UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

31 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

This sounds ridiculous. First, why would you hire someone back that you fired, and second, why would you pay them back pay if you did hire them back? The more I hear about the UAW and the manufacturers, the more I feel like I’m in La La Land.

The back pay part isn’t very common but I personally know 1 person who got that deal. 

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well you can forget any low priced vehicles that’s for sure.  Time to dust off that partially completed plant in Mexico.

If Google Maps can be believed, it looks like the steel that was once up is now gone,,,,,

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/01/05/508287656/canceled-ford-plant-adds-to-mexicos-economic-frustrations

HRG

Ford San Luis Potosi.JPG

ap_170046903724011_wide-fb6c0ec7e470bdcf4ddf8fa4efffec497c896b66-s1200-c85.jpg

• Thanks 1

re Bill Ford's speech I appreciate the fact in this  world of giant corporate entities, Ford remains a true family business.  Many will say that is BS, but I spent 44 years in the same industry...half of that time with an international giant, and the rest with a very large family owned entity.  I always said, the difference?..in the former you had to worry about being stabbed in the back by a corporate ladder climber...working for the latter?..you had to be worried about being punched in the mouth by an owner.

Bill Ford didn't punch anyone in the mouth, but his speech brought it down to a very personal level.  He has stockholders now to answer to- unlike Hank the Deuce when he took over in 1947, but I believe he has the interest of his employees in mind when he talks about what is at stake....it is more than just the stockholders.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Bill Ford didn't punch anyone in the mouth, but his speech brought it down to a very personal level.  He has stockholders now to answer to- unlike Hank the Deuce when he took over in 1947, but I believe he has the interest of his employees in mind when he talks about what is at stake....it is more than just the stockholders.

It was a good speech, but it will fall upon deaf ears.  Fain's already dismissed it.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2023/10/16/bill-ford-speaks-publicly-about-uaw-talks-for-the-first-time/71199918007/

This is starting to feel like when Hostess shut down in 2012 because they couldn’t come to an agreement with the union.  It’s not an exact parallel because Hostess was in a more dire financial position, but they told the union they would shut down if they did not reach an agreement, and that’s what happened.  Ford may not shut down, but they might be forced to do things drastically different than today, which will be a sad day for me and all those involved.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

but I believe he has the interest of his employees in mind when he talks about what is at stake....it is more than just the stockholders.

Absolutely.  He thinks this is a win/win for both the company and employees, and he’s right.  Too bad the union leaders can’t see that.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tbone said:

This is starting to feel like when Hostess shut down in 2012 because they couldn’t come to an agreement with the union.  It’s not an exact parallel because Hostess was in a more dire financial position, but they told the union they would shut down if they did not reach an agreement, and that’s what happened.  Ford may not shut down, but they might be forced to do things drastically different than today, which will be a sad day for me and all those involved.  

I don’t see Ford allowing the union to reject the final offer and continue to play games shutting down plants one by one.  I fear a lockout is coming very soon.

• Like 1

It's not the UAW and Ford against foreign automakers. It's autoworkers everywhere against corporate greed. If Ford wants to be the all-American auto company, they can pay all-American wages and benefits. Workers at Tesla, Toyota, Honda, and others are not the enemy — they're the UAW members of the future."

If anything this situation will make it impossible for the UAW to organize any of these other plants.  He is delusional.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

If anything this situation will make it impossible for the UAW to organize any of these other plants.  He is delusional.

He’s clearly banking on them seeing what the big 3 union workers are getting and wanting to vote to join the union. A bold strategy had he not messed up by airing all the dirty laundry of negotiations. 

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

OK, I obviously have trouble with comprehension, so could someone explain to me the rational behind the 32-hour workweek at 40-hour pay?  By my math, that's a 26% per hour increase, independent of whatever wage increase is negotiated.  How is this even possible to ask for?

HRG

It was a red herring from the start. Nothing more than a ploy to try to get the companies to hire more people and in turn pad the pockets of the union from the influx of dues money. On top of that, hardly anyone actually wants that. What’s really being asked for is change the language in the contract to prevent the abuse of mandatory overtime. It’s not so much a Ford and GM problem but it’s for sure a Stellantis problem. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It was a red herring from the start. Nothing more than a ploy to try to get the companies to hire more people and in turn pad the pockets of the union from the influx of dues money. 

I get the hiring more people part, and everyone gets 3-day weekends, it's the 40-hour pay demand that has me stymied.

HRG

42 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

He’s clearly banking on them seeing what the big 3 union workers are getting and wanting to vote to join the union. A bold strategy had he not messed up by airing all the dirty laundry of negotiations. 

I live in the South and those jobs are golden tickets to the people who live in those areas.  They do not want all this strike drama nor do they want to risk these companies closing up shop and going back to Japan, Korea and Germany.  They are happy being at will employees.  That’s what the UAW can’t comprehend. 

• Like 1