2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

GT3 is worldwide class, GTD is specific to IMSA, but also GT3. . .  weird.  Not that it means anything.  And to your earlier post GearheadGrrrl, plenty of front engine GT3/GTD cars are doing quite well . . . Aston, Merc, Lexus, BMW vs the Audi, Lambo, Ferrari, Vette, NSX, Mclaren and Porsche mid/rear engine cars. 

• silvrsvt changed the title to 2025 Mustang GTD coming with 800+ HP and rear mounted transaxle For $300K

Mustang is supposed to be the every man’s sports car, not some 300k+ super car. I feel like ford is losing their way with this one. If the starting price was gonna be $300k, the GT should have been the only option. A new GT would have been way bigger news than some fast and furious mustang. Now, a widebody regular mustang would have been something that people could get excited about and actually purchase. Keep the rear hips, get rid of the ridiculous front fenders and wing, maybe tone down the front a bit, and that would be a pretty nice mustang.

A corvette competitor would be nice too, and based on most people’s reactions to the initial rumors, it seems like they would have been happy with that too.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

$300K for a hopped up Mustang? I won't be camped on my dealer's doorstep or Ford's website tonight to order one.

I applied to buy a Ford GT, could have barely swung the deal at the time, and of course my application was rejected. Insurance woulda been hella expensive, but it'd be a good investment both financially and for the soul... A unique state of the art world beater of a race car for the street, the ultimate. I don't care if this is the ultimate Mustang, it's still a Mustang and despite it's $300K price on a crooked wet road it's probably no faster than a $30K Ecoboost Mustang. For the profilers who want to be seen in this wide body Mustang, thanks to the wonders of computer aided design knock off body kits will probably be available cheap before Ford delivers the first of their $300K versions to the Fords and execs, never mind the customers who won't get alphabet plan pricing. 

Ford, ya lost me on this one...

15 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Mustang is supposed to be the every man’s sports car, not some 300k+ super car. I feel like ford is losing their way with this one. If the starting price was gonna be $300k, the GT should have been the only option. A new GT would have been way bigger news than some fast and furious mustang. Now, a widebody regular mustang would have been something that people could get excited about and actually purchase. Keep the rear hips, get rid of the ridiculous front fenders and wing, maybe tone down the front a bit, and that would be a pretty nice mustang.

A corvette competitor would be nice too, and based on most people’s reactions to the initial rumors, it seems like they would have been happy with that too.

Yeah, I'm extremely conflicted about this car right now. On one hand, it's badass, looks amazing, sounds great, unbelievable performance, really creative team behind it. On the other, it's a 300k car that basically none of us will ever be able to buy. That stings a lot more when it's wearing a mustang badge, than a gt badge. We all knew this was gonna be expensive, but 300k just hurts. 

We were saying on the mustang 7g forums that it's actually kinda depressing that Ford's latest strategy is fuck you if you aren't super wealthy. It's just not enjoyable when all the really cool cars are ones you'll never be able to buy, and probably never see in person.

I don't understand how Ford can make a business case for a car that requires a ton of engineering and design work, basically reengineering the car from the ground up, then paying someone else a substantial amount of money to build it for them, just to sell 2,000 units, generating 600 million in revenue. But can't come up with a business case to sell tens of thousands of mid engine mustangs and make billions of dollars, while using the unused capacity in flat rock, a plant that can literally only make lower to the ground vehicles and can easily increase its output by tens of thousands of additional units. 

It's like they can't put 1 and 1 together lately. You want to elevate the mustang and really impress people? Maybe create a mid-engine car "for the people" rather than trying to appeal to the CEO's and celebrities of the world.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, I'm extremely conflicted about this car right now. On one hand, it's badass, looks amazing, sounds great, unbelievable performance, really creative team behind it. On the other, it's a 300k car that basically none of us will ever be able to buy. That stings a lot more when it's wearing a mustang badge, than a gt badge. We all knew this was gonna be expensive, but 300k just hurts. 

We were saying on the mustang 7g forums that it's actually kinda depressing that Ford's latest strategy is fuck you if you aren't super wealthy. It's just not enjoyable when all the really cool cars are ones you'll never be able to buy, and probably never see in person.

I don't understand how Ford can make a business case for a car that requires a ton of engineering and design work, basically reengineering the car from the ground up, then paying someone else a substantial amount of money to build it for them, just to sell 2,000 units, generating 600 million in revenue. But can't come up with a business case to sell tens of thousands of mid engine mustangs and make billions of dollars, while using the unused capacity in flat rock, a plant that can literally only make lower to the ground vehicles and can easily increase its output by tens of thousands of additional units. 

It's like they can't put 1 and 1 together lately. You want to elevate the mustang and really impress people? Maybe create a mid-engine car "for the people" rather than trying to appeal to the CEO's and celebrities of the world.

You sound like a bunch of entitled..I guess 500HP Dark Horse Mustang isn't good enough? Or getting worked up over a stupid rumor that didn't really make a heep of sense when it came down to economics?

If Ford was going to do a mid-engine Mustang, it would require a completely new platform and all the engineering associated with it that would costed hell of a lot more than what the GTD would cost. They start off as S660 Mustangs at the plant, I'm guessing they are White bodies that are shipped to multimatic for reworking. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

They start off as S660 Mustangs at the plant, I'm guessing they are White bodies that are shipped to multimatic for reworking. 

Correct. Ford states that Mustang GTD "will start life at the Ford Flat Rock Assembly Plant and then be transported to Multimatic facilities in Markham, Canada, where it will be handcrafted for racing-inspired precision by the Ford Performance and Multimatic teams."

Lots of Mustang GTD info available for download on Dropbox. EMBARGOED 2025 Ford Mustang GTD - Dropbox

44 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I don't care if this is the ultimate Mustang, it's still a Mustang and despite it's $300K price on a crooked wet road it's probably no faster than a $30K Ecoboost Mustang.

What a ridiculous statement.   Sub 7 minute lap time at Nurburgring puts it in 911 GT3 RS territory.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Oh for Pete’s sake.  You can buy a 315 hp ecoboost for $30k.  480 hp GT for $43k and Dark Horse with even more performance for $60k.  Previously you had GT350 and GT500.  And you’re complaining they don’t make an affordable performance Mustang?  Unbelievable.

This is targeting Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche supercars not Camaro and Corvette.

Assuming it's capable of such performance. Motor Trend just published a road test of the S650 Gt\Y and it's overall no faster than the previous version. All that carbon fiber is nice, but an 8 speed dual clutch transmission is probably damn heavy and how much of those 800 reputed horses can be put to the pavement, even with half of what is still probably a near 4000 pound Mustang's weight on the drive wheels.

7 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Assuming it's capable of such performance. Motor Trend just published a road test of the S650 Gt\Y and it's overall no faster than the previous version. All that carbon fiber is nice, but an 8 speed dual clutch transmission is probably damn heavy and how much of those 800 reputed horses can be put to the pavement, even with half of what is still probably a near 4000 pound Mustang's weight on the drive wheels.

Thats all you can come up with?!

32 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

You want to elevate the mustang and really impress people? Maybe create a mid-engine car "for the people" rather than trying to appeal to the CEO's and celebrities of the world.

A middle ground between inexpensive and unaffordable could make an interesting car option, though it probably would not make much money for Ford.  In the past, inexpensive mid-engine cars “for the people” have had limited success in sales volume (as far as I recall), though I’m not sure what price range you are referring to.

At low end of price range I recall cars like Fiat X1/9, Toyota MR2, and Pontiac Fiero.  I purchased a mid-engine Fiero GT for my son though I drove it for a bit first to try it out.

Anyway, a mid-engine car in the middle of price range between these inexpensive examples and high-cost exotics may have some appeal, though I think volume would still be relatively low.  The closest mid-engine car in a reasonable price range that comes to mind is the de Tomaso Pantera, which had a 351 cubic inch Cleveland for power.  A modern version of a Pantera-like using the 500 HP Dark Horse engine would be a cool sports car for the people, especially if Ford could keep price and weight low.

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Thats all you can come up with?!

Don't get me started...

You can't outrun physics, and the Mustang is a big heavy car even after some of the steel panels have been swapped for carbon fiber. And while half that weight on the drive wheels is an improvement, the Corvette and other mid engine cars have more. And given the difficulty even some very expert drivers had getting the GT500s horsepower to the ground, will another hundred horses really be an improvement.

Fastest Mustang ever, maybe the best... But still just a Mustang.

• Angry 1

16 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

These are the cars that have done sub 7 second laps at Nurburgring.  That’s all that needs to be said about performance.  

image.thumb.png.823d9bc3cdb550be6c1900d69ca58e6d.png

Nice! While not rear mid-engine as previously rumored, the GTD is still an impressive piece of machinery. For those disappointed with the price, this is just a limited edition homologation special. I'm sure Ford has plans for other editions to fill the gap between Dark Horse and GTD. In fact, some engineering and parts of the GTD may trickle down to the Shelby series, for example. There's already the EcoBoost and GT for the lower range below Dark Horse. Ford is just getting their bases covered with the 'S650' Mustang.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Oh for Pete’s sake.  You can buy a 315 hp ecoboost for $30k.  480 hp GT for $43k and Dark Horse with even more performance for $60k.  Previously you had GT350 and GT500.  And you’re complaining they don’t make an affordable performance Mustang?  Unbelievable.

This is targeting Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche supercars not Camaro and Corvette.

Make no mistake, I'm mad because it's an awesome car that's unobtainable. It goes into the same category as the gt. We get this awesome thing that really shakes things up, and I really want it, as I'm sure you and most other people in this comment section do. But I know that's not a realistic goal. It's too cool of a car to ever be obtainable for most car enthusiasts. It'll never depreciate to affordable levels, it'll always remain as a dream. So I'm basically pissed at myself for not being in a better position financially to afford this thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1