Next gen Lincoln Nautilus for China and North America leaked

So some left field thinking-is there any possibility that the North American Nautilus would be based and built at the same plant that the Mach E is built at? 

Or maybe the Nautilus name will be used on the new BEV getting built in Oakville? Remember the GE2.1 was supposed to be launched this year but slid to the right 18-24 months due to battery supply issues.

I just have a hard time thinking Ford would spend money on an major update (all new platform) this late in the game plus the political issues with bringing it from China into North America. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So some left field thinking-is there any possibility that the North American Nautilus would be based and built at the same plant that the Mach E is built at? 

Or maybe the Nautilus name will be used on the new BEV getting built in Oakville? Remember the GE2.1 was supposed to be launched this year but slid to the right 18-24 months due to battery supply issues.

I just have a hard time thinking Ford would spend money on an major update (all new platform) this late in the game plus the political issues with bringing it from China into North America. 

The updates and new platform were already done for the China market regardless of NA.  This is a cheap piggyback.  I think if they were making this one in North America we would have heard about it already.

3 hours ago, spudz64 said:

Also, they picked “National Mustang Day” for this? Lol 

I noticed that too. lol ?

3 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Well they’re gonna import this from China forsure. It was part of their plans all along!

OR after the contract they will tool up one of the US plants to build the 24 Nautilus.

UAW may bargain to try and get it to Louisville. No other site will get it I believe if it even happens. 

I'm really hoping that the UAW would convince Ford to build it in Louisville alongside the Escape and Corsair since that plant has the capacity to build all three. While I do get their reasoning to import from China from a cost-cutting standpoint at least, it really would be good to build it here if they can. I do wonder how the general public and auto journalists would feel about importation from China, with what's been going on. Sure some Buicks and Volvos are imported from there, but that was done before the issues cropped up the past few years.

52 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Exactly, the political issues regarding China and I would imagine this could cause a strain between talks with UAW later too.

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

The updates and new platform were already done for the China market regardless of NA.  This is a cheap piggyback.  I think if they were making this one in North America we would have heard about it already.

That's a good point. Some insiders here would have already mentioned info regarding specifics of plant locations and all that by now.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s legit and yes it has to be the import.  Although I still think they could build it alongside Corsair at some point.

https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2023/04/14/the-all-new-lincoln-nautilus-debuts-on-monday--april-14-at-7-p-m.html

Thanks for that media link. It's now on Lincoln's FB page too, including their Story.

32 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

I'm really hoping that the UAW would convince Ford to build it in Louisville alongside the Escape and Corsair since that plant has the capacity to build all three.

Ford would prefer to build it here and Louisville is the logical plant but we don’t know the forecast for Escape and Corsair and we don’t know what else Ford has planned for Louisville.  Transition to BEVs makes the factory planning very fluid as plans change monthly.

Maybe they move Corsair and Nautilus to Cuititlan along with Maverick or Bronco Sport overflow, cancel Escape and make Louisville a BEV plant.  Lots of options.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford would prefer to build it here and Louisville is the logical plant but we don’t know the forecast for Escape and Corsair and we don’t know what else Ford has planned for Louisville.  Transition to BEVs makes the factory planning very fluid as plans change monthly.

Maybe they move Corsair and Nautilus to Cuititlan along with Maverick or Bronco Sport overflow, cancel Escape and make Louisville a BEV plant.  Lots of options.

You mean Hermosillo as Cauatitlan is Mach-E. 

59 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

I noticed that too. lol ?

I'm really hoping that the UAW would convince Ford to build it in Louisville alongside the Escape and Corsair since that plant has the capacity to build all three. While I do get their reasoning to import from China from a cost-cutting standpoint at least, it really would be good to build it here if they can. I do wonder how the general public and auto journalists would feel about importation from China, with what's been going on. Sure some Buicks and Volvos are imported from there, but that was done before the issues cropped up the past few years.

Exactly, the political issues regarding China and I would imagine this could cause a strain between talks with UAW later too.

That's a good point. Some insiders here would have already mentioned info regarding specifics of plant locations and all that by now.

Thanks for that media link. It's now on Lincoln's FB page too, including their Story.

I’m sure if they build them in America it will be great PR. First year will be import til contract over I believe though. I really thought they were gonna do an EV Nautilus. I guess the Aviator EV GT will be the first EV Lincoln.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

Oh absolutely! Note that I'm not faulting Ford on the Chinese importation issue at all. It's that the world has undergone so much changes the past few years through no fault of Ford at all. I know Ford would want to build as many vehicles in North America as possible. Ford seemingly has a good relationship with UAW with even Bill Ford backing it. I had meant that I was hoping that UAW could convince Ford to find a plant to build the new Nautilus as soon as possible without any importation at all. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that it may be possible the Chinese importation could be a very temporarily thing until the American-built version starts production. Hopefully Ford and UAW can reach a solution on this when they start talks later.

33 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I’m sure if they build them in America it will be great PR. First year will be import til contract over I believe though. I really thought they were gonna do an EV Nautilus. I guess the Aviator EV GT will be the first EV Lincoln.

Yes, I agree. As I mentioned above, I think it's possible the importation would be one or two model years until American production starts. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Oh absolutely! Note that I'm not faulting Ford on the Chinese importation issue at all. It's that the world has undergone so much changes the past few years through no fault of Ford at all. I know Ford would want to build as many vehicles in North America as possible. Ford seemingly has a good relationship with UAW with even Bill Ford backing it. I had meant that I was hoping that UAW could convince Ford to find a plant to build the new Nautilus as soon as possible without any importation at all. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that it may be possible the Chinese importation could be a very temporarily thing until the American-built version starts production. Hopefully Ford and UAW can reach a solution on this when they start talks later.

Yes, I agree. As I mentioned above, I think it's possible the importation would be one or two model years until American production starts. We'll see what happens.

I’m looking forward to this upcoming UAW and UNIFOR contract later this year. We will all get plenty info then on future investments and allocations. 

• Like 1

Weren’t there some recent articles about Ford having the most American cars, employees, and exports?  I wonder if this was preemptively emphasized in preparation for the potential fallout from importing this vehicle from China. 

44 minutes ago, tbone said:

Weren’t there some recent articles about Ford having the most American cars, employees, and exports?  I wonder if this was preemptively emphasized in preparation for the potential fallout from importing this vehicle from China. 

They’ve been touting that statistic for awhile now (as they should).  But this is replacing a Canadian vehicle not one made in the US so not a direct impact but I do see your point.

• Like 1

I’m thinking the huge new screen will also support the new Apple CarPlay that takes over more/most of the car functions….Ford was mentioned as one of the makers who signed up to support it. If so it will be interesting and pretty newsworthy, and also counters GM’s recent announcement that they will soon stop supporting CarPlay (and Android) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, spudz64 said:

I’m thinking the huge new screen will also support the new Apple CarPlay that takes over more/most of the car functions….Ford was mentioned as one of the makers who signed up to support it. If so it will be interesting and pretty newsworthy, and also counters GM’s recent announcement that they will soon stop supporting CarPlay (and Android) 

Interestingly enough, here's the new apple carplay setup.....which is the exact format the Chinese Nautilus has...

Speedometer Gauge Steering part Automotive design Plant

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

They’ve been touting that statistic for awhile now (as they should).  But this is replacing a Canadian vehicle not one made in the US so not a direct impact but I do see your point.

I agree they should, too, it is a positive attribute. I really like this vehicle, but I really don’t like that it may be made in China. I hope that this is only a temporary situation if that is the case. I understand the complexities of Plant utilization and capacity, and can accept a temporary scenario, but I hope it is addressed in a very timely manner. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigBendMatt said:

I found this on google images by searching “2024 Lincoln nautilus” by latest. It has the continental style handles 

IMG_5448.png

Sensational!  Looks so good…. Is the best looking Lincoln right now.    Made in China? Who cares?  Is a very good looking vehicle. And the interior is amazing.     Well job, Ford. 

3 hours ago, .I. said:

Sensational!  Looks so good…. Is the best looking Lincoln right now.    Made in China? Who cares?  Is a very good looking vehicle. And the interior is amazing.     Well job, Ford. 

Actually it sucks that they’re making it in China. Why not build the next generation in North America?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

Actually it sucks that they’re making it in China. Why not build the next generation in North America?? 

I would’ve loved a new gen Nautilus built on CD6 in America. I was hoping we’d get to see atleast oje more RWD based Lincoln before the transition to EVs. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigBendMatt said:

I would’ve loved a new gen Nautilus built on CD6 in America. I was hoping we’d get to see at least one more RWD based Lincoln before the transition to EVs. 

I thought the Nautilus was done in North America after my plant stops building them this year. I heard guys in here saying the next generation would be imported but I didn’t fully believe it. Now it looks like they were right. I wonder if it’s cheaper in Fords eye to import next generation Nautilus than retool an American plant to add it to their roster of vehicles. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, Oacjay98 said:

There’s no way in hell they’re going to spend millions to tool up one plant just to spend just as much, if not more to tool up a different plant. Even if every other word out of corporate’s collective mouth wasn’t about cutting costs that’s just a bad business decision. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:09 PM, pffan1990 said:

Oh it will. I remember when they announced they were going to import Focus from China after MAP stopped building them, and that wasn’t a contract year. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, Oacjay98 said: