2024 Sonata Debuts

rmc523

I personally find Hyundai styling to be awful. Their designs rarely click with me,  it Kia on the other hand, has some very good designs in my opinion. Hyundai/Kia have done a good job of differentiating their vehicles, even if I don’t care for the Hyundai designs.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

“Why can Hyundai do a new family sedan and Ford can’t”?

Answer:

Why can’t Hyundai do F150, Superduty, Ranger, Bronco, Bronco Sport, Transit, Mustang or Expedition?

But Ford can and chose not to. The first years of the Taurus and Fairmont were well regarded, and the Fusion was excellent in all generations as well. But Ford let the sedans either disappear or mis handled them. Trucks usually have more loyal and traditional buyers where Ford is lucky enough to have strong products in those segments, and foreign competition have never been able to latch on.

I saw this Sonata (and others) at the auto show over the weekend.  I like it better than the outgoing model, but that one looked like a catfish.

I find the new Hyundai "modern 80's" design theme to be odd.  That Ioniq6 is downright ugly to me, yet has gotten rave reviews for styling.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, tbone said:

I personally find Hyundai styling to be awful. Their designs rarely click with me,  it Kia on the other hand, has some very good designs in my opinion. Hyundai/Kia have done a good job of differentiating their vehicles, even if I don’t care for the Hyundai designs.

The new Tuscon and Kona are actually quite striking/good looking imo. I especially love the quarter panel negative surfacing the Tuscon has. It looks like a Korean Urus to me, but more attractive imo. There's a lot going on, but everything flows well. 

50 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

The new Tuscon and Kona are actually quite striking/good looking imo. I especially love the quarter panel negative surfacing the Tuscon has. It looks like a Korean Urus to me, but more attractive imo. There's a lot going on, but everything flows well. 

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder.  While I don't think it's "ugly", I don't love it, and find the over styled origami surfacing odd looking, and won't age well.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 1:52 PM, fordmantpw said:

At least they got rid of the droopy face headlights.

I'm conflicted, the pre-facelifted headlights weren't great looking, but they have a lot of character, and creativity to their design. I loved how the chrome strip running along the hood flows seamlessly into the DRLs. One of the more interesting designs touches on a new sedan. 

The new one looks a little better, but more generic, it's also lost a lot of the Korean quirkiness sadly, the blockier front end graphics almost looks like they're trying to emulate a American muscle car or truck. Hyundai will probably kill it off by the end of this generation, but if they don't, I really hope they try to make it look exactly like this sedan concept. A few design traits are similar between the cars, but the concept has so much more elegance to its proportions.

IMG_20230908_225120.jpg

IMG_20230908_224917.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 11:52 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I'm conflicted, the pre-facelifted headlights weren't great looking, but they have a lot of character, and creativity to their design. I loved how the chrome strip running along the hood flows seamlessly into the DRLs. One of the more interesting designs touches on a new sedan. 

The new one looks a little better, but more generic, it's also lost a lot of the Korean quirkiness sadly, the blockier front end graphics almost looks like they're trying to emulate a American muscle car or truck. Hyundai will probably kill it off by the end of this generation, but if they don't, I really hope they try to make it look exactly like this sedan concept. A few design traits are similar between the cars, but the concept has so much more elegance to its proportions.

IMG_20230908_225120.jpg

IMG_20230908_224917.jpg

This concept is pretty sharp, and not consistent with any previous Hyundai design language I’ve seen.