2024 FORD EXPLORER SPIED WITH CHINESE COUNTERPART’S FEATURES

On 7/11/2023 at 9:04 PM, akirby said:

Edge has always been competitive.  Escape holds its own.  It’s about other vehicles having more profit potential.

Last time I checked, the Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Equinox, and Hyundai Tucson were ahead of the Escape, at least in the US.

Interesting to note, the Rav4 is older than the Escape, I guess its more angular styling is ageing better. 
Rav4 (pre-facelift shown)
toyota-rav4-phev.jpg
2024 Escape
2023-ford-escape-st-line-elite.jpg

Edited by AM222

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I keep waiting to see how long this Ford-VW partnership lasts. It may last for a while in Europe, but I really doubt the prospects of a long-term relationship in the North American market. VW is a niche player in North America with no notable success sales wise and at some stage Ford will decide it doesn't need to spend money and time on another platform with a partner.   

I don't think the Ford-VW MEB tie up is long for this world.  I even said it at the time that I think it's only a short term solution to help Ford "catch up" with EVs until their own "mega" platform (to underpin a variety of models) is ready.

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

Last time I checked, the Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Equinox, and Hyundai Tucson were ahead of the Escape, at least in the US.

Interesting to note, the Rav4 is older than the Escape, I guess its more angular styling is ageing better. 
toyota-rav4-phev.jpg
2024 Escape

Escape  sales have been artificially restricted due to launch issues and battery shortages.  It’s not top of the pack but it’s competitive if they can build them fast enough.

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Escape  sales have been artificially restricted due to launch issues and battery shortages.  It’s not top of the pack but it’s competitive if they can build them fast enough.

I am very happy with the changes between the 2020 model and the 2023.  I do think the 23 model is more competitive and I will interested to see how that translates to the total sales this year.  

8 minutes ago, tbone said:

I am very happy with the changes between the 2020 model and the 2023.  I do think the 23 model is more competitive and I will interested to see how that translates to the total sales this year.  

Agreed.  The '23 is drastically better looking than the outgoing one.

4 hours ago, AM222 said:

toyota-rav4-phev.jpg
2024 Escape

That's a pretty subjective take. The current rav 4 may look a lot better than the hideous shovel faced generation than came before it, but it's still not great. I personally think the cx-50 and Tuscon are the best looking in the segment. 

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

That's a pretty subjective take. The current rav 4 may look a lot better than the hideous shovel faced generation than came before it, but it's still not great. I personally think the cx-50 and Tuscon are the best looking in the segment. 

Looks are always subjective. While I agree with you regarding the CX 50, I disagree on the Tucson. Hyundais always look like they have too many lines and creases to me, and I don’t personally think they age well because of it.  

15 hours ago, tbone said:

Looks are always subjective. While I agree with you regarding the CX 50, I disagree on the Tucson. Hyundais always look like they have too many lines and creases to me, and I don’t personally think they age well because of it.  

Blobs don't age well, I was surprised Ford went for a very rounded design for the current gen Escape. It looked like a bloated bobble-head version of the better-looking Focus Mk4.

Subjective or not, the current gen Escape is not selling as well as its predecessors, many other compact SUVs overtook it. 

The styling of the CR-V is a big improvement over the last one, I think it's the second best-selling compact SUV in the US.
2023-honda-cr-v.jpg

The current Explorer has good proportions, hope the facelift helps improve sales. 
2024-ford-explorer-spy-shots.jpg
It's currently behind the Grand Cherokee and Highlander. Has that always been the case?

Edited by AM222

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Is the 2023 Escape even on Sale yet? I haven't seen one and I was looking for it at the dealership this AM. 

Considering that the 2023 Escape Job #1 Date was 01/03/2023, even with plant down time and supply chain issues, it's disappointing that you couldn't find one. Then again, I have yet to see a Bronco on the road yet and have only seen 2 Bronco Sports so far. 

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Considering that the 2023 Escape Job #1 Date was 01/03/2023, even with plant down time and supply chain issues, it's disappointing that you couldn't find one. Then again, I have yet to see a Bronco on the road yet and have only seen 2 Bronco Sports so far. 

You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Bronco. I've even seen about half a dozen Bronco Raptors in NJ in the past couple months. The only "rare" one I see is a Everglades Bronco, but I see it regularly since I think they live near me. Bronco Sports are common as Escapes. 

I even have a twin at work now-but they have a soft top in the same color as mine.

I have yet to see 2023 Escape on the road or even in a dealership lot..and I have about 3-4 dealerships I pass somewhat regularly. I just checked their website and they have two of them at the dealership-guess I completely missed them!

Edited by silvrsvt

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

There was a long delay on escape and corsair launch to fix some issues before they actually started shipping.  That and the delays on hybrids have artificially depressed the sales volume.  It’s not the leader but it’s better than the numbers currently show.

1 hour ago, AM222 said:

Blobs don't age well, I was surprised Ford went for a very rounded design for the current gen Escape. It looked like a bloated bobble-head version of the better-looking Focus Mk4.

Well it was intended to replace Focus for some buyers.  I also think they were going after a different buyer than Bronco Sport.  It was a logical strategy on paper but didn’t pan out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

There was a long delay on escape and corsair launch to fix some issues before they actually started shipping.  That and the delays on hybrids have artificially depressed the sales volume.  It’s not the leader but it’s better than the numbers currently show.

When we were looking for our 2020 Escape replacement, there were not many on lots to look at or choose from. For what is supposed to be a volume seller, there is still poor availability, so I hope they figure it out soon.   

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Bronco. I've even seen about half a dozen Bronco Raptors in NJ in the past couple months. The only "rare" one I see is a Everglades Bronco, but I see it regularly since I think they live near me. Bronco Sports are common as Escapes. 

I even have a twin at work now-but they have a soft top in the same color as mine.

I have yet to see 2023 Escape on the road or even in a dealership lot..and I have about 3-4 dealerships I pass somewhat regularly. I just checked their website and they have two of them at the dealership-guess I completely missed them!

Same here tons of Broncos and BS.  Still not a lot of 23 Escapes yet.  

I drive by my dealership regularly and '23 Escapes are on the lots. Bronco's and Bronco Sports have exploded here. All the owners of the last generation's Bronco's have come back in full force. I haven't seen a "Juice" Edition yet but, give it time.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, LoveTaurus said:

I had the same question, hadn't seeing any 2023 Escape. Until last week,  finally saw my first one parking on the street of Manhattan. 

Other than that,  to my eyes,  the 2023 HRV's front end sort of mimic the 2022 out going Escape. 

Oh, very much so. It's a less attractive pre 2023 escape imo. 

17 2023 Honda HR-V Sportfr.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Oh, very much so. It's a less attractive pre 2023 escape imo. 

17 2023 Honda HR-V Sportfr.jpg

At least the 2020-22 Escapes look happy to see you with that grin ? but that HR-V decidedly does not looked pleased.

Edited by j2sys
  • Haha 2

2024 FORD EXPLORER TIMBERLINE WILL USE 2023 FRONT END:
https://fordauthority.com/2023/07/2024-ford-explorer-timberline-will-use-2023-front-end/

This does not make any sense to me. Why wouldn’t they use the Chinese front end, considering it appears to be well done in my opinion.

Perhaps they have a more substantial upgrade in mind for the Timberline that will be released later?

22 minutes ago, tbone said:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/07/2024-ford-explorer-timberline-will-use-2023-front-end/

This does not make any sense to me. Why wouldn’t they use the Chinese front end, considering it appears to be well done in my opinion.

Perhaps they have a more substantial upgrade in mind for the Timberline that will be released later?

Probably a supplier issue.

20 hours ago, tbone said:

Yeah, this doesn't make sense to me either, though the headlight graphics do appear to be the same as the current one.

I wonder if perhaps they're taking the Raptor/GT350/500 approrach and keeping the pre-refresh headlights while the rest of it gets updated (different grille, etc)?  Otherwise, why would they bother covering the front up at all if it were a direct carryover?