Farley Toying With Off-road Supercar

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-jim-farley-offroad-supercar-gt-render/

I agree with Farley, I don't see an off-road version of the Ford gt. But based on what he's saying, a new RS200 would be perfect. 

Here's a design proposal from a Ford designer from when they were asked to sketch up a new RS200 to give people an idea of what it could look like if Ford went that route. 

Ford RS200 reimagined.jpg

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

I thought this was the mustang Raptor?

Doesn't seem like it. Just because he's talking about something not based on any existing Ford models in his own words. Maybe multiple sporty off-road cars are in development, which would be a little odd. Or perhaps one team is working on a mustang raptor proposal, and the other, something like a revived rs200. With the better product getting the greenlight. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

I could understand a Mustang off-road version, but this doesn’t sound like a worthwhile halo project to me.  I would rather them spend money on improving quality, sorting out production bottlenecks, and perhaps an affordable Ford to get people into the Ford brand. I don’t mind Halo vehicles but this possibility kind of sucks. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

He describes developing the equivalent of a 500k gt for off-road racing. Maybe some form of progressive, very high performance suv. But a 500k SUV seems almost impossible to sell, for Ford at least. 

I'm thinking it would be along the lines of the the Ford GT in a Baja/Safari like trim like the new 911. I don't see them using an SUV/Pickup frame for something like this and nor would it be built by Ford-it would be like the GT and built by Multimatic using the Fords parts bin.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm thinking it would be along the lines of the the Ford GT in a Baja/Safari like trim like the new 911. 

You should really read the article before you post: 

But when asked whether Ford was considering a similar vehicle, say, an offroad version of a next-generation Ford GT (Raptor?), Farley was quick to squash that rumor. "No! What I'm saying is, I'm always looking for what's next …" And in his mind, he's not imagining a supercar converted to going offroad, ala Porsche and Lambo, but a full clean-sheet design.

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

You should really read the article before you post: 

No the point I was making would it be like the past GT project-where its not even built by Ford, but designed by them and built by someone else.

From a car guy enthusiast stand point: this sound really effin cool
From a stock holder stand point: dafuq?

Sounds cool, but is there really a business case for something like this, especially when trying to shift toward green/EV adoption?

It's really hard to reconcile defending Mulally's boring profitable cars with Farley doing off the wall stuff like this in my brain, but so far it seems like pushing the boundaries has been working out with demand and profit on the "niche" products (beside the BEV stuff, but obviously that requires full ramping and volume before it starts making money).

Time will tell I guess

On 5/2/2023 at 12:00 PM, silvrsvt said:

No the point I was making would it be like the past GT project-where its not even built by Ford, but designed by them and built by someone else.

If I'm remembering correctly, Multimatic is helping Ford build the V8 powered bronco R's. Meaning they now have experience with making both supercars and off-road monsters. So tapping them to build a off-road supercar could make a lot of sense. 

9 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

From a car guy enthusiast stand point: this sound really effin cool
From a stock holder stand point: dafuq?

Sounds cool, but is there really a business case for something like this, especially when trying to shift toward green/EV adoption?

It's really hard to reconcile defending Mulally's boring profitable cars with Farley doing off the wall stuff like this in my brain, but so far it seems like pushing the boundaries has been working out with demand and profit on the "niche" products (beside the BEV stuff, but obviously that requires full ramping and volume before it starts making money).

Time will tell I guess

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. But that's why I like it. Ford's latest strategy of taking a unique approach to segments has been great for them like you mentioned. Zig where everyone else zags is a great way to succeed in a hyper competitive industry. As long as you're zigging in a way that appeals to consumers. 

• Like 1

I had to google what an RS200 was. Most guy buyers are too young to even remember this. I agree Ford could better use whatever resrources towards mass market products. This is the smallest of niche markets. Even for people who might see it race, what product in the showroom is it going to motivate them to buy? 

To this old stockholder with quite a few shares, I sure do hope Farley was just being entertaining when it comes to his discussion with the young guy.  Formula 1 is enough of an adventure for  now...I'm sure Ford's base will be glued to their TV's when that debuts?

First things first...in particular quality issues and keeping the current product mix competitive.  Just got my latest Hagerty mag and flattering article on new  Colorado with its

2.7 turbo four.  Hope the new Ranger will be equally competitive...

50 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Just got my latest Hagerty mag and flattering article on new  Colorado with its

2.7 turbo four.  Hope the new Ranger will be equally competitive...

When has Ford been less than competitive with their trucks vs Chevy?  

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

When has Ford been less than competitive with their trucks vs Chevy?  

U.S. market T6 Ranger versus the corresponding Chevy Colorado. 

Example. Chevrolet Colorado vs. Ford Ranger vs. Honda Ridgeline vs. Toyota Tacoma: Down on the Farm (motortrend.com)

Our unanimous winner for best midsize pickup truck is the Chevrolet Colorado. The Colorado so effortlessly walks the fine line between being a lifestyle pickup and a work truck. It has plenty of power for work or play, a buttoned-down ride that doesn't beat you up on your daily commute, a good back-seat package, and an incredibly functional bed. It's the uncompromised pickup—the one that drives like a compact but hauls like a heavy-duty.

16 hours ago, Tico said:

I had to google what an RS200 was. Most guy buyers are too young to even remember this. I agree Ford could better use whatever resrources towards mass market products. This is the smallest of niche markets. Even for people who might see it race, what product in the showroom is it going to motivate them to buy? 

if it is selling for Ford GT money and sells like the Ford GT, who freaking cares? Its a halo product that isn't really taking any resources away from other programs. 

The GT didn't hurt any other programs and the only program I can think of that caused a situation like that was the old Mid engined Cobra 230ME Sports Car in the 1980s....and it got killed off for the 1st Gen Explorer...which is a good trade IMO. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 8:43 PM, Tico said:

I'm in my 20s, and I've been a fan of the RS 200 for quite some time. Even if the RS 200 was completely forgotten, it doesn't rule out the appeal of a high performance aspirational model. Entry level and aspirational models are the two most important products for most brands. 

You want that affordable gateway model into the brand to be ultra impressive to attract new and young buyers, and build up brand loyalty. The maverick nails that, prob the most impressive entry level vehicle Ford has ever had. 

Your aspirational halo model is what elevates the brand, it makes people go wow, that changes how I perceive this brand for the better. It shows what the brand is capable of. With the added bonus that the tech and design features of those halo models often trickle down to more affordable offerings over time. 

Everything I've seen with Farley indicates he doesn't want to make boring cars, nor does he want to follow what everyone else is doing. I could totally see him pushing for something like this to enter production. He's the ultimate example of zigging where others zag. What's the ultimate form of zigging? Building more performance cars while everyone else is chasing driverless living rooms on wheels that all look like bars of soap. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

8 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm in my 20s, and I've been a fan of the RS 200 for quite some time. Even if the RS 200 was completely forgotten, it doesn't rule out the appeal of a high performance aspirational model. Entry level and aspirational models are the two most important products for most brands. 

Well arguably the RS200 is a bit of a myth and I'd assume almost unknown by the vast majority of people in North America-it was built for Group B Rally which was banned before it could actual run in and that event happened almost 40 years ago (man I'm getting old!) 

Its a great name for a product like this, but Ford would need to sell its very interesting history (which wouldn't be hard to do) to generate even more interest in it. Maybe Ford Motorsport could start pushing Rally racing in North America and maybe even use it as a segway to make a case to bring over the Puma (which I think Ford is using in it) to NA as another entry level product. 

Problem is, the Mustang weights a metric ton and a half in simplest 4 cylinder 4 by 2 version. Throw 4 by 4 and a V8 on to move all that mass and it's gonna weight 2 tons and be the laughing stock of the trails and performance rallies. But when your company's only car is a bloated 60s icon, this is the only answer you got...

... Unless somebody with a seat on the upper floors of "glass house" remembers that the best bits from the Focus RS will fit in a lightly lowered Escape!

2 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Problem is, the Mustang weights a metric ton and a half in simplest 4 cylinder 4 by 2 version. Throw 4 by 4 and a V8 on to move all that mass and it's gonna weight 2 tons and be the laughing stock of the trails and performance rallies. But when your company's only car is a bloated 60s icon, this is the only answer you got...

... Unless somebody with a seat on the upper floors of "glass house" remembers that the best bits from the Focus RS will fit in a lightly lowered Escape!

Uh what are you smoking? The RS200 supercar would be a bespoke platform/suspension that maybe would share switch gear or a steering wheel with a Mustang or Escape.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Well arguably the RS200 is a bit of a myth and I'd assume almost unknown by the vast majority of people in North America-it was built for Group B Rally which was banned before it could actual run in and that event happened almost 40 years ago (man I'm getting old!) 

Its a great name for a product like this, but Ford would need to sell its very interesting history (which wouldn't be hard to do) to generate even more interest in it. Maybe Ford Motorsport could start pushing Rally racing in North America and maybe even use it as a segway to make a case to bring over the Puma (which I think Ford is using in it) to NA as another entry level product. 

I like your theory, bringing the puma here would be great. That being said, I've heard due to import expenses, I've heard the puma if it came here would probably start in the upper 20s or low 30s. I don't know if it would appeal to people as much at that price point. 

17 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I like your theory, bringing the puma here would be great. That being said, I've heard due to import expenses, I've heard the puma if it came here would probably start in the upper 20s or low 30s. I don't know if it would appeal to people as much at that price point. 

Yeah they would have to make it in North America to make it worthwhile. Ford only has about another 12 years or so of ICE production left, so they would have to do it sooner then later. They could use a Product under the Escape pricewise. 

I was checking out the Puma pricing in Australia and its pretty low-

https://www.carsguide.com.au/ford/puma/price/2021

Looking at the Ranger pricing, its completely different-the Raptor is nearly double the price it is in the USA and the lower end Rangers are considerably more 

The Australian dollar is only worth .76 cents vs the USD

Maybe it would be worth to bring it in, but I'd guess they would only bring over the hybrid model and an ST-line model?