mpg city. With my experience with my hybrid, getting 50+ mpg is easy and no hypermiling needed. Just drive normally. 

Yes sir FordBuyer. As slemke mentioned, it would be nice if in the next 2 years, Ford transitions Escape and Bronco Sport to the same setup as Maverick. 2.5L hybrid becomes the base engine (1.5L 3-cylinder is dropped) and 2.0L turbo remains optional. Then, with the next generation for all 3 of those models, go all electric.

Edited by rperez817

44 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir FordBuyer. As slemke mentioned, it would be nice if in the next 2 years, Ford transitions Escape and Bronco Sport to the same setup as Maverick. 2.5L hybrid becomes the base engine (1.5L 3-cylinder is dropped) and 2.0L turbo remains optional. Then, with the next generation for all 3 of those models, go all electric.

After looking at the interior of the Maverick , will be interesting if freshened Escape gets most of the Maverick interior also including the touch screen. 

I would keep the 1.5 for the Escape S, but SE on up should be just like the Maverick. Looks like Ford is going that way. They must be increasing supply of hybrid components to pull this off. Good move that will get notice. Exceptional fuel mileage or 0-60 in under 6 seconds with 3500 pounds of towing power. Take your pick. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

After looking at the interior of the Maverick , will be interesting if freshened Escape gets most of the Maverick interior also including the touch screen. 

I would keep the 1.5 for the Escape S, but SE on up should be just like the Maverick. Looks like Ford is going that way. They must be increasing supply of hybrid components to pull this off. Good move that will get notice. Exceptional fuel mileage or 0-60 in under 6 seconds with 3500 pounds of towing power. Take your pick. 

Motortrend has an article on this subject. Maverick is using a different electric motor than Escape but the same battery pack.

They also speculated that hybrid AWD and PHEV are going to be late add to Maverick once the model is established.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Motortrend has an article on this subject. Maverick is using a different electric motor than Escape but the same battery pack.

They also speculated that hybrid AWD and PHEV are going to be late add to Maverick once the model is established.

That makes perfect sense, there’s an opportunity for uniformity with powertrains across

Maverick, BS and Escape. Is Ford finally finding its mojo, could these vehicles transform

buyer perception of Ford?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Is Ford finally finding its mojo, could these vehicles transform buyer perception of Ford?

Yes sir jpd80, I think so. In the U.S. market, Ford trucks, SUVs, and crossovers have a better reputation than its passenger cars (other than Mustang and hi-po versions). Also, Ford is off to a good start in the BEV segment with Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning. 

Now that the uncompetitive passenger cars that Ford used to sell are gone from the lineup, customer perception of Ford can only get better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir jpd80, I think so. In the U.S. market, Ford trucks, SUVs, and crossovers have a better reputation than its passenger cars (other than Mustang and hi-po versions). Also, Ford is off to a good start in the BEV segment with Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning. 

Now that the uncompetitive passenger cars that Ford used to sell are gone from the lineup, customer perception of Ford can only get better.

In hindsight, the cars could have been handled a a heck of a lot better but I have a feeling

that new products will  change attitudes and l excite buyers…..there may be opportunity to

import some cars like Focus and NG Fusion but they would be low priority “nice to have”

vehicles that add sales but definitely  not essential.

Affordable Hybrids are critical to changing buyer mindset, electric vehicles are the next step.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

I think this take is a bit extreme.

Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta were all competitive - and especially Fusion had a good reputation - until Ford just ignored them for years on end.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I think this take is a bit extreme.

Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta were all competitive - and especially Fusion had a good reputation - until Ford just ignored them for years on end.

Focus and NG “Fusion” sedan imported from Spain wouldn’t be a bad thing if Ford could pull it off….

22 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Focus and NG “Fusion” sedan imported from Spain wouldn’t be a bad thing if Ford could pull it off….

I do agree with that.  With sedan volume lower around the world, maybe they can get away with a global source for them.

10 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Yep, reported today that 2.5 L hybrid is BASE engine for Maverick and 2.0 only option. 40 mpg city. With my experience with my hybrid, getting 50+ mpg is easy and no hypermiling needed. Just drive normally. Ford has another homerun here with $3 gas and only problem will be meeting demand, especially now. 

I concur.  15k bronco sports and an equal number of Mavericks will keep the plant busy.  If not, add in the transit connect.

I think the hybrid will come to the Bronco sport once Ford updates the revised ecvt for Awd.  From the motor trend article, sounds like a PHEV will eventually appear.  The new electric motor is also capable of a few more hp than what it is currently putting out in the Maverick.

12 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I do agree with that.  With sedan volume lower around the world, maybe they can get away with a global source for them.

Or balance out escape production in KY.  Ford can’t be pleased with the utilization of that plant.  Something else is going to go there.  The same with flat rock.

2 hours ago, slemke said:

Or balance out escape production in KY.  Ford can’t be pleased with the utilization of that plant.  Something else is going to go there.  The same with flat rock.

They won’t be balancing out Escape, I suspect that a few tweaks will put things right

like a nicer front clip and a lower priced base FWD hybrid from the Maverick.

Ford needs to reset Escape and really go after RAV4 hybrid, that’s where it’s a little weak competing.

Edited by jpd80

11 hours ago, slemke said:

Hmmm...Escape sales have been near 20,000/month last few months along with almost 3,000 Corsairs/month. And those numbers don't include Canada and wherever else it sells. Still to come some year are the plugins. So we are talking production over 250,000/year once chip shortage abates and plugins hit dealers.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Hmmm...Escape sales have been near 20,000/month last few months along with almost 3,000 Corsairs/month. And those numbers don't include Canada and wherever else it sells. Still to come some year are the plugins. So we are talking production over 250,000/year once chip shortage abates and plugins hit dealers.

Yeah, I don't think the Louisville plant is in as dire straits as made out to be.

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Unless there was another plant producing Escapes for the US and Canada,  based on 2017 sales, the capacity is somewhere over 350k (308k in Us and another 47k for Canada).  That leaves a bit of room for improvement.

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

15 hours ago, slemke said:

I concur.  15k bronco sports and an equal number of Mavericks will keep the plant busy.  If not, add in the transit connect.

I think the hybrid will come to the Bronco sport once Ford updates the revised ecvt for Awd.  From the motor trend article, sounds like a PHEV will eventually appear.  The new electric motor is also capable of a few more hp than what it is currently putting out in the Maverick.

yeah...whats up with the Plug ins?...anyone have any idea?...and want a true Coup....Transit Connect Hybrid.....

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

yeah...whats up with the Plug ins?...anyone have any idea?...and want a true Coup....Transit Connect Hybrid.....

LAP is shut down until mid July and I would think 2022 MY production starts in September. Hopefully by then chip shortage will improve. But does seem Ford should have made a few plugins by now. 

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

LAP is shut down until mid July and I would think 2022 MY production starts in September. Hopefully by then chip shortage will improve. But does seem Ford should have made a few plugins by now. 

The Job #1 Date for both the 2022 Escape & 2022 Lincoln Corsair is 11/01/2021. The order bank, scheduling and production timetables are posted in the 2022 Escape Production Information & 2022 Lincoln Corsair Production Information threads. 

Edit: I meant to post this in the Maverick thread.

The next logical step for Ford is to make Bronco Sport and Maverick "global" products instead of "regional". Both are currently considered exclusive to the Americas but I see no reason why they couldn't be sold in Europe and Middle East. 

Both would also seems to be popular in Asia Pacific region where their size and form factors really fit local tastes and expectations. Too bad neither were provisioned for RHD. I can see Ford selling quite a few in Australia. I wonder if it is possible for Ford to make RHD Bronco Sport and Maverick but fitted with RHD Kuga dash and center stack... not idea but it would be a cheap way to get the products out to handful of RHD markets where the pair should do well - Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, South Africa. 

Edited by bzcat

Ford killed the Focus name in US, with poor DCT quality, thus it is same as Pinto in buyers minds. So, dream on for any 'return of Focus ST/RS' or imports from Spain.

But, what about that new Fusion wagon "Outback competitor"?

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

This benefits Ford hourly workers tremendously. It means fewer temporary layoffs for plants that don't make F-series for sure. 

Also has the potential for more profitable vehicle sales, for both Ford and its Dealers, with higher transaction prices and far fewer incentives. 

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Edit: I meant to post this in the Maverick thread.

The next logical step for Ford is to make Bronco Sport and Maverick "global" products instead of "regional". Both are currently considered exclusive to the Americas but I see no reason why they couldn't be sold in Europe and Middle East. 

Both would also seems to be popular in Asia Pacific region where their size and form factors really fit local tastes and expectations. Too bad neither were provisioned for RHD. I can see Ford selling quite a few in Australia. I wonder if it is possible for Ford to make RHD Bronco Sport and Maverick but fitted with RHD Kuga dash and center stack... not idea but it would be a cheap way to get the products out to handful of RHD markets where the pair should do well - Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, South Africa. 

That’s the thing with RHD, it’s easy to say not enough sales but, if you batch the countries together, the business case becomes viable.

Aussie Ranger sells with a high trim mix of around 4,000 mostly crew cab 4x4s in the AUS$55k to $75k zone. nothing else in the Ford showroom sell worth a cracker - at best, 300-500 each per month.

Vehicles like Maverick and Bronco Sport would add massive points of difference to competitors and make Ford stand out. 

Ford is liked because it’s American, not because it copies the same products as Europe or Asian makers.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

May approximate sales (don’t ask)
F150…….…..~39,616
F250…………~12,333

F350…………..~5,667

F450……….….…1,279

F550………..……4,844

F600………….…..…501

F650……………..1,053

F750…………………152